



42 U.A.S. 7

Minutes from November 15, 2010

The meeting was called to order at 7:37 pm, when the Senate Picture was taken.

The official meeting began at 7:48 pm.

1. Opening Remarks

Jonté: This is 42 U.A.S. 7. We have two more meetings left; we have S.B. 2 and then we have 42 U.A.S. 8. That's going to be the last regularly scheduled Senate meeting of the year. You guys have already made it pretty far, we still have somewhere to go. A lot of you, as you saw from the email, are working on constituency events; I've seen a lot of creative events. I think it's great that you guys are fulfilling your duties as Senators and doing it in such a way that it benefits constituents. Keep tackling issues and make your events awesome. If you haven't told me about what you plan to do for your constituency event, please try to contact myself or Tim as soon as possible. We have money to do it, and we should put it to full use.

2. Exec Update

Sammi: So, we met with student reps on HDAG and we met with Colombo. The minutes will be posted on the UA website in a few minutes. Basically, the gist of it was advocating for a proposal where we should ask students which plans they preferred, including the number of meals with a cost associated with each choice. There was some pretty good support from some of the student reps. I think they're considering the plan with the rest of the group tomorrow morning at the HDAG meeting. There are more meetings about advising this week. We're also working on student alumni dinners; you'll see when Ashley writes the next bill for funding at the next regularly scheduled Senate meeting.

Jessica: For freshmen advising stuff, is it just for incoming freshmen?

Sammi: Yes.

3. Approval of Minutes from 42 U.A.S. 6

Alec: Motion to approve the minutes.

Minutes for 42 U.A.S. 6 are approved.

4. Additional FinBoard Allocations for AMSA

Cynthia: Here's a representative from AMSA. They're asking for \$300 for a lecture series; it's going to be 3 lectures for \$100 each. The money's going to be spent on food. If you have any questions, feel free to ask; it's similar to how I asked for LSC a couple weeks ago.

Allan: What are you expecting for attendance?

AMSA Rep: Around 40-60 people.

Allan: Are you going to advertise?

AMSA Rep: Yes, with email, fliers, etc.



Owen: Can you elaborate on what the money is for?

AMSA Rep: Doctors from MGH are expressing the desire to talk about ASMA and different organizations. They're willing to do this for free. We weren't allocated a lot of money; we're almost out, and we've already had 3-4 events. We need money for food just to give the incentive for people to come.

Allan: I call the question.

Allocation to AMSA is approved.

5. 42 U.A.S. 6.1: Bill to Update the Constitution to Reflect Changes in 42 U.A.S. 4.1

Alex J: You should vote yes.

Jonté: By the way, from now on, if you haven't picked up a new version of the LaTeX class, all new legislation will have this pending legislation statement; it's just so that other people outside the Senate or outside the UA can clearly know if this piece of legislation has been approved or not. We've had some previous issues come up, so this should clarify that. Sorry, I didn't know where else to say this.

Back to 42 U.A.S. 6.1. It had to sit on the table for a week, because it amends the Constitution.

Alec: I call the question.

42 U.A.S. 6.1 passes.

6. 42 U.A.S. 7.1: Bill to Allocate Funding for CSL

Owen: ***Reads bill.*** Basically, these are two events. One is a Mini-Wellness Week, it's just for one day. It's similar to Wellness Week, since it's a time when they have snacks and encourage wellness and health. The other is the Capture the Beaver event. It's a take on Capture the Flag but campus-wide. Midline is going to be Mass Ave. The money for Wellness Day will be for publicity and food. For Capture the Beaver, we want glow sticks, and the beavers that we'll actually buy.

Allan: Was Wellness Week well received last year?

Owen: Yes.

Allan: Do we know if this will be well attended?

Owen: The general reception is yes it will be attended, but we're not expecting more than \$300.

Jessica: Is this still Wellness Week?

Owen: No, that's next semester. It's in the Spring.

Janet: When is this planned for?

Owen: In around two and a half weeks.

Mun Ngh: There's a study break; wellness week is on Friday, and after that will be Capture the Beaver. Richard would like to add some more money allocations for other events. He will send another bill at the next meeting. (Paraphrased.)

Jonté: So, what you're saying is, there are two projects that CSL will be bringing next time to Senate.

Mun Ngh: Yes.



Jessica: I motion to call the question.

42 U.A.S. 7.1 passes.

7. Approval of Jessica Chen as Vice-Chair of the Committee on Public Relations

Janet: Well, Jessica's right here. She's the MacGregor Senator as well. She's done a very good job on the PR committee; she's very creative. She came up with the Idea Wheel which attracts people to come. It has a bunch of topics and people spin it, and whatever it lands on they talk about or we talk about. I think you also did the raffle prize. This upcoming week, there is going to be a Free Dinner with the UA. That's actually going to be next week, and I think you helped come up with that as well. She's very creative, and I think she'll do a very good job as Vice Chair.

Jessica: Hi, I'm really excited about all the events we're going to have. Do you have any questions?

Allan: What will your responsibilities be as Vice Chair?

Jessica: I'll probably play a bigger role in setting up for events and such. So far, I've been mostly in the implementation of them, and I want to be a part of the planning.

Tim J: What's been the most successful PR event this year, and why?

Jessica: Well, I think all of them have been really successful. So far, or all the ones we've had ideas for? I think the study break was a really great idea. We all came up with that idea. I don't know who came up with the idea of having it in the middle of the night and stuff.

Janet: We have more ideas. We're going to have more ideas coming.

Adam: Can you say a little more about what the study break was, and why it was successful?

Jessica: It was at midnight; we had food and snacks, and a lot of people came. The people that were studying there also got some free snacks and a quick break.

Closed Session

Jessica Chen is approved as the Vice Chair of the Committee on Public Relations.

8. New Business and Discussion

Jonté: Seeing no new business, we'll now move into discussion mode. The topic of discussion tonight is constituency communication. Remember, budgets are due today to Ellen.

Ellen: I'm mostly only missing yours Jonté.

Jonté: That brings me to point two. We have allocated \$150 per senator. For those of you that are planning and organizing events and for those of you that are thinking about organizing events, I wanted to hear your feedback on the allocation amount. Where do you think it should be? Was it right? Do you need more funding? I'd like to hear from you guys what you think an appropriate amount is. I'd like to hear your experience of the events, and I'd like to hear if any particular strategies are useful and such. What should our target be for this allocation?

Allan: My event hasn't happened yet, but, looking at the planning on paper, it looks like a good amount to have. I wouldn't have asked for more or less.



Adam: For people who haven't had their event yet or haven't planned it completely, why is that the case? I feel like this would be something more useful at the beginning of the semester.

Rachel C: I just joined, so I haven't had time; but, I'm counting on doing mine in the beginning of the next few weeks.

Betsy: I've found it useful just to talk to people in the hallways. We've been waiting for a big discussion to let itself to such an event, but that didn't happen till later. So, that's why.

Alex J: Clarification, how many people have not spent the allocation?

Jonté: I have received proposals on the order of 5-8 living groups at this point. The ones I recall occurring: Laura was the first, and she held hers in conjunction with McCormick Exec. Shuang and Bobby had their event at the beginning of last month – the fourth of November. I think we have at least one planned for this week. Baker, you guys ended up moving your event until next week. Next House, I believe, is still having their event tomorrow. The other event this week is New House on Wednesday. I've also received proposals from Burton Conner. Allan sent me his at Random Hall. Did I miss anyone?

Jessica: Me!

Jonté: Oh yes, Rachel.

Jessica: You did not just call me Rachel.

Jonté: Did I? Sorry! So, you are working with Rachel. I think the fraternities are working on something, too. That's what I have. We have the email; I'm going to update it and send it out tonight. If you haven't submitted something, please come talk to us.

Sammi: Point of information – when are you submitting the budget?

Tim J: I'm taking care of it right now, it will happen after this meeting tonight.

Jonté: Back to the main point...we've heard that \$150 is about right. What do you guys think?

Ben: At least at New House, I think we allocated most of the funds to food; it gave us little wiggle room. I guess maybe a small amount might not hurt, but I think we bought too much food.

Jessica: I guess to add to his comment...what I'm planning right now: half of it is food, and half is for the event itself. It leaves less for if I just did a whole food event. I'm buying more snacks than actual food. Depending on how all the senators want to make it. We can have really good food or small snacks with a good event.

Ashley: You can also make food; that's what I did for \$75. I had a barbeque; actually, I had two.

Will: I was thinking about roasting. I think I was also going to buy 20 things of cream for around \$60 and make a bunch of ice cream.

Jonté: If there's no more discussion...I think me submitting a budget is okay, but you guys all have a chance to voice issues and concerns. At this point, it looks like we're going to stay with the status quo at \$150 a senator. I encourage you guys to have this discussion between now and S.B.2. I think that's what we're going to go ahead and submit at this point. Does anyone want to comment? For those that had events, Shuang, Bobby, and Laura, how did it go?

Shuang: At my event, I had real food: Wings over Somerville. The turnout was pretty good. I avoided people who dine and dash by specifically saying in my email, no dine and dash. There were 3 people that



dine and dashed. I didn't track them down or anything. Besides that, we talked about all sorts of issues like dining, enrollment, printers, etc. There were people that were generally concerned that talked to us a lot. There were also people that sat and ate food.

Bobby: I know a couple of seniors were talking about the opportunity for coming back to the dorm next year, so I thought it was really good that others like Tim showed up to help us.

Laura: I ran my event in conjunction with a pumpkin carving event. I guess a lot of people in my dorm wouldn't be interested if I just scheduled a UA event, so I feel like I got to hear from some people I wouldn't have heard from before. I just kind of had an informal chat, and I brought a bunch of handouts. This gave me a good chance to see what some people were thinking. I also got a chance, in addition, to talk to some non-students in the dorm. There were some GRTs. That was interesting to hear some of those opinions, even though there weren't my official constituents.

Janet: How did you guys publicize your events?

Shuang: Email and word of mouth.

Laura: Same.

Jonté: Ben, do you want to talk about how you're publicizing?

Ben: Right now, we're just spamming inboxes. What we're doing now, we're sending out emails like every other day. We're handing out fliers, talking to people in the dorms, asking people if they want to come before the event, etc. We're holding a competition between all the houses; so, all the houses can compete, and whichever wins will actually be the best house. To stay, you have to fill out a form. This will make people stay a bit longer so they can help their house to win and to participate more.

Jonté: Other senators? I think it's useful to have ideas to bounce off of, not just I want to have food. Anyone else want to speak to this topic? I think that's all I had on constituency conversations. The other two things I wanted to ask about were the pre-senate admin dinners. We've had administrators; a lot of them came in, and we haven't actually organized dinners. Usually, what we did last year, we invited a few people from Exec and a few people from Senate. We invited a few people to help us with getting things done on campus and provided us with a bunch of insight on how best to approach h issues. Is that something you guys would be interested in doing? We've taken Senators out; they've met with Alums which are also their mentors. I think the discussions we've had have been productive. What are your thoughts on that? What I'm trying to say is we're trying to put together a budget, and I'm trying to involve the senators as much as possible.

Shuang: If we're doing this, we should keep this in small groups, like 4 people max, maybe 6 tops. That way, it just works better.

Jessica: Who in the administration would this entail? Who would be having dinner with?

Jonté: Basically anyone we invite to Senate. These would be like Deans, Dean Colombo, Dean Hastings, maybe Kirk, etc. As always we're trying to take feedback...basically we're looking through org charts. Basically, anyone is fair game. Any more discussion on that?

Adam: Are you planning on continuing the Senate guests like at the beginning of the year? I think that was when Senate was most productive.

Jonté: Did you guys like the format? Did that work for you guys?



Alex D: I really like the guests we had earlier this year. I think having two guests a night made meetings too long. We didn't get to start on bills until like 9:30 or something. I really like that the guests we had. It seemed to be sort of lower level admins who are interested in hearing from Senate about what we thought, while I feel like there's a tendency for higher level admin to not do that as much. While perhaps any given influence that we get is less effective, I felt like they were a lot more open to that influence.

Laura: I think one speaker a night is probably fine; it's nice to have guest speakers. I kind of liked the ones that lead into discussion. I think having two speakers in one night...people kind of get frustrated toward the end of the meeting.

Adam: What I really liked about the speakers was that it introduced a lot of new senators to people from the administration and it showed that there a lot of people in the institute that care. I think my favorite part sitting in the discussion was hearing the senators say: my constituency says this about the issue; going back and talking about the people you're supposed to be representing is one of the most important responsibilities. I get the sense that a lot more senators were taking issues back, effectively representing the living groups instead of just pretending.

Betsy: I think it also helped that the discussion part was in the beginning. Maybe just moving the discussion part of the agenda to right after the speaker would more facilitate what the discussion would bring. I know it got moved in UAS 4 or something – the discussion section got moved to the end. What do people think about that? I was wondering if people think that's a good idea?

Jonté: My personal opinion was that having the discussion at the beginning of the meeting facilitates more discussion. I feel like people are fired up more than they are after we've gone through a whole litany of parliamentary procedures. I feel like when we also move the discussion to the end of the meeting, it's the last thing between people and a P-Set and going out with friends and going to dorm rooms. I feel like, as a body, to communicate to constituencies is important; that's just my opinion, but what you guys say is ultimately what we'll do because we're accountable to you guys.

Last thing, and I'm going to open it up. As we had at the beginning of the year, we had a special budgetary senate committee that essentially looks at the budget that's proposed. This committee consists of a few people from Exec and a few people from Senate. We need some people to come in a little after an hour and to come and present it to Senate. I think this is a good time to put together a committee. If you're interested, please speak to myself and Tim and send us an email to ua-senate-officers. We'd like to see some new faces in there. It's a great opportunity to get involved and another opportunity to meet the fine people on Exec. That's all I had in terms of discussion.

Jessica: Will there be more information on when these are?

Jonté: Yes, if you're interested, come talk to me. When we're interested is based on when you guys are free.

Alex: I just wanted to know that, by a show of hands, how many people think that undergrads are happy? Why was this meeting one hour long, and why was this patting ourselves on the back? Then, why are we meeting for an hour if this is our second to last hour meeting of the year? What are you guys doing to undergrads to make their lives better?

Owen: We have work to do, and work sucks. It's not life here sucks, but work does. It's like masochism; it's too much to do.



Alex J: So, you think that students are only unhappy because of work.

Owen: Yes, there are no other big topics anyways, except the topics that are already being addressed.

Alex J: I would disagree, just by the Tech. There's no reason to not introduce legislation and discuss legislation on improving student life. I think you'll be very hard pressed to find students that believe we shouldn't do that.

Alex D: Since you brought up dining, since that's the only concrete thing you've brought up, I've seen nothing that says Senate can do anything. Issuing a bill won't do anything.

Alex J: You can do more right? You can group your constituents. You can ask for money to hold events with pizza to get everyone. By not doing anything, by not talking to constituents, by not going to people, I don't think you're fulfilling your jobs.

Almas: With regards to the dining plan, there are some things that are being planned that I know of outside of Senate. The UA isn't supposed to be involved with partial, biased things. There are some things planned I can talk to you later about.

Adam: I think it's important to remember that Senate is most effective when it's proactive. If you wait until a plan is released and finalized, and you wait until the students are really pissed off, that's not really a time to gather feedback. It's most important to know students are not doing well before a final conclusion is reached. You can go out to fix that; it's much better than to wait for an issue to blow up.

Vrajesh: To kind of follow up on Adam, there are two to three things going on. I think these would be good topics. One is the enrollment increase; there's no plan to change the increase itself, but if you're able to identify areas that other people haven't thought about, that might be something which would actually have an impact. The other is on some of the changes that are happening structurally, or how Kendall Square is being structured. These are kind of large issues. The last one I would add is the Chancellor search. MIT is going to have a new Chancellor. Yes, you can't directly give input, but you can speak to me or Sammi. Questions you could ask your constituency are what sort of traits you are looking for in the next Chancellor. What student interests should they be familiar with, or what priorities would you like them to have?

Alex D: You mentioned we should be thinking about renovations to the Student Center.

Vrajesh: In general, there's planning going on. I know that DSL is looking at the Student Center architecturally to see where there's a better way to use all this space. In this way, it's just a planning phase, just like Walker Memorial; there are two different types of planning phases, but at any rate...right now is kind of a point in time when things are sort of undecided. Now is kind of the best time to provide this input. This is similar to what our discussion was for educational technology; the information you gave conditioned them on what to look out for.

Alex D: Do you know what the avenue is for looking at that is?

Will: Phil Walsh has been looking into that. You can also talk to me. I think we have a meeting with Lumbar on Space Planning; therefore, you would also be involved in this. I hear, so far, that it's very tentative. Therefore, I have not heard any details yet. If people give me some sort of feedback on specific things, in general, on a discussion over Walker, I could bring that up. Also, generally the student center hasn't really changed since the 80s, so it's due for some changes. How can we do that?



Jonté: I think the initial topic was being proactive. I think it's a really good question. We still have a lot of time left, even though we only have two more meetings.

Vrajesh: You can use the UA survey too. You can look in the comments field of the UA survey where the raw data is given. The other thing is the categories. If you looking at the UA survey, you can look at all of the categories. I think you can work on these issues this year, and you can ask your constituencies.

Jonté: Is there more discussion?

Shuang: On the topic of dining...we started a petition in Simmons, and I met with the dining chair. Basically, they want me to have a good plan for them. They said if you don't have some suggestions, don't write a petition. I was wondering...

Jonté: I think whenever you're approaching something like this, someone's always going to have an opinion about what you're doing no matter what the topic is. I wouldn't let that discourage you from continuing the process of collecting feedback. In addition to that, it's your job to know what they want and what their opinion is. While I'm not sure that the petition is something that the UA thinks the senators should be officially supporting, if that's your chosen method of collecting feedback, then that's fine. There's always surveys. If you have questions about a topic, I'm sure there are many other senators around here who are also asking the same questions.

Hawkins: Just wanted to pop in that a lot of effort has already been put into creating a plan that students support; you should read the DPC report, and you'll find out what that is.

Ben: Could you clarify on that report?

Hawkins: I can send it to the list, but basically a couple years ago, we felt that the Blue Ribbon was not doing as good of a job as it could do, so we wrote a bill and formed a dining proposal committee. In 6 weeks, through a very hardcore and transparent process, we came up with a report that basically outlines what we think the dining system should look like short term and long term.

Vrajesh: I've now posted the minutes for Senators to read on the home page. At your leisure, especially if you're from one of the dining hall dorms, please do see the discussion on that.

Owen: If that happened Friday, can we know about these things sooner? In general, can we know about this?

Vrajesh: I mentioned it. I posted the minutes, no worries. I'm trying to communicate with you guys. That's a good point, though; we should've sent something out saying we had a meeting.

Allan: So, I'm sure that you all have heard the Ugliest Man on Campus competition. As a pure student, I am the campaign manager for the HDAG proposal for this competition. I think we've had extreme experience with the bill and know how ugly it is. As a student, I would like you to give this bill all that you truly desire.

Jonté: Point of information – did you mean proposal?

Allan: Yes, sorry.

Jonté: Is there any more discussion?

Betsy: Yesterday, Allan, Janet, Vrajesh, and I went to BILC, a conference for annual schools to come together and spend a day talking about government. We spent a day talking about it. I thought it was pretty good. It was mostly a place to see how others worked. The one thing that was happening was to



hear how FinBoard works at other schools. At other schools, they have a sort of allocation once a semester, but every week you can apply for money. Some other schools have more dysfunctional FinBoards where their UA has no control.

Allan: So we went to this thing. While the points are valid, I also encourage everyone here to take pride in the UA. I feel personally we have one of the strongest student governments; we are by far the best. Because we're the best, we need to hit them twice as hard and step it up.

Betsy: Another concern was on moving back to the dorm after a leave. I was wondering if you constituents that have talked about this and whether this was an issue at all. If you aren't thinking about this, I haven't asked about this before, so maybe you haven't talked about this.

Rachel M: It's pretty hard, unless you tell medical to wave their magic wand, but it's going to be better after this year because we'll have empty beds. If you're trying to be readmitted for a spring term, you might find out in the middle of IAP.

Betsy: How difficult would it be to change that?

Rachel M: I don't have any nice things to say about s³. Liz worked with the m on an advisory group last year. You can talk to her.

Tim J: Reading the minutes from Vrajesh and Sammi's meeting on HDAG, I would encourage every person to read them. They are very interesting in terms of what Sammi and Vrajesh present and how Colombo responds. It kind of shows an interesting relationship between Colombo and the rest of HDAG, so I don't know exactly how that relationship is. It seems a little overbearing at least to me. I would encourage everybody to read them and to go talk to their constituencies and see if they really think what Colombo thinks they think. I'm curious about Athena Printing.

Allan: We're meeting with Oliver this Friday at 5 pm. From what I've talked to them about so far, this is in a licensing phase. I've gotten some suggestions from other people as to areas I should approach – things like staplers and hole punchers – making sure the right people have the right control. Once we meet with them this Friday, we should be in a position to start. At this phase, any questions on printing? If your constituency has any thoughts on printing, please forward them to me.

Ben: Is that committee still open for new members?

Allan: Absolutely, I would love new members; just shoot me an email.

Jonté: On that note, just as a reminder, the committees are important, and you should be on one. On the status of what certain committees are doing, you need to see if you're actually on top of it.

Janet: You guys should also come to Exec meetings; those are really good.

Tim J: Can you send the Exec minutes to Senate?

Alec: Yes.

Alex D: You can send it to ua-exec, and Senate is on that.

Jonté: Guys, utilize the ua-senate list. If you have an idea or have a topic you want to discuss, we're all listening. If you put an idea out there, I'm pretty sure someone will respond. Is there anything else?

9. Closing Remarks and Good of the Order

Jonté: I think I've pretty much done my closing remarks. So, if there aren't any other announcements...



Adam: Do you guys know what each committee is doing?

Alec: I can also send updates to Senate...

Adam: I 'm suggesting that Senate should know what the committees are doing. You should read the Exec updates. All the chairs should be here at the beginning of Senate, so if you have questions, you can ask them.

Jonté: Any other announcements?

The meeting was adjourned at 8:59 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Alec Lai
UA Secretary General