Michael Raghunath MD PhD
- 2011 Singapore-MIT-Alliance for Research & Technology (SMART) Faculty Fellow
- 2009 Tenure as Associate Professor at NUS
- 2008- Adjunct Investigator, Institute of Medical Biology (IMB), A*STAR
- 2005 – 2009 Deputy Head, Research, Division of Bioengineering,
- 2005-2008 Chair, Graduate Programme of Bioengineering, NUS Graduate School of Engineering & Integrative Sciences
- 2003- Associate Professor, Division of Bioengineering, Faculty of Engineering & Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS
- 2002–2003 Sr Research Associate, Dept. of Dermatology, University Hospital Muenster, Germany
- 2000-2002 Director of R&D with Dr. Suwelack Skin& Health Care AG, Billerbeck, German 1997-2000 Senior House Officer, Dept of dermatology, University Hospital Muenster, Germany
- 1995-1997 Professorial Research Fellow, Institute of Physiological Chemistry & Pathobiochemistry, University of Muenster, Germany
- Best Graduate Mentor Award, NUS Graduate School for Engineering and Integrative Sciences (NGS) 2011
- Walton Visiting Fellowship, National University of Ireland, Galway, (Science Foundation Ireland) 20010/2011
- Distinguished Raine Visiting Professor to University of Western Australia, 2008/2009
- Dean’s Commendation Award for Achievement in Teaching 2008
- Poster Prize TERMIS meeting (Toronto), 2007
- Technical chair of the ICBME 2005 in Singapore
- Promotion Prize of the University of Muenster 1998,
- Marfan Research Prize 1998 of the Marfan Foundation Germany; 1998
- 1st European Club for Paediatric Burns Prize1996,
- EMBO Short term Fellow 1996
- Cochair, 4th International Symposium on the Marfan Syndrome. 1996. Centennial Event, Davos, Switzerld
- Marfan-Passage of the Swiss Marfan Foundation Stiftung in 1995;
- Nestlé-Prize for Paediatric Research 1992.
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- Lareu RR, Harve KS, Peng YX, Benny P, Chen C, Wang Z, Rajagopalan R, Raghunath M. 2007. Collagen matrix deposition is dramatically enhanced in vitro when crowded with charged macromolecules: the biological
relevance of the excluded volume effect, FEBS Lett, Jun 12;581(14):2709-14. Epub 2007 May 21.
- Zeugolis DI, Khew ST, Yew SYE, Ekaputra AK, TongYW, Yung L-Y L, Hutmacher DW, Sheppard C, Raghunath M. 2008. Electro-spining of pure collagen fibres – Just an expensive way to make gelatin ?
Leading Opinion Paper, Biomaterials 29:2293-2305
- Harve KS, Ramakrishnan, V, Rajagopalan, R, Raghunath M. 2008. Macromolecular crowding in vitro as
means of emulating cellular interiors: when less might be more (Letter). Proc Natl Acad USA Sci, 2008 Dec
- Raghunath M, Wong YS, Farooq M, Ge R. Pharmacologically induced angiogenesis in transgenic zebrafish . Biophys Biochem Res Comm, 2009 Jan 23;378(4):766-71. Epub 2008 Dec 7
- Wang Z, Chen C, Finger SN, Shaqireen D/O KMM, Jung M, Schwarz H, Swanson N, Lareu RR, Raghunath M Suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid- a potential epigenetic therapeutic agent for lung fibrosis? Eur
Resp J 2009 Jul;34(1):145-55 epub ahead 12 Feb 2009
- Chen, C., Peng, Y., Wang, Z., Fish, P., Kaar, J., Koepsel, R., Russell, A., Lareu, R., and Raghunath, M. 2009. The Scar-in-a-Jar: Studying antifibrotic lead compounds from the epigenetic to extracellular level in a
single well. Br J Pharmacol 158(5):1196-209. Epub 2009 Sep 28
- Harve KS, Lareu R, Rajagopalan R, Raghunath M. Understanding how the crowded interior of cells stabilizes DNA/DNA and DNA/RNA hybrids-in silico predictions and in vitro evidence. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009
38(1):172-81. Epub 2009 Oct 23 [6.86]
- Khew ST, Paul P, Raghunath M, Tong YW. Characterization of amine donor and acceptor sites for tissue type transglutaminase using a sequence from the C-terminus of human fibrillin-1 and the N-terminus of osteonectin.
Biomaterials 2010, Jun;31(16):4600-8. Epub 2010 Mar 11
- Mukherjee S, Venugopal JR, Ravichandran R, Ramakrishna S, Raghunath M. 2011. Evaluation of Biocompatibility of PLACL/Collagen Nanostructured Matrices with cardiomyocytes as a Model for the Regeneration
of Infarcted Myocardium. Adv Functional Materials, 21 (12): 2291-2300
- Chen CZC, Loe F, Blocki A,, Peng Y, Raghunath M. Applying macromolecular crowding to enhance extracellular matrix deposition and its remodeling in vitro for tissue engineering and cell-based therapies. Adv
Drug Deliv Rev, 2011 Apr 30;63(4-5):277-290. Epub 2011 Mar 8
- SMART INNOVATION GRANT; Generation of autologous pericyte progenitors from peripheral blood for therapeutic angiogenesis; (2011-2013), PI.
- National Medical Research Council; Epigenetic therapy of fibrosis; 2010-2013, PI.
- Ministry of Defence of Singapore DIRP; Bone Marrow Stem Cell Therapy for Skin Regeneration Suitable for Use in the Field Hospital; 2011-2015, PI.
- Natl Research Foundation Singapore; Translational clinical Resarch (TCR) flagship grant, TRIOS; 2008-2013, PI.