Peter Krause is an assistant professor of political science at Boston College. Dr. Krause’s research and writing focuses on international security, Middle East politics, non-state violence, and social movements. He is currently completing his book manuscript on the political effectiveness of violence within national movements, as well as related articles on the causes and effects of social movement structure. He has previously published articles on the two-level effectiveness of non-state violence, international intervention in the Syrian civil war, the politics of division within the Palestinian national movement, the war of ideas in the Middle East, and a reassessment of U.S. operations at Tora Bora in 2001.
Krause has conducted extensive fieldwork throughout the Middle East. He is a faculty associate in the International Studies Program and the Islamic Civilization and Societies Program at Boston College. He received his PhD in Political Science from MIT. Before joining the faculty at Boston College, Krause was formerly a Research Fellow at the Crown Center for Middle East Studies of Brandeis University, as well as a Research Fellow at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs of the Harvard Kennedy School.
- "The Structure of Success: How the Internal Distribution of Power Drives Armed Group Behavior and National Movement Effectiveness," International Security, Vol. 38, No. 3 (Winter 2013/2014), 72-116
- “The Political Effectiveness of Non-State Violence: A Two-Level Framework To Transform a Deceptive Debate,” Security Studies, Vol. 22, No. 2 (Summer 2013), 259-294
- “Intervention in Syria: Reconciling Moral Premises and Realistic Outcomes,” with Eva Bellin, Middle East Brief, No. 64, Crown Center for Middle East Studies (June 2012)
- “Many Roads to Palestine? The Potential and Peril of Multiple Strategies within a Divided Palestinian National Movement,” Middle East Brief, No. 60, Crown Center for Middle East Studies (March 2012)
- "Public Diplomacy: Ideas for the War of Ideas," with Stephen Van Evera, Middle East Policy 16, no. 3 (2009): 106-134
- "The Last Good Chance: A Reassessment of U.S. Operations at Tora Bora," Security Studies 14, no. 4 (2008): 644-684