Article I: Purpose
The purpose of the Undergraduate Women in Physics Group is to provide resources, advice, and a positive social atmosphere for female physics majors in order to recruit and retain women in the physics department.
Article II: Membership
- Any undergraduate member of the MIT community with a strong interest in pursuing an education in physics is eligible to become a member of this organization. One is considered a member of this organization if she has attended at least one meeting in the preceding or current term.
- The voting membership of this organization will at all times contain at least five MIT students and be more than half MIT students.
- This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT's Non-discrimination Statement.
- In the event that this organization decides to charge any monetary fees, there will be exceptions made for students who cannot afford said fees.
Article III: Officers
- The Undergraduate Women in Physics Group will have five officers:
- The president shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
- The president will preside over all meetings.
- The president is responsible for setting the schedule.
- The president shall sign all contracts.
- Vice President
- The vice president shall assume full responsibility in the temporary absence of the president.
- The vice president shall take responsibility for ensuring that the other officers and members complete their duties for the group.
- The vice president shall act as a subsitute for any officer unable to fulfill their duties.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for writing a budget each semester and presenting it to the group for approval.
- The treasurer is required to sign all checks/vouchers of the group.
- The secretary shall take all minutes of meetings.
- The secretary shall write all amendments to this consititution and present them to the group for consideration.
- The secretary shall maintain and update all email lists.
- Women's Advisory Group Representative
- The Women's Advisory Group representative shall attend all meetings of the Women's Advisory Group and report on those meetings to the Undergraduate Women in Physics Group.
- The webmaster will organize and administer the UWIP locker and webpage.
- The officers of this organization must be distinct persons and MIT students. The officers shall share the responsibility for organizing group events.
- Elections of the officers shall occur at the second to last meeting of the year.
- Any freshman, sophomore, or junior of this organization is eligible to run for office.
- Quorum for elections is half of the group.
- Any member is elected if she receives the most votes.
- The term of office runs from the elections in May until the elections the following May.
- Officers may be removed by a majority vote of the members.
Article IV: Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least every month.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless she is absent, in which case the vice-president shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
Article V: Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by the secretary.
- Amendments shall be passed by a two-thirds vote of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be one third of all members of the organization.
Article: ASA God Clause
The Undergraduate Women in Physics Group agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.