

In attendance: Tyshaun Wynter, Janet Li, David Chang, Patrick Hulin, Michael Walsh, Alix de Monts, Amada David, Allan Miramonti, Alan Miranda, Tatiana Mamaliga, Rachel Meyer, Christine Chen, Betsy Riley, Daniel Hawkins, Paul Kominers, Leonid Grinberg, Ben Shaibu, Will Steadman, Karan Takhar

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM.

Tyshaun: All right. So you all should have gotten the agenda I sent out, so you should know what we're about to talk about. First things first, changes to exec bylaws. Actually, first things first we should do attendance.

(Rachel volunteers to do attendance)

Moving on, okay back to the exec bylaws. We're not voting on these tonight but they need to be brought up before exec. In section A clause 7, it states that the executive committee shall meet weekly, which is to be changed to the executive committee should meet at least biweekly. Are there any objections?

Ok next, the yearly UA survey. We're getting close to the point of sending out the new survey and what I need from everybody is what they want to ask. I know Ben suggested something about an idea you had.

Allan: I'd like them by next Monday.

Paul: Can we get a reminder?

Allan: Actually, I'd like them by this Thursday with a reminder email.

Tyshaun: Any ideas off the top of your head?

Betsy: I'd like to put in a question about the meal plan.

Leonid: Pharos question.

Patrick: Do you think Pharos is buggy?

Janet: How much do you know about the UA and Senate, use the website, etc.?

Tyshaun: Another example. Ben?

Ben: I'd like to do a general survey on movie theaters that students like most. I'm trying to set up a movie discount for MIT students and would like to know which ones to focus on.

Hawkins: I'd talk to class councils as well.

Tyshaun: Ok, Pharos, movies, which movie theaters to frequent.

Paul: What part of the MIT educational experience would they like to see online?

Tyshaun: That makes sense because they are trying to move things online.

Betsy: REX/Orientation

Alix: Just a thing for sustainability about whether or not you have a recycling bin in your room.

Patrick: I'm pretty sure we just throw out the recycling in EC.

Betsy: The problem is the person who writes the rules is not the one enforcing them.

Tyshaun: Next is the UA retreat. We have the UA retreat coming up on Saturday, October 8, so what we need is things to talk about.

Allan: Tom Kochan is coming to talk to us about negotiations for three hours. He came to talk to Senate last year for a half hour, which was really useful. We will also have Alana from SAO coming for two hours to talk about ideas. We went for quite a while during the UA retreat last year.

Rachel: Is there any more time left for retreat? I know last year it was overnight.

Allan: 8am to 1pm is booked. We'll have a meal break so we have three hours left.

Amanda: We should do group bonding.

Paul: We should do improv games. Not the useless ones but the ones with decent focus.

Amanda: I just think you should do something that's funny. There's something about laughing that provides for a good group dynamic.

Allan: Should I rent a clown?

Christine/David: Only if you dress up as the clown.

Leonid: Where is the retreat?

Tyshaun: Endicott House for 7 hours.

David: Separate groups?

Allan: Altogether. Speakers will be speaking to us as a whole.

Betsy: One big problem with Senate was that by April, people still didn't know other people's names. But it wouldn't hurt to have Senate interbonding to help with increased efficiency and having a more productive atmosphere.

Allan: Point taken.

Rachel: Non-hostile.

Allan: Yes, I'm trying to create a non-hostile work environment.

Tyshaun: I'm ordering a two-foot long medieval war hammer. I can send out a picture of it. The purpose of the hammer is for re-education.

David: I would rethink that one. I definitely would.

Tyshaun: No I'm sticking with it. Re-education.

Amanda: Wait, it's really two feet long?

Allan: That's what she said.

Tyshaun: After the meeting I'll send out the picture. Retreat is Saturday, October 8th. It's the weekend of Columbus Day.

Allan: We should have UA t-shirts by tomorrow.

Tyshaun: The shirt says something with circles that says “join our circles.”

Allan: I’m not taking responsibility for that one. Are there any last things for the retreat before I make the retreat agenda?

Alix: Can you tell us what’s on it?

Allan: Interbonding things; exec and senate can have each have bonding and then we can all bond together.

Amanda: Do you want to think about what that looks like?

Betsy: Part of Senate bonding that would be important is to practice Robert’s Rules of Order.

Allan: That’s good. I think that’s definitely going on the agenda.

Betsy: It can be incorporated into Senate bonding.

Janet: For exec, there should be training on doing reimbursements, updating the website, etc.

Amanda: How many people are going?

Allan: About 30.

Betsy: Another retreat idea. It also took me too long to internalize the org chart so it would be helpful to point out relevant administrators and the reporting structure of MIT. For if you have a question about something you know where to go. It would help to humanize and personalize the administration.

Rachel: We should make it into a sporkle quiz.

Alix: Basically around a game.

Paul: Can we call it our strategic retreat?

Tyshaun: The last item is open forum. Anything else in front of exec?

David: Oh yeah, I need two names to approve. Same pitch as before but we needed a new person for CSL due to a scheduling conflict.

Paul: Can you clarify this same pitch?

David: For CSL, what we wanted we wanted was representation from East, West, and affiliated. We lost affiliated but we have a new affiliated person, who went to the CSL last Friday. The person is Catherine Voghel.

Rachel: Why can’t we take this to Senate?

David: Because Will doesn’t want me to put it on the agenda until October 4th. So that’s how I ended up on CUAFA—the person we appointed also had a scheduling conflict and the meeting was the next day so I didn’t know who to put up, and I was like well I guess I can do it. Fine, I’ll bring it up at Senate whenever they’re done with budgetary stuff tonight.

Tyshaun: So does anyone have anything else to discuss?

David: So there is only one member on ua-judboard. Or the website is not up-to-date. I just want to make sure that we still have a Judboard.

Hawkins: I have a topic. What are going to do about elections because right now elections suck. It's a separately located server that we have to pay IS&T for and no one knows how to run it except Quentin but he's not on ElectComm or a student. We need to figure something out even if it's something less than optimally secure. It's better than relying on someone else to run elections.

Tyshaun: Can we get him to train someone to do it?

Hawkins: I've been learning from him this entire election process but it's not an easy learning curve.

Paul: On this question, how hard is it to build something from the ground up?

Hawkins: I don't know.

David: I think some maintenance issues would still be in place.

Paul: You can build something better and better documented.

Amanda: Qualtrics is a survey software and you can upload spreadsheets and you can do what year and living group and see what they're eligible to vote for and that can be changed based on whatever you upload on the spreadsheet. They use it in the behavioral labs, and it's \$5000 per year. I don't know how much it would cost for MIT but MIT does have some kind of licenses around for it.

Hawkins: We can look into that. Whether to do registration online is in the election code. We're supposed to allow undergrads the option to register to vote. We don't do that because that lowers turnout if people need to do that to vote. The alternative is to sketchily pull data out for affiliations because no one gives out the MIT directory in electronic form. It's hard. There's no way to get everyone, and even if we could because it's the MIT directory, some people have it suppressed or not on there. Housing and FSILG won't give us full lists of membership, only numbers.

Tyshaun: As for the computer side of it, do we want to pass that to the IT chair?

Daniel: We can try.

Tyshaun: Do we have enough people to approve minutes? I guess not.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:37 PM.