The mission of the MIT Technology Licensing Office is to benefit the public by moving results of MIT research into societal use via technology licensing, through a process which is consistent with academic principles, demonstrates a concern for the welfare of students and faculty, and conforms to the highest ethical standards.
This process benefits the public by creating new products and promoting economic development.
It helps MIT:
- show tangible benefits of taxpayers' support for fundamental research
- attract faculty and students
- encourage industrial support of research
- create discretionary income
- produce new job opportunities for graduates
- contribute to economic development locally and nationally
We will continue to be a world class model of excellence in university technology licensing.