

1. Quote of the Night

Paul Kominers, SCEP Chair: "This is not a hostile work environment?"

Allan Miramonti, UA President: "It is, and people like it."

James Douberley, EC President: "On the record, Allan says Senate likes it rough."

2. Summary

The Vice Speaker of the Senate, Senate Representative to Finboard, and Sergeant at Arms were elected. Finboard Fall Cycle 1 Appeals were approved, with some discussion from the MIT Shakespeare Ensemble. Updates were given by the Dining Chair and the Assistant Vice President of Resource Development. Cooking classes will start in the spring and a survey on the plan will be distributed to make potential improvements next year; any concerns should go through individual dorms' dining chairs. Resource Development is working on new projects including a stapler trial in Athena clusters, movie deals, and a potential Costco or Target shuttle. Money from the Senate Discretionary Fund was allocated for student-alumni dinners for the Committee on Alumni Relations. The online UA Fall Survey was distributed to Senators, with the goal to get 40% of each constituency to submit it. Finally, the UA President gave an update on UA restructuring by discussing the planned UA Council.

3. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 7:38 pm.

4. Roll Call

The following members were absent: Victor Hung (Next House), Caroline Shinkle (Maseeh), Stephanie Chen (Simmons), Delian Asparouhov (Fraternities), Kathy Fang (Sororities), Alix de Monts (Sustainability)

5. Introduction

Will: Welcome to the fourth meeting of Senate. Prize to best dressed is this iPhone that we found on the table.

Janet: That's mine!

Will: Oh, well that works.

6. Exec Update (1/2)

Will: I'll turn it over to Allan now to do an exec update.

Allan: So you guys should be getting, after exec meetings every other week, updates. You should read that and find out things about committees if you're interested. We have two committees speaking tonight, Betsy for Dining and Ben Shaibu for Resource Development. I've been working more on restructuring, and have presented to a wide range of stakeholders. For example, I presented to the Chancellor today; he is mostly onboard. I will release the survey tonight; it will be electronic and not paper. I will explain more about that when we get to it on the agenda.

Will: Since Senators wanted to learn more about Exec, we've been bringing in committee chairs and doing exec updates. Since they're important too.

7. New Business

Will: Now new business, if any new senators want to bring in new business that they couldn't put on the agenda. I think we got everything. Is there any new business?

8. Approval of 43 UAS 3 Minutes

Will: So we'll move on to approval of the minutes.

Janet: Nobody sent me corrections.

Ryan: Motion to approve minutes.

Will: Any objections to approving the minutes? Ok, they are approved.

Minutes for 43 UAS 3 are approved.

9. Exec Update (2/2)

Allan: I forgot a bigger thing. I want to give a big thank you to the Senate members and Exec members who came to the UA Advisory Committee meeting. They loved you guys. The top piece of feedback to me was, "Oh my god, Allan, people are happy this year."

Will: Work satisfaction!

Paul: This is not a hostile work environment?

Allan: It is, and people like it.

James: On the record, Allan says Senate likes it rough.

Allan: Also, I'll have more food next time; I wasn't expecting so many people.

10. Update on Class Council Budgets

Will: Moving on. We approved the class council budgets last meeting. But we wanted some clarification. We wanted them to explain a little more about what's going on.

Betsy: Can you make that larger by any chance?

Will: So that's most of the relevant information. Amanda, do you want to present?

Amanda: The red is what was modified since the last Senate meeting. We added ice-skating and it costs money to subsidize skate rentals, and we pay for food. Also Thanksgiving treats for our Thanksgiving study break. And then more study breaks... \$500. Random free food events or other festive study breaks. So I know it's very vague, but that's what we do. I can answer any questions.

Will: The purpose of this was really just to address the confusion from before. Does everyone feel that there is sufficient knowledge now?

Ryan: Do we have to approve these again?

Will: I don't think so. We already did. It would be silly to approve it twice. Class of 2015.

Amanda: I will present for the class of 2015 as well. So from last time, there was a miscalculation. So we clarified that the -\$5000 for the sweatshirts wasn't relevant to this budget. So it's just that the class will subsidize \$3000 for sweatshirts and are not factoring in random transaction costs. Questions?

Will: Awesome.

Amanda: Thanks.

11. Presentations by Committee Chairs

Will: Ok, so we're going to move on to presentations by committee chairs. The purpose is to provide an introduction. Talking to people is a good way to find out what they're doing. So if you have questions, please ask as they present.

11.1 Dining

Will: Betsy, you're first. What's dining? What's happening?

Betsy: There's a bunch happening. I'll talk about the biggest thing for dining hall dorms, non-dining hall dorms, and then general. The biggest action item for non dining dorms, besides kitchen renovations, is cooking classes. There's lots of interest from dining chairs and the administration for this. There's one in EC that's very popular. People are very enthusiastic. Chefs on campus are enthusiastic about working with students. It's great. The semester is almost over in some senses. We'll be running a vegan cooking class with a Bon Appetit vegan specialist in December. But cooking classes in dorms won't start until next semester.

For dining hall dorms, based on feedback from dining chairs and the housemasters of those dorms, we're taking it day to day. We're thinking about how the plan can be improved long-term. We'll be running a survey soon about what other types of plans students would want and how much they would be willing to pay for it. So we can figure it out for next year. There are also concerns about special needs diets. Right now the model is to have all of that in each dining hall. That spreads out the options. So we are talking about consolidating it into one dining hall. That will be on the survey. The biggest change is that there's going to be a new director of dining, for dining and residential life. It's a step away from strictly dining operations supervision, and is more about how dining fits into the whole undergraduate community. The hiring process for that is going on in the next week or two. Hopefully it will go well.

Rachel: Is that person replacing more than just Dennis?

Betsy: It's replacing Richard Berlin. Dining to housing operations.

Rachel: What about Donna?

Betsy: Donna will still be here.

Rachel: So it's a person in between them.

Will: Rich Berlin was the old person in charge of dining.

Betsy: There are different positions for the assistant dean for dining, the assistant dean for housing, and the director of residential life.

Will: How do you do this if you want a cooking class for your dorm?

Betsy: If you live in a non-dining dorm and are not Bexley, you have a dining chair who can say what you want at our meetings.

Regina: So there is only one dining chair in the dorm? Is there one to that dorm government and then one to the UA too?

Betsy: So I'm the Dining Chair for the UA, but each dorm has its own dining chair who will talk to me too.

Rachel: It's one person.

Regina: The Maseeh dining rep lives on my hall but I've never seen her report to me or anything.

Betsy: She has been reporting to me.

Regina: It just seems like she's mostly interacting with Maseeh exec.

Betsy: They are connected with dining within the dorms. It's easier to talk to them rather than survey the whole dorm every time.

Jennifer: I know there was some interest for swiping twice for one meal.

Betsy: Yes, that's a big concern: multiple swipes per meal session. There are a couple reasons for this: one is to bring in a guest. There is no guest pass system now. Also, it's all-you-can-eat, but if you leave you can't go back in. There's been a push to cover everything so you can go in twice in one meal. Nothing's changing this semester, but we're considering it for next year when the new contract comes in. Any other questions? You can always find me or email me. Your dining chairs are also really competent and you can talk to them.

Alan: Is there a reason you don't have meeting minutes on your website?

Betsy: I have four.

Alan: If you have minutes, have you been uploading them to the website?

Betsy: I haven't, but I can.

Will: So you can email her at ua-dining-chairs.

11.2 Resource Development

Will: Moving onto Ben Shaibu.

Ben: I am the UA's Assistant Vice President on Resource Development. We've been working on different projects. We bring in parties outside MIT to bring them in and bring in benefits to undergraduates. Will, did you get my powerpoint?

Will: That looks like it.

Ben: I'll just go through what we've been working on. First there's Shaw's, or the Star Market. I don't know how many of you have been there. They're just down the street. There's a 5% discount. We've also been working on the shuttle, which is running every Saturday. They're also offering special student rates for student groups. We're also working with Trader Joe's, to get a shuttle there. They're every Sunday from 11:30 to 4:30 pm. It's going through Kendall and Central Square as well. That's partly funded by DormCon, the Baker Foundation, and the GSC. We're also working with Kaplan and the Princeton Review. They're offering three courses for MIT students and that's an additional source of income. We're trying to get movie deals going. We're also trying to get a stapler trial running in Athena clusters so students can actually use staplers. We're also working on the Produce Market. We're working on a Costco or Target shuttle. We also have a discount at the Shaw's in Cambridge but we're working on having one with the Shaw's in Boston as well.

There are additional resources on campus you can look out for as well. Just general software that IS&T is giving out, like Microsoft Word. You can get a Zipcar. Other things MIT's giving out. It's all on the UA website on the resources page if you want more information on that. If you're interested in getting involved, ask me or send an email to ua-rd-chairs and you can find out more.

Will: Are there questions? Thank you for your presentation.

12. Approval of Finboard Appeals

Will: Now we'll go to Finboard appeals.

Rachel: I sent out a link. I can also just project from my computer if you want.

Will: Sure, why don't you do that.

Alex: Ok, so, we already presented allocations to you three or four weeks ago. Then after we do that, we give the groups a chance to appeal for their funding. They send us another budget defense trying to convince us that they deserve more money. And meet with us personally and argue why we should give them more funding than we did the first time around. This is the list of the groups that appealed for funding. It's significantly smaller than the first round.

Rachel: So there are four columns. They show the additional they requested compared to their allocations. Then the summary columns are what they got in the Fall 2 cycle and what they got after appeals. One thing I will bring to your attention in this copy is that it calls for an additional 1% increase in the over allocation percentage, which would be an amendment to the Fall UA budget. Which would require a 2/3 vote. We also presented a copy here, which is hard to see. but the three yellow numbers are changed so that they're balanced within 70 cents. So basically our request is that the additional 1% is approved, but if not, we have another version. Because it's important these are approved tonight.

Will: So, does that make sense? In order to do appeals, we need to increase by 1200. To make the overallocation percentage 41%. So Senate should state whether or not this is what Senate wants, as representatives.

Rachel: And the slightly fuzzy math is that for one group, there's \$500 to carry over. We only count it once since it's the same \$500.

Will: So the question on the table is whether to approve these appeals.

Rachel: We should decide whether to do the overallocation percent first and then do all the appeals.

Mark Valensky: When you do start talking about appeals, I would like to speak for a certain group.

Ryan: Motion to approve to 41%.

Pamela: Second.

Will: Any objections? Ok, it's been approved to 41%. Now we can actually get to them.

Rachel: So I'll go through them super super quickly. Alpha Phi Alpha: we didn't give them anything because of membership, but they addressed that, so we did it. Amnesty we hadn't looked at before. Anime, we gave more. Armenian was late. ATS: there was a subsidy for a dinner event that we didn't fund earlier because of confusion about which funding cycle. Same with BSU. CSC hadn't provided an explanation. CUCN was a new app. Curling Club clarified. ESA was a new application; didn't fund before because the cost for their mixer was close to \$10 per person. Fighting World Hunger: we're funding their open meetings and conference but not their officer meetings. Habitat: increase in travel expenditures. This is well beyond our guideline but we spoke with them and explained and said after this they will be steeply cut off. This is due to them already committing to these projects this semester and not having other uncommitted funding sources. Hawaii Club: no change. HSC: another event. IDC: late application. JSU had an additional event – conference. Komaza – similar to Habitat for Humanity. We're funding this cycle but saying they need to fundraise in the future. KSA: subsidy for their culture show. Chacna: \$500 running over. Logarithms – capital for a shared a cappella studio. For 10 or more groups. They provided more information, for their digital mixer. The old one isn't 100% broken but is pretty

damn close. Shakespeare: increase in funding, \$1800 in ticket sales. We think it's a conservative estimation based on the popularity of the show they're doing. SHPE: faculty event. Syncopasian: confused about how much shared equipment cost.

Will: Mark, you're from the Shakespeare Ensemble? Before we get to that, I'd recommend we split it and divide the question and say if we want to approve the other appeals and then focus on Shakespeare.

Shakespeare representative: We're actually not requesting additional funds.

Will: If there are no objections, I'd like to split for other appeals and then we'll do Shakespeare. Any questions about all other appeals? I suggest we approve them.

Ryan: Motion to approve.

Will: Any objections? Ok.

Finboard Fall Appeals, with the exception of The Shakespeare Ensemble, are approved.

Mark: Thank you for listening. So I'm Mark; I'm with the MIT Shakespeare Ensemble. Really the point we want to bring up is a bit of a technicality. Which is the precedent that Finboard has established with our group, which we're a little worried about. We make \$1500-3000 on shows. We budget just shy of \$3000. For Macbeth, we budgeted \$2750. We're ok with the allocation that we're getting for this show. Primarily because it is a relatively well-known show and we feel like we'll make close enough to the budget that it's acceptable. However, we feel as though the precedent that's been set, to say that we're not entitled to funding because we make money, is fundamentally false. Because we felt that that is what was written on the original Finboard allocation and was approved. I understand it's Finboard's job to look at money. But I would like to respectfully submit this to the UA, because we provide a service to the MIT community and pay almost nothing for it. Because the shows we've done recently are very popular, they shouldn't say that because we make money, we should get no money at all. If you could think of that in the future, we would appreciate it.

Other Shakespeare representative: We were confused about the way in which our funds were allocated. We only got money for events and not operations, but we were under the impression we made it clear that all our money goes toward operations. It's that we need money to go through term shows. And the money on that subsidizes smaller shows. The social events are not subsidized. So it seems inappropriate that our money was allocated under the events slot.

Will: I would give Rachel and Alex a chance to discuss. Then I would recommend that we can all meet, them, you, and me, and if anything comes up, bring it up at the next Senate meeting.

Rachel: In terms of the technicality, looking at the initial request...

Will: This is probably too nitty gritty.

Rachel: I'm not going to get into that. We were not funding because of the income but because the income was greater than the listed expenses. And you didn't clarify that the ticket revenue number in your application was not a reasonable expectation. I disagree that it was poorly handled.

Will: If you'd like, I'd be happy to meet at some other point and we can talk about this, and it would be easier than talking in front of all of Senate. If you want, Senate is supposed to end after 8:30, and you can come back then. Otherwise, I'll send you an email and we'll schedule a time.

So since this is not about money, I say we approve this appeal. Rachel, do you have something to say?

Rachel: I was going to amend to \$240 for operations and \$160 for events; the same total but rearranged.

Will: If there are no objections, I say we approve that. I don't see any objections. I'd also move to approve their whole budget. Any objections? Ok, all appeals are approved.

Appeals for the MIT Shakespeare Ensemble are approved.

13. Appointment of a Senate Representative to Finboard

Will: The next thing I have is the appointment of a Senate Rep to Finboard. Alex, do you want to say what the role is?

Alex: Well one reason we're doing this is that there was a Senate rep assigned before but she decided she doesn't want to do Finboard anymore. Now that appeals are approved, we're doing the next round of applications, and we're starting to solicit tonight. So we need a lot more people on the committee to make this cycle a lot smoother than the first time. One we need is a Senate rep. They are a member of the committee. When we get all the applications, we divide them alphabetically. We divide it based on how many people are on the committee. You are responsible for your set of groups and make recommendations based on that. Then as a committee we get together, listen to other reps' recommendations, discuss and vote on them. Then we present to Senate. Then when appeals comes around again, you're in charge of looking at your own groups and making recommendations. It is your responsibility to keep in contact with your groups. If they send a budget and you have questions, you can ask right away and not wait until appeals comes around. You have to be on top of all of the work that is assigned to you. You have to be very good at email. You have to respond to my emails and everyone else on Finboard, and be good at communicating with your own group liaisons.

Will: The Senate Rep can also communicate between Finboard and Senate. They provide a way to make sure that it's being representative. I really recommend that one of you do this. But we can also choose to have someone who's not a member of Senate, but we need to have sufficient contact or trust them to be a representative. Do any of you want to be the Senate Rep to Finboard?

Regina: Yes, I would like to apply to be the Senate Rep to Finboard.

Will: We have one candidate! Thank you. If you think someone else would be qualified, you can also volunteer someone.

James: I volunteer Leonid Grinberg.

Leonid: I'm already on it.

Allan: I nominate James Douberley.

Betsy: The Senate Rep doesn't have to be from Senate, right?

Will: Right, but they're meant to report to Senate. This is important. Finboard has a lot of money and responsibility. It's nice to have contested positions.

Ryan: Motion to end nominations.

Will: A second?

Rachel: Are we doing nominations and elections today?

Will: Is that useful for you? Well since this has been on agenda, I would say let's do elections too.

Alan: I nominate Trevor.

Trevor: I do not accept.

Will: Regina, why don't you stand up. Generally what we've done is that you can give a little one minute spiel with why you want to do this. And the body can ask you some questions.

Regina: Can I take a moment to collect my thoughts first?

Will: Sure, I'll give you two minutes to think about it. We have another election for Vice Speaker coming up! For instance, they could have had the powerpoint ready instead of me fumbling for three minutes. They have the responsibility to head sub committees, like perhaps talking to the Shakespeare Ensemble. That's something that the Vice Speaker could do. They're also on NomComm. Finboard does student groups, but NomComm has positions for institute committees. And they're in charge of interviewing and approving applications to institute committees. I know Edgar Matias indicated he wanted to run. So I'll nominate him to be Vice Speaker. Are there other people interested?

Allan: I nominate Alex Westbrook.

Alex: No thank you.

Will: This is an important way to get you involved in the UA.

Alan: I nominate Rachel Meyer.

Rachel: I decline.

Paul: I nominate Leonid.

Leonid: No.

Betsy: I nominate James.

Rachel: That could work if one of the EC Senators resigned.

Will: They need to be member or former member of Senate. And since James is not a Senator nor has ever been a Senator or committee chair, he is unable.

Regina, do you think you have collected your thoughts? Edgar, you can collect your thoughts while we're doing this.

Regina: Hi, I'm Regina Cho. I'm a sophomore and a Maseeh Senator. I would like to be the Senate rep to Finboard because I would like to be the representative and know how things work. I think I have the skills, both with email responding and people, and I also have interest for learning how Finboard works. I do not have as much experience in dealing with the financial side of matters, but I would like to learn how to manage money and allocate, and how the Finboard side of things works. So I think this would be a great opportunity. So I have the interest and the communication skills and the willingness to learn how to do this job and do it well.

Will: Five minutes of questions. Then we can motion to call it.

Alan: What are your time commitments?

Regina: I will be willing to spend the time necessary to get the job done, not eight hours a day or anything. But I think I will have time to submit to Finboard. I would need more details for how much commitment Finboard is.

David: You're on pass/no record, right?

Will: She's not.

Regina: I'm a transfer student.

Ben: Do you have any experience with being a treasurer or anything?

Regina: I was a treasurer in high school. But this is probably different now. But I'm ready and willing to learn how things are handled.

Rachel: Are you involved in any student groups at MIT other than the UA?

Regina: Does the UA CSL count?

Rachel: I mean besides that.

Regina: I'm the academics chair for Maseeh as well. But the UA is my main student group.

Patrick: Are you in more than five classes?

Regina: I'm in four.

Ryan: Motion to move to closed discussion.

Will: any objections? Ok, if you could step out.

Closed discussion.

Regina Cho is elected as the Senate Representative to Finboard.

14. Vice Speaker Election

Will: Congratulations! Now you can talk to Alex and find out what this involves. Ok, Vice Speaker. In this time did anyone decide that they also want to run? Didn't think so.

James: I nominate Vrajesh Modi.

Will: I refuse that.

Patrick: Motion to appeal the decision of the chair.

Edgar: So I'm a fraternity Senator. I would like to learn about the infrastructure of the UA. I think the UA lacks a fraternity aspect. I think the UA is really focused on campus stuff. But I think off campus and in Boston are really being ignored. Well the IFC does its own thing and the UA does its own thing and there's not much meshing. I would like to see how fraternities feel about things and create more of a community where we can all talk about these things.

Will: If you feel like people are not doing enough, you should take a position. If not enough is being done with fraternities and dining, for example, you could join the Dining Committee.

Paul: Are you new to the Senate or returning?

Edgar: I'm new.

Michael: What are your time commitments like? How much time would you spend on this?

Edgar: As much as needed to get things done.

Ryan: What other groups are you in?

Edgar: I'm on the IFC Judicial Committee.

David: Number of classes?

Edgar: Standard. Four.

Paul: I'd like to ask if you can clarify why you think that it is important for you to look at these issues as Vice Speaker instead of just doing it as a Senator.

Edgar: I think there's more oversight with the Vice Speaker. I'll have more say in saying we have these issues and finding people's perspectives than just being a Senator. It's a little more difficult as a Senator because you have less say in general. Like, it would be hard for me to be a part of all of the committees, versus as Vice Speaker.

Will: Yeah, it may be hard as a Senator to talk to Exec and things like that. It is the role of the Speaker and the Vice Speaker to represent Senate. So speak to me and the Vice Speaker so you can interact on our behalf.

Allan: There's also a Senate Rep to Exec.

Will: Right, which is Betsy.

Allan: You can also come see me whenever or email me; I'm pretty responsive.

Paul: Do you plan to specifically address fraternity issues or general off campus issues?

Edgar: General off-campus issues. I think we're a little too focused on on-campus issues.

Will: Any more questions?

Ryan: Motion to enter closed discussion.

Closed discussion.

Edgar Matias is elected Vice Speaker of the Senate.

15. 43 UAS 4.1 Bill to Allocate Money to CAR

Will: Moving on. Bill to Allocate Money to CAR. I'll update it with the appropriate numbering. They're asking for \$3500 from reserves. The chair was not in the position and they could not submit a budget when we approved the budget. So this is asking for their budget for this semester and potentially further. And here's the actual budget.

Laura: The budget is linked there. We're asking for \$3500. We want to fund student-alumni dinners. 35 dinners at \$100 each. Last year the Alumni Association contributed \$1000. I emailed today asking again, and assuming they'll fund us again. We're asking for \$1000 for events between students and alums.

Patrick: What happens if the Alumni Association doesn't contribute funding?

Laura: We can come before Senate again.

Alex: We can only touch Reserves a certain number of times a year. If we do this, we can't go into Reserves this term. So if you need to come for another \$1000, you can go to Senate Discretionary or Exec Discretionary.

Will: Senate Discretionary has \$7000, which we have used \$0 of so far.

Rachel: Is there reasoning behind taking this from Reserves instead of just Discretionary and then later taking from Reserves if we run out of Senate Discretionary?

Will: Right, we want to be smart, since we can only take from UA Reserves four times a year. So we could amend it to say to change it from Reserves to Discretionary.

Janet: Second.

Will: Objections to this amendment? Seeing none, the amendment stands. Other discussion on this bill or the budget?

Ryan: I call the question.

Will: Objections? Objections to voting now?

43 UAS 4.1 Bill to Allocate Money to CAR is passed.

16. Distribution of the UA Fall Survey

Will: The next item on the agenda is the distribution of the UA fall survey. I'll hand it off to Allan.

Allan: So initially we were going to do a paper survey, which is what we did last year. They said it was an outrageous amount of effort. We'll do an online survey. Will's pulling up the site. It's at ua.mit.edu/survey. An email will go out tonight. I'm asking you now instead of handing you a paper survey and getting 40% of your living group to fill it out. It's the same thing but entails emailing out, going to different lounges, kitchens, common areas, asking people to fill it out as well. Physically asking them. And I'm seriously expecting 40% from you guys and will be harping on you if we fall short. The survey will run for one week starting tonight. It's up and you can fill it out now if you want. But it will run until next Monday at midnight. It's a compilation of questions submitted by committee chairs, and senior or UA people, and it was approved by MIT IR (Institutional Research), MIT's surveying group. And they're very kind to sanity check our questions and make sure they're reasonable. They carry a lot of weight to be approved by IR, so they're acceptable. Other questions?

Paul: In theory, could Senators use their budgets to bribe their dorms?

Allan: Yes, I was going to have a separate discussion on this later about using constituency events.

Will: Yes, Senators do have money. In the past we have done referendums and surveys and gone to admins about them. It's a powerful technique.

Allan: It is very important that we do this. It gives our committees directions on what to do. The questions are about options they can do. It's useful for the UA to take direction on issues of student life.

Will: It's a good way to talk to constituents about questions to discuss.

Allan: It's a good conversation starter since you have something in your head.

Will: Anything else with surveys?

Allan: So Paul mentioned constituency events. I'm here also to strongly encourage you to have a constituency event in the next couple of weeks to present the documentation on restructuring and gather some feedback. This is in parallel to the focus groups going on now and our email out to undergrads outlining what the documents look like. It's in parallel to all the feedback we've collected up til now. I did have a couple more slides. One portion is what the council looks like, so you're better prepared to talk about it. I want to meet with all of you and talk to you guys. I can't convey everything that's happened; it would take too long and it's not the right environment. So I will be reaching out to you; I may not personally, but someone from the committee will. I want to meet you as well to get to know you. So we'll begin those dialogues.

Will: The goal is to provide more familiarity about what the new structure might entail. I think Allan or me or other people will try to meet with you to provide more familiarity.

Allan: After we talk to you, I do think you'll have more information to be comfortable enough to hold an event. We'll try to have a two-way discussion beforehand so you can actually do that. Get concrete knowledge. So, we're creating a UA Council. The membership is dorm presidents or representatives—the president can send a vice president if they feel too burdened or are more focused on their own dorm. There's also the IFC president and about three representatives; we're still working on and negotiating that. Same thing with the Panhel president and two other representatives. There's also the Speaker for the LGC and the off campus rep. This has the leadership of every living group on campus. Except for off campus, which arguably has no leadership or government. This allows statements of the council to carry significant gravity.

The council would vote on limited things. The budget. Checks and balances. Like my role as UA President. This is not just for me; we'll have it for 10 years or longer. So we need to give the council the ability to appeal the decision of the UA president or give them direction. It's a check and balance. You

guys can vote to impeach me; the council would have the same checks and balances. The wording is not exact yet; we're still doing it. But basically, there's voting on nominations as well. Those are the limited cases of voting. Also to amend the constitution. Because those things need votes.

The rest of the work, though – when we're having discussion and forming opinions on issues. Which is one of the more important functions of the body, which we haven't really done yet – these are consensus based opinions. Instead of passing a dining bill saying dining is bad, we pass—not even pass—but create a document that highlights, “This portion of campus feels this way about dining, it's good for these reasons; this portion has concerns for these reasons and would be affected this way.” That allows us to go to the Chancellor, the Dean of Student Life, to say that something would particularly affect these people if you do a certain plan. There are nuances. This also gives any party not an automatic veto but an automatic view so no one will be marginalized. Like, if a small portion of campus was against the dining bill, they couldn't do much. Now they will have an actual section to highlight what their living group actually wants and needs. So that's what the shape of the council would be. It's one part of restructuring but one part that you would probably want to be familiar with.

Ryan: What will happen to the committee structure?

Allan: That's a part of the bigger conversation. But committees will largely exist in ways they exist now, with more emphasis on them. So when a student issue comes up – like dining. The dining chair would be responsible for coming into council with a document and it would be the chair's job to talk to everyone from Senate. People go in and already know what's going to happen because they've done the legwork. So policies will reflect what the council thinks as a whole. So committees would exist but they have this added-in piece.

Jennifer: So now, dorms that are bigger, like Maseeh, have three reps. Is that taken into account with the council?

Allan: The idea is that we're trying to get away from being a voting body. It will only have the Maseeh president. They're representative of the dorm and three people are not needed because Maseeh already can say exactly how Maseeh feels. For voting, there is a population vote which is different from today.

Regina: So the dorm president has to figure out how to represent the dorm as a full?

Allan: It should be a required thing. I'm not going to march in and try to take over the dorm exec, but it should be feature for them to be totally representative.

Regina: Is there a way to see how exactly they're being representative?

Allan: That's an interesting question and not something I have a direct answer for. Last year we had more outreach, with exec meetings rotating throughout dorms.

Will: I'll cut off discussion. I think this is good. Senate doesn't have to be a formal body to do this. But you can come to Allan right after Senate and book a meeting with me. We'll be here anyway if you want to talk more about this.

Patrick: I want to nominate Paul Kominers as Sergeant of Arms.

Janet: Second.

Paul: What does it entail?

Will: You open and close doors.

Paul: If Senate feels I'm qualified...

Paul Kominers is approved as the UA Sergeant at Arms.

17. Closing Roll

The following members left early: Christine Chen (Events), Alan Miranda (Public Relations), Amanda David (Class Council Coordinator)

18. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 8:58 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Janet Li
UA Secretary General