MIT: Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyStudent Support Services

Readmission Checklist

This is a brief summary of the necessary steps to apply for readmission as an undergraduate:

  1. Note Readmission Application deadlines:
    • Fall term deadline: June 15
    • Spring term deadline : November 15
    • To ensure that the Readmission Committee has the most up to date information about your time away, applications will be accepted no earlier than June 1 for the Fall term and November 1 for the Spring term.
    • Decisions will be emailed on or around August 10 for a Fall return or January 10 for a Spring return.
  2. Complete the Undergraduate Application for Readmission
    • Ensure that your name is on all application materials.
    • Email all application materials to: readmission@mit.edu.
  3. After you have submitted your complete application, call 617-253-4861 to schedule an appointment with your S3 dean.
  4. Note Financial Aid deadlines
    • An application for financial aid much be submitted by April 15, prior to the intended academic year of return.
    • To apply for financial aid, contact Student Financial Aid (617-253-4971). Aid will be disbursed when you are readmitted.
  5. Check to make sure you are financially cleared to return to MIT
  6. International students must contact the International Students Office.
    • You will need to send in a new financial certification form.
    • The ISO must update your certificate of eligibility before your return to MIT.
    • Please contact the International Students Office (617-253-3795) for more information.
  7. Develop a plan for housing if readmitted
    • Due to limited openings, on-campus housing will not be guaranteed for students returning from withdrawal. If you are interested in on-campus housing you should fill out a Return From Withdrawal Housing Application. The form can be found at: https://odysseyhms-web.mit.edu/hmswebstudent/. Contact MIT Housing with any questions (617-253-2811).
    • If you are considering housing with an FSILG, please contact the fraternity, sorority, or independent living group in which you would like to live. Please keep in mind that space may be limited and housing cannot be guaranteed. Contact the FSILG office (617-253-7546) with any questions.
    • For assistance and advice on your off-campus housing search, please contact the MIT Off-campus Housing Service, (617-253-4449)
  8. Submit an updated Medical Report form.