MIT-University of Hong Kong Summer Undergraduate Research Exchange Program: Summer 2012
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the University of Hong Kong (HKU) are hosting a research exchange for summer 2012 that provides students from MIT and HKU the opportunity to conduct faculty-mentored research projects at the other university. The MIT-HKU program is intended to enhance and broaden students' undergraduate experiences, provide opportunities to live in another culture, conduct research in a different academic/research environment, and help students prepare to assume leadership roles in a global economy. One HKU student will participate in MIT's International Research Opportunities Program (IROP) program. One MIT student will participate in research as part of a summer IROP at HKUST.
Information for MIT Students
Arrangements for MIT student at HKU:
- HKU will provide free on-campus housing for one MIT student.
- MIT will provide an air travel subsidy for US-Hong Kong air travel for the beginning and end dates of the program.
- Weekly research pay will be covered by MIT.
- MIT student will provide their own meals.
- MIT student will be personally responsible for purchasing HKU's required health/medical insurance for the time period of the exchange (if applicable).
- Research conducted by the MIT student at HKU shall be subject to the HKU policies and procedures in intellectual property.
- MIT students must apply for and satisfy the immigration requirements for their journey to and from Hong Kong.
To apply for the HKU program, MIT students must submit the following materials to UROP staff by March 9th:
- A personal statement describing their research interests. Students should browse the HKU website to identify areas of research activities.
- Two letters of recommendation from MIT faculty members.
- An official transcript.
HKU will review the students nominated by MIT and approve, in its discretion, one student to conduct research at HKU during the summer of 2012. The MIT student will collaborate with their HKU mentor to define and develop their project. At the conclusion of the summer, students will submit a written technical report to their mentor.
Summer Program: MIT student will have access to all privileges, activities, and facilities enjoyed by HKU students on the campus.
Information for HKU Students
The nominated HKU students must each submit the following materials to MIT:
- A personal statement detailing the student's research interests.
- A preferred MIT research area and/or desired MIT faculty mentor. See the Research Profiles section of this site to identify faculty research.
- Two letters of recommendation from HKU faculty members.
- An official transcript. The transcript and recommendation letters should be sent electronically (fax or email) to the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (UAAP) at MIT (fax: 617-258-8816 or email: email@example.com.
The UAAP will identify a mentor whose research best matches the student's stated interests. The student will be notified of their placement and mentor by early May 2012. The HKU student will collaborate with their MIT mentor to define and develop the research project. At the conclusion of the summer experience, the student may be expected to give a poster presentation or write a paper on their research.
Arrangements for HKU student at MIT:
- MIT will provide free on-campus housing for one HKU student.
- The HKU student will be required to purchase MIT student health insurance or show proof of health insurance valid in the United States for the duration of the program. Existing health insurance must be deemed comparable to MIT Student Health Insurance, or the MIT plan must be purchased.
- The HKU student is required to obtain a US visa immediately after acceptance into the IROP program.
Summer program: The HKU UROP student is expected to work on their research project full-time (35-40 hours a week) for the nine-week period. The student will have the same access and privileges enjoyed by MIT students on the campus.
- MIT students interested in research at HKU should contact: UROP Staff in the MIT Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (Tel: 617-253-7306, Fax: 617-258-8816, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- HKU students interested in participating in the Summer MIT-HKU Summer Undergraduate Research Exchange Program should contact: HKU staff in the Office of International Student Exchange