The MIT Libraries offer world-class research collections and information services, and are rich in both print and electronic formats. The MIT Libraries' web site is the gateway to exploring the wide range of resources available to you. The five main library units and four branch libraries welcome you to come for study, use of collections, quiet reflection, browsing, group study, or to meet with library staff.
Librarians specializing in different subject areas are available to help you with your research in person, at reference desks, by appointment, by email and by phone. Call 4-2ASK (617-324-2275) or visit Ask Us! on the Libraries' site for assistance. Instructional classes and workshops geared to different areas of research are also available.
Other Services of Note:
- Barton Online Catalog: Search online for materials from all MIT Libraries. Use Your Account to view items you've checked out, place books on hold, renew books and request items from storage. Get your password at any circulation desk.
- Off-campus access: Many databases and e-journals are accessible from off-campus with MIT web certificates. Look for the GO icon in Vera.
- BookPage: Request that an item from one library be delivered to another for convenient pick-up.
- MIT Theses Online: Search a collection of selected MIT master's and doctoral theses.
- Virtual Reference Collection: Find useful internet sites hand-picked by MIT librarians, including online dictionaries, directories, government information, travel, consumer sites, and more.
- Suggested Purchases: Suggest the purchase of an item that is not in the Libraries' collections.
- Guidance for writing papers and theses: Find helpful guides for writing and research.
- Search the MIT Collections: Take a break from your studies to discover the wide array of library materials available for your interest and enjoyment. Check out music in the Lewis Music Library , new fiction, mystery and science fiction titles in the Humanities Library , books on art and architecture in Rotch Library, and much more .