Subject: Re: Request for Indian dessert recipes
From: [email-masked] (Tracey Dianne Layng)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1992 16:55:52 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.veg

This is very Indian and totally ok for Hindus. My fiance is Hindu and his
mother makes this all the time.

Tracey
UIUC

Carrot Halwa

5 or 6 large carrots (shredded)
Whole milk
handful of raisins
handful of pistachios (opt)
2 cardamom pods (optional because they are so expensive)
sugar
oil

Put the shredded carrots, raisins, pistachios and cardamom in a large pot. Pour
in enough milk to cover the carrots. Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and
simmer covered until the milk is absorbed (about 45 mins). Heat a frying pan
and put some oil in the pan (2-3 tbsp), put the carrot mixture into the pan and
fry it until it begins to turn red. During the time you are frying the mixture,
you can add the sugar a few tsps at a time or all at once when the carrots just
begin to turn red. I would use at least 10 tsps. or more if you like it sweet.

Serve warm or cold with cream or half and half. Around here, we definitely
prefer it warm. You can make it ahead of time and store it in the frig and warm
it in the microwave.