Constitution of WGA3
Article I : Purpose
The purpose of the Women’s Graduate Association of Aeronautics
and Astronautics is to represent and support the women in
Aero/Astro. The group will:
1. Build community among graduate women
2. Facilitate communication between the department and the
3. Build a relationship between women faculty and graduate
4. Provide academic and social support
5. Collaborate with the department to encourage undergraduate
women to explore
the Aero-Astro Graduate program.
6. Forge lasting friendships
Article II : Membership
1. Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a
member of this
organization. One is considered a member
of this organization in any given
academic term if she has attended at
least one club activity and one meeting in
the preceding or current term.
2. The membership of this organization will at all times contain
at least 5 MIT
students and be more than half MIT
3. This organization will not discriminate based on any
characteristic listed in MIT's
4. If this organization charges any monetary dues, there will be
exceptions made for
students that cannot afford these dues.
Article III : Officers
1. This organization will have two officers:
i. The president shall be the official representative of the
group to any other
organization and to MIT.
ii. The president will preside over all meetings.
iii. The president is responsible for determining when
meetings are and
publicizing this to the group.
i. The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the
ii. The treasurer is required to sign all checks/vouchers of
2. All officers of this organization must be distinct persons
and MIT students.
a. Elections of officers shall occur in February of every year.
b. Any member of this organization is eligible to run for
c. Quorum for elections is one half of the group.
d. Any member is elected if she wins a majority of the voting
e. If more than two people are running and no one wins a
majority, then the person
with the fewest votes is dropped from
the ballot and votes are recast.
f. The term of office runs from February until the February of
the following year.
4. Removal : Officers may be removed by a one half vote of the
Article IV : Meetings
1. Meetings shall be held at least every 2 months.
2. Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless she
is absent, and in that
case the Treasurer shall preside.
3. All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members
4. Quorum for a meeting shall be one quarter of the members of
Article V : Amendments
1. Amendments shall be presented by any member of the
2. Amendments shall be passed by a two-thirds vote of the
3. Quorum for amending this constitution shall be one third of
all members of the
Article VI : ASA Governance Clause
The Women’s Graduate Association of Aeronautics and Astronautics
agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association
of Student Activities and its executive board. This
constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this
organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive
Board to insure that they are in accordance with the
aforementioned rules and regulations.