MIT-National University of Singapore Summer Undergraduate Research Exchange Program: Summer 2012
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the National University of Singapore (NUS) are hosting a research exchange for summer 2012 that provides students from MIT and NUS the opportunity to conduct faculty-mentored research projects at the other university. The MIT-NUS program aims to enhance and broaden students' undergraduate experiences, provide opportunities to live in another culture, conduct research in a different academic/research environment, and help develop skills to better prepare for leadership roles in a global economy. Up to five NUS students will participate in MIT's International Research Opportunities Program (IROP) program. Up to five MIT students will participate in science or engineering research as part of a summer IROP at NUS.
Information for MIT Students
Arrangements for MIT students at NUS:
- NUS will provide free on-campus housing for up to five MIT students.
- MIT will provide an air travel subsidy for US-Singapore air travel for the beginning and end dates of the NUS program.
- Weekly research pay will be covered by MIT.
- MIT students will need to provide their own meals at NUS.
- MIT students will be required to subscribe to the NUS insurance scheme for non-graduating students for their duration of study at NUS. The insurance scheme is mandatory for all exchange students and exchange students will be responsible for payment of the applicalbe premium in full prior to their arrival at NUS.
- MIT students must apply for and satisfy the immigration requirements for their journey to and from Singapore.
To apply for the NUS program MIT students must submit the following materials to UROP staff by TBD:
- A personal statement describing their research interests. Students should browse the NUS websites (http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg and http://www.science.nus.edu.sg) to identify the areas of research interest within the Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Science and to learn more about work being out at NUS.
- Two letters of recommendation from MIT faculty members.
- An official transcript.
NUS will review the students nominated by MIT and approve, in its discretion, up to five students to conduct research at NUS during the summer of 2012. MIT students will collaborate with the NUS mentor to define and develop their project. At the conclusion of the summer, students will submit a written technical report to their mentor.
Summer Program: NUS has a small, but rapidly growing, international community. There are opportunities for students to meet other exchange students and to become acquainted with Singaporean culture. MIT students will have access to all privileges, activities, and facilities enjoyed by NUS students on the campus.
Information for NUS Students
NUS students who have completed their third year will be nominated by NUS deans and faculty to conduct summer research at MIT as part of the International Research Opportunities Program (IROP). MIT will invite up to five of the nominated NUS students to conduct research at MIT.
The nominated NUS students must each submit the following materials to MIT:
- A personal statement detailing the student's research interests.
- A preferred MIT research area and/or MIT faculty mentor. See the Research Profiles section of this site to identify faculty research.
- Two letters of recommendation from NUS faculty members.
- An official transcript. The transcript and recommendation letters should be sent electronically (fax or email) to the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (UAAP) at MIT [fax: (617) 258-8816 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org].
The UAAP will identify mentors whose research best matches the students' stated interests. Students will be notified of their placement and mentor by early May, 2012. NUS students will collaborate with their MIT mentor to define and develop the research project. At the conclusion of the summer experience, students will be expected to give a poster presentation or write a paper on their research.
Arrangements for NUS students at MIT:
- MIT will provide free on-campus housing for up to five NUS students.
- NUS students will be required to purchase MIT student health insurance or show proof of health insurance valid in the United States for the duration of the program.
- NUS students are required to obtain a US visa immediately after acceptance into the IROP program.
Summer program: NUS IROP students will have the same access and privileges enjoyed by MIT students on the campus.
- MIT students interested in research at NUS should contact: UROP Staff in the MIT Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (Tel: 617- 253-7306, Fax: 617-258-8816, Email: email@example.com)
- NUS students interested in participating in the Summer MIT-NUS Summer Undergraduate Research Exchange Program should contact: Undergraduate Programmes Office, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore (Tel: 65-6516 8471, Fax: 65-6777 0607, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: www.nus.edu.sg).