IROP Summer Undergraduate Research Exchanges: Summer 2013
The MIT Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (UAAP) will offer three research exchange programs for summer 2013 through collaborations with the National University of Singapore (NUS), the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), and the University of Hong Kong (HKU). These exchanges aim to enhance and broaden students' undergraduate experiences, provide opportunities to live in another culture, conduct research in a different academic/research environment, and help develop skills to better prepare for leadership roles in a global economy.
Up to 13 MIT students will be selected to conduct faculty-mentored research in the summer 2013 exchange. In return, MIT will host a similar number of students from each university to conduct research with MIT faculty members.
Information for MIT Students
Arrangements for MIT students at NUS/HKUST/HKU:
- The host school will provide free on-campus housing for up to five MIT students.
- MIT will provide an air travel subsidy for US-Singapore or Hong Kong air travel for the beginning and end dates of the program.
- Weekly research pay will be covered by MIT.
- MIT students will need to provide their own meals at the host school.
- MIT students will be personally responsible for purchasing the host school's required health/medical insurance for the program's duration (if applicable).
- MIT students must apply for and satisfy the immigration requirements for their journey to and from Singapore or Hong Kong.
To apply to one of the exchanges MIT students must submit the following materials to UROP staff in 7-104 by Friday, February 22, 2013:
- A completed program application (with personal statement and resume attached) via the following PDF link: IROP Exchanges Application
- Two letters of recommendation from MIT faculty members.
- An official transcript.
The host schools will review the students nominated by MIT and approve, in its discretion, up to five students to conduct research at their school during the summer of 2013. MIT students will collaborate with their respective mentor at the host school to define and develop their project. At the conclusion of the summer, students may be required to submit a report to their mentor.
Summer Program: MIT students will have access to all privileges, activities, and facilities enjoyed by NUS/HKUST/HKU students.
Information for NUS/HKUST/HKU Students
MIT will invite up to five of the nominated students from NUS, HKUST, and HKU to conduct research at MIT during summer 2013.
The nominated students must each submit the following materials to their respective school's program office, which will send the materials to MIT:
- A completed program application (available from your school's program office) with a personal statement and resume attached.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members.
- An official transcript. The transcript and recommendation letters should be sent electronically (fax or email) to the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (UAAP) at MIT [fax: (617) 258-8816 or email: email@example.com] or submitted directly to your school's program office.
The UAAP will identify mentors whose research best matches the students' stated interests. Students will be notified of their placement and mentor by early April, 2013. Selected students will collaborate with their MIT mentor to define and develop the research project. At the conclusion of the summer experience, students may be expected to give a poster presentation or write a paper on their research.
Arrangements for students at MIT:
- MIT will provide free on-campus housing for students from NUS, HKUST and HKU.
- Visiting students will be required to purchase MIT student health insurance or show proof of health insurance valid in the United States for the duration of the program.
- Visiting students are required to obtain a US visa immediately after acceptance into the IROP program.
Summer program: Visiting students will have the same access and privileges enjoyed by MIT students on the campus.
- MIT students interested in the IROP Summer Research Exchanges should contact: UROP Staff in the MIT Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (Tel: 617- 253-7306, Fax: 617-258-8816, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NUS students interested in participating in the Summer MIT-NUS Summer Undergraduate Research Exchange Program should contact: Undergraduate Programmes Office, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore (Tel:65-6516 8471, Fax: 65-6777 0607, Email: email@example.com, Web: www.nus.edu.sg).
- HKUST students interested in participating in the Summer MIT-HKUST Summer Undergraduate Research Exchange Program should contact: HKUST staff in the UROP office [Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: http://urop.ust.hk/index.html).
- HKU students interested in participating in the Summer MIT-HKU Summer Undergraduate Research Exchange Program should contact: HKU staff in the Office of International Student Exchange.