Reapplying after Medical Withdrawal
This page outlines the process for reapplying to MIT following a Medical Withdrawal.
Students seeking readmission from a Medical Withdrawal must submit:
1) a Readmission Application;
2) a student-developed academic plan for graduation that addresses completion of the GIR subjects and, in the case of students who have declared a major, the requirements for the major. The plan, and a current MIT transcript with degree audit obtained from the Registrar’s Office (download the PDF Readmission Transcript Request Form from the Registrar's website), should be presented to the faculty member or academic department that will be reviewing the plan for readmission (see #3 below). We encourage students to discuss the plan with the faculty advisor and/or academic department to determine if graduation requirements are being addressed;
3) a letter commenting on the student’s suitability for readmission and the proposed academic plan from the academic department or program to which the student would like to return or in the case of first-year students or undesignated sophomores, a letter from the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (UAAP);
4) letters from physicians or clinicians with whom the student received treatment.
Students seeking readmission from a Medical Withdrawal may also be asked to submit:
1) letters of reference from employers or faculty of the school attended,
2) transcripts of coursework completed at other institutions. Clinicians in MIT Medical and MIT Mental Health and Counseling Service review the medical information, and provide a recommendation in writing to the Readmission Committee to be included in the application. This recommendation letter is critical in assisting the committee to arrive at its readmission recommendation.
Readmission decisions are reconsidered only if substantial new information has become available after the decision has been made. A request for reconsideration documenting the new information should be submitted to S3 and will be reviewed by the Readmission Chair. The Readmission Chair has the option of bringing the application back to the Readmission Committee for another discussion, and all reconsideration decisions will be made in consultation with the Chair of the CAP.