The Role of Department Coordinators
As a departmental UROP Coordinator, you play an important role in the UROP process and are relied upon for your judgment and knowledge of your academic area. This section provides you with information to help you in your role as a departmental UROP Coordinator.
UROP Coordinators, are expected to:
- Interpret the department's requirements, ensure academic rigor and research value in projects undertaken by faculty and student collaborators, and clarify policies and procedures for departmental review.
- Review the department’s submitted student UROP proposals, examine project descriptions and financial requests, and determine project appropriateness for departmental approval before forwarding to UROP for final review. Please see Reviewing UROP Proposals for a full description of what should be included in a UROP proposal. Details on how to access submitted online student applications can be found on the Using the Online UROP System page.
- Ensure that subject registration and number of requested credit units are appropriate for departmental standards, for credit UROP projects.
- Suggest the kinds of skills and experience that UROP students need to acquire before they attempt research in your department, laboratory or center. Advise on strategies for students to connect with UROP supervisors within the department
- Recommend opportunities for students to meet with faculty and with other students; suggests potential faculty mentors based on student interests; encourage students to participate in departmentally-sponsored research related presentations and events, including lectures by potential faculty supervisors.
- Provide help to students with specific problems (e.g., inability to find a faculty supervisor in the chosen area of interest, needs access to equipment, or needs financial resources).
- Interface regularly with UROP staff in the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (UAAP) on UROP-related matters.
If you have any questions or concerns about your role as UROP Coordinator, please do not hesitate to contact us at 617-253-7306 or email@example.com.
Click on one of the links to the left to jump to more information on the subject of interest to you.