Vijay Kumar provides leadership for sustainable technology-enabled educational innovation at MIT. He currently leads Strategic Educational Initiatives in MIT's Office of Digital Learning. In his prior roles at MIT as Senior Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education, Assistant Provost and Director of Academic Computing, as well at other institutions, Vijay has been responsible for strategy development and leading units engaged in the effective integration of information technology and media services in education.
Vijay was the Principal Investigator of O.K.I (Open Knowledge Initiative), an MIT-led collaborative project to develop an open architecture for enterprise educational applications.
Vijay is a member of the Faculty Advisory Committee of MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW). He is the Executive officer for MIT's Council on Educational Technology. He was a member of the steering committee for I-Campus, the MIT-Microsoft Alliance initiative for educational technology.
Vijay's research, as well as his engagements as advisor/consultant are directed toward strategy, planning and implementing technological innovations for education. These include:
- Smithsonian (Advisor for Digital Futures).
- India National Knowledge Commission, (honorary advisor 2006- 2009).
- UNESCO (developing strategies for open educational resources, open technology and policy)
- Open University of Catalonia (Educational Innovation)
- Singapore University of Technology and Design (IT)
- Qatar Foundation International(educational technology and innovation)
- Massachusetts STEM Council's Network Operations Board.
His experience also includes programs for K-12 curriculum and teacher professional development and planning through innovative uses of technology.
He currently co-leads the Tata-MIT CLIx initiative to advance educational quality and access through technology in underserved Indian schools.He is Co-PI for the Woodrow Wilson-MIT Teaching Systems Lab initiative for professional development of teacher through contemporary learning science and technology for competency based education.
Vijay was a member of the Applications Strategy Council for Internet2, Chair of the governing Board of the Seminars on Academic Computing (SAC) Snowmass, CO and NERCOMP and trustee of the Corporation for Research and Education Networking (CREN).
He serves as Trustee of EDC, an international educational development organization and Chair of board of directors of the New Media Consortium.
He serves as an Advisor for Learnlaunch Insitute, an Ed Tech Accelerator
Vijay has been actively involved in efforts, such as the Kaleidoscope project and Curriki, as well as those supported by the Hewlett and Gates Foundations to advance the use of Open Educational Resources for improving educational access and quality.
He is currently co-PI of an NSF supported MIT initiative for capacity building in STEM education in Haiti through educational technology and open resources.p>He is co-PI of a US Department of Education project, “Fly-By-Wire” directed towards assisting teachers in scalably addressing the learning needs of differently prepared and motivated students;
Vijay is a co-editor of a Carnegie Foundation book "Opening Up Education" (MIT Press, August 2008). He has authored numerous articles in the area of educational innovations and technology strategy.
Vijay was recently awarded an Honorary Professorship by Tianjin Open University, October 2013. He was also appointed as the Exxon Mobil Chair for Technology Enabled Learning at the University of Qatar, 2014.
- Ed.D. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1986; Dissertation: "Introducing Technological Innovations for Education in a Developing Country - Implications for Planning."
- M.S. Industrial Management, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras, India, 1978; Dissertation: "Systemic Planning for Higher Education Administration"
- B.Tech. Chemical Engineering, IIT, Madras, India, 1975.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, IIT, Madras, India, 2011.