Every department and laboratory has a designated faculty member or academic professional to act as the department's UROP liaison.
The UROP Coordinator:
- Interprets the department's requirements, ensures academic rigor and research value in projects undertaken by faculty and student collaborators, and clarifies policies and procedures for departmental review.
- Via the online system, reviews the department's student UROP proposals, examines project descriptions and financial requests, and determines project appropriateness for departmental approval before forwarding to UROP for final review.
- For credit UROP projects, ensures that subject registration and number of requested credit units are appropriate for departmental standards.
- Suggests the kinds of skills and experience UROP students need to acquire before they attempt research in the department. Advises on strategies for students to connect with UROP supervisors within the department.
- Recommends opportunities for students to meet with faculty and with other students; suggests potential faculty mentors based on student interests; encourages students to participate in departmentally-sponsored research related presentations and events, including lectures by potential faculty supervisors.
- Provides help to students with specific problems (e.g., inability to find a faculty supervisor in the chosen area of interest, needs access to equipment, or needs financial resources).
- Interfaces regularly with UROP staff in the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming (UAAP) on UROP-related matters.
Check the list of UROP Coordinators to determine the Coordinator for your area of interest.