Subject: VEGAN: Mellow Golden Potato Soup
From: [email-masked] (Tara McDermott)
Date: 2 Nov 92 15:48:28 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.veg

Ingredients: 
4-5 red potatoes
about 4-6 cups water (I didn't measure how much I used... enough to
   cover the potatoes with about two inches of water)
1-2 large yellow onions (though red would taste wonderful too)
oil for frying
3/4 tsp. savory
1 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. salt
2 - 4 Tbsp. tamari (you don't want this flavor overly strong)
roughly about 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (I used a very heaping
   handful)

In a large saucepan, or small pot, put large cubes of red potatoes and
cover with water.  In a frying pan saute onions in oil, diluting with
some water if you don't want to use a lot of oil.  Add spices, garlic
powder (you can also add a couple cloves of crushed, diced garlic),
and salt.  When the onions start to turn translucent, turn the
potatoes on.  When they have started to boil, keep the temperature at
about medium-high.  Add the nutritional yeast.  Add the tamari to the
onions and stir in.  When the onions are done, add them to the
potatoes. When the potatoes begin to turn soft, it's done!

This soup reminds me a lot of french onion soup. I made a second batch
for some friends and added about 3 onions and it was wonderful!

Tara
--
Tara McDermott                                  [email-masked]

Sweet and sweet is their poisoned note, the little snakes' of silver throat,
in mossy skulls that nest and lie, ever singing "die, oh! die."