- 2006-now Associate Professor, EECS / BE, MIT (dual appointment)
- 2002-2006 Assistant Professor, EECS / BE, MIT (dual appointment)
- 2001-2002 Research Scientist, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore CA
- William Nichols Findley Award for exceptional research paper, School of Applied and Engineering Physics, Cornell University (2001)
- Ferry Award (2003), NSF CAREER Award (2004)
- VanTassel Career Development Chair in Biomedical Engineering (2004)
- Member of US team of NSF-MEXT(Japan) Young investigator exchange program (2008)
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- Yong-Ak Song, Rohat Melik, Amr N. Rabie, Ahmed M. S. Ibrahim, David Moses, Ara Tan, Jongyoon Han, Samuel J. Lin, “Electrochemical Activation and Inhibition of Neuromuscular Systems with Modulation of Ion Concentrations Using Ion-Selective Membranes,” Nature Materials, 10, 980–986 (2011)
- Cheow, L.F. and J. Han, “Continuous Signal Enhancement for Sensitive Aptamer Affinity Probe Electrophoresis Assay Using Electrokinetic Concentration,” Analytical Chemistry, 83, 7086-7093. (2011)
- Chen, C.-H., A. Sarkar, Y.-A. Song, M. Miller, S.J. Kim, L. Griffith, D. Lauffenburger, and J. Han, “Enhancing Protease Activity Assay in Droplet-Based Microfluidics Using a Biomolecule Concentrator,” Journal of American Chemical Society, 133, 10368-10371 (2011)
- Ali Asgar. S. Bhagat, Han Wei Hou, Leon D. Li, Chwee Teck Lim, and Jongyoon Han, “Pinched flow coupled shear modulated inertial microfluidics for high throughput rare blood cell separation,” Lab on a Chip, 11(11): p. 1870 - 1878.(2011)
- Bow, H., Pivkin, I., Diez-Silva, M., Goldfless, S.J., Dao, M., Niles, J.C., Suresh, S. & Han, J. A microfabricated deformability-based flow cytometer with application to malaria. Lab on a Chip, 11, 1065-1073 (2011)
- Han Wei Hou, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Alvin Guo Lin Chong, Pan Mao, Kevin Shyong Wei Tan, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim, "Deformability based cell margination - A simple microfluidic design for malaria infected erythrocyte separation," Lab on a Chip, 10, 2605 - 2613. (2010)
- Sung Jae Kim, Sung Hee Ko, Kwan Hyoung Kang, and Jongyoon Han, “Direct Seawater Desalination by Ion Concentration Polarization,” Nature Nanotechnology, 5, 297-301 (2010)
- Jongyoon Han, Jianping Fu, and Reto B. Schoch, “Molecular Sieving Using Nanofilters: Past, Present and Future,” Lab on a Chip, 8, 23-33, 2008
- **Zi Rui Li, Gui Rong Liu, Yu Zong Chen, Jian-Sheng Wang, Hansen Bow, Yuan Cheng, Jongyoon Han, “Continuum Transport Model of Ogston Sieving in Patterned Nanofilter Arrays for Rod-like Biomolecule Separation,” Electrophoresis, 29, 329–339, 2008
- Schoch, R. B., L. F. Cheow and J. Han. “Electrical Detection of Fast Reaction Kinetics in Nanochannels with an Induced Flow” Nano Letters 7(12): 3895 -3900, 2007
- Duc Duong-Hong, Jian-Sheng Wang, G. R. Liu, Yu Zong Chen, Jongyoon Han, G.Hadjiconstantinou, “Dissipative particle dynamics simulations of electroosmotic flow in nanofluidic devices,” Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Published online DOI:10.1007/s10404-007-0170-7, 2007.
- Sung Jae Kim, Ying-Chih Wang, Jeong Hoon Lee, Hongchul Jang and Jongyoon Han, “Concentration Polarization and Nonlinear Electrokinetic Flow near Nanofluidic Channel,” Physical Review Letters, 99, 044501.1-4, 2007.
- J. Fu, R. R. Schoch, A. L. Stevens, S. R. Tannenbaum, and J. Han, “Patterned anisotropic nanofluidic sieving structure for continuous-flow separation of DNA and protein,” Nature Nanotechnology, 2, 121-128, 2007.
- Fu, J., J. Yoo, and J. Han, “Molecular sieving in periodic free-energy landscapes created by patterned nanofilter arrays” Physical Review Letters, 97, 018103, 2006.
- Wang, Y.-C., A. Stevens, and J. Han, “Million-fold preconcentration of Proteins and Peptides by Nanofluidic Filter,” Analytical Chemistry, 77, 4293-4299, 2005.
- Han, J. and H. G. Craighead, “Separation of Long DNA Molecules in a Microfabricated Entropic Trap Array,” Science, 288, 1026-1029, 2000.
** Singapore-MIT joint publication resulting from SMA-II collaboration
Selected current research support
- SMA Flagship Research Project (FRP-1) Role: co-PI 07/01/2005-6/30/2013 (phaseout begins on 07/2010)
Singapore-MIT Alliance, Computational Engineering
- NIH CDP Center grant Role: co-PI 09/01/2005 - 08/31/2013
- Co-PI @ BioSyM IRG, 10/01/08-9/30/13, SMART (Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology)
Microfluidic and Nanomechanic, Analytical Biosystems
- National Science Foundation Science and Engineering of Ion Concentration Polarization and Enhanced Electrokinetic Flow, 03/01/09-02/29/12