MIT's Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
MIT: Massachusetts Institute of Technology

For Faculty Supervisors: Off-Campus and International UROPs

Most UROP projects are conducted on-campus at MIT. However, occasionally, you may have a need for a student to conduct UROP research away from campus (either within the US or abroad).

If you plan to have your UROP students conduct research off-campus or plan to have them travel within the US or internationally to conduct field research or attend a conference or symposium, please be aware that special paperwork is required. These requirements are outlined for your reference below, but it is the student's responsibility to ensure that all required paperwork is submitted well before the intended departure dates.

Off-Campus UROP (in the local area)

This type of research generally takes place at MIT-affiliated sites that have a professional or educational affiliation with MIT. Examples include Lincoln Laboratories, the Broad and Whitehead Institutes, the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and area hospitals connected to MIT through the Harvard/MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology (HST). Students working in these facilities must receive direct supervision from an MIT-affiliated UROP supervisor.

Students working in any of these areas will be asked to meet with UROP staff for a brief informational discussion about safety, intellectual property and confidentiality agreements before any UROP approval will be issued for the term. It is advisable that students meet with UROP staff prior to beginning any off-campus research project. Appointments may be scheduled by sending email to

Off-Campus UROP (with required domestic travel)

Other types of off-campus UROP research include fieldwork and conference-related travel, which may take students out of the state, and in some cases, out of the country.

Projects requiring travel must be connected to research affiliated with MIT, and have your endorsement as an approved MIT UROP supervisor. In addition, students should receive daily supervision from an MIT affiliate associated with the project, such as yourself, a post-doctoral associate, or staff member.

In cases where domestic travel is required, UROP students must complete domestic travel paperwork, before departing to begin UROP research away from the MIT campus. UROP research cannot be approved if the appropriate paperwork is not in place.

Please refer to the UROP Travel Forms section of Guidelines for information on MIT travel guidelines and policies.

UROP & Travel Overseas

Occasionally, your research may require that students conduct fieldwork or attend conferences, etc. that would require overseas travel.

The decision to travel overseas requires careful consideration, particularly in these troubled times. If you plan to invite one of your UROP researchers to conduct MIT research abroad, students are responsible for fully understanding the related travel risks and ensuring that appropriate safeguards are in place.

Please refer to the International Research Opportunities (IROP) pages for more information, and review MIT travel guidelines and policies related to overseas student travel, including tips and resources for undergraduate travelers, and required international travel safety paperwork.

Access Your Homepage