The Constitution of Isshinryu Karate-do at MIT
Article I: Purpose
The purpose of the Isshinryu Karate-do is to learn and practice Isshinryu karate. Through the exercise of both body and mind, we learn to defend ourselves, to control our body's movements, and to improve our strength, flexibility, balance and endurance.
Article II: Membership
Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a member of this organization. One is considered a member of this organization in any given academic term if she has attended at least one club activity and one meeting in the preceding or current term.
The organization's membership will at all times consist of at least 5 MIT students and be more than half MIT students.
This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT's Nondiscrimination Statement.
This organization does not charge any monetary dues.
Article III: Officers
- This organization will have two officers:
- The president shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
- The president will preside over all meetings.
- The president is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- The treasurer is required to sign all checks/vouchers of the group.
- All officers of this organization must be distinct persons and MIT students.
- Elections of officers shall occur once every year.
- Any member of this organization is eligible to run for office.
- Quorum for elections is two thirds of the group.
- Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from one election to the next.
- Removal: Officers may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the members.
Article IV: Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least once every year.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless she is absent, and in that case the other officer shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting shall be one quarter of the members of the organization.
Article V: Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a two-thirds] voted of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be two-thirds of all members of the organization.
Article VI: ASA Governance Clause
The Isshinryu Karate-do agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.