Options: Faculty/Department Funding (Sponsored Research)
In many cases, UROP funding comes directly from your faculty supervisor. Faculty who pay students' UROP stipends may choose to pay more than the standard UROP stipend and set a higher hourly rate of pay. They may not pay less than the UROP hourly rate (currently $11.00, moving to $11.50 on June 1, 2017).
Like all other UROP types, faculty-funded UROP applications and must be submitted by the applicable UROP deadline for the given term/summer, but you should submit your application before you start work in-lab to ensure prompt payment receipt.
- Once you've secured a paid UROP, be sure to review the Once You've been Hired information on the Student Financial Services website for details on the steps you need to take before you start your research work and can get paid.
Term Options and Hours Worked
Faculty-funded projects begun in the fall term may continue during IAP, and projects begun during IAP with sponsored research funding may continue into the spring term, provided that you select the appropriate Fall/IAP or IAP/Spring term when completing your application. Faculty-funded UROPs that begin during IAP should be submitted well before the official IAP start date to ensure timely processing and payment.
If overtime hours in a faculty-funded UROP are likely or necessary, you should make certain, in advance, that your supervisor is aware of these overtime hours and that there are enough funds to cover the cost.
NOTE: If you are an international student, you are limited to the number of hours you may work each week. Contact staff in the International Students Office with any questions or for additional information on restrictions.
- Once your application has been received by UROP staff, approval is generally issued within 2-3 business days.
- Approval notification may take longer if your application is missing required information (i.e. feedback on previous UROP work, your proposal lacks sufficient detail, required travel forms are not on file, etc.). Missing information will be flagged in your online application and you can check your application status at any time by visiting your UROP homepage. You will receive email from UROP staff if your application is incomplete.
- Call UROP staff at 617-253-7306 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions that you may have regarding the status of your proposal or your approval.
- If you did not do so previously, be sure to review the Once You've been Hired information on the Student Financial Services website for details on the steps you need to take before you start your research work and can get paid.
- You must visit the department UROP payroll coordinator listed in your approval email, ASAP so that your UROP can be activated in the payroll system.
- Refer to your approval email for additional pertinent information regarding submission of weekly timesheets and payments.