Dreamweaver Setup for 2.744
> Dreamweaver Setup for 2.744
Dreamweaver Quick Start
- Select a local directory. Determine where on your computer you will be putting the files for your website. All files for a website should be contained within one directory (which may have many subdirectories or levels of subdirectories).
- Know where you will be putting the file on your target webserver (remote/host directory).
For 2.744, all assignments will be going into a directory that has the following format:
The path format will be provided for you with each assignment.
- Know the URL to view the directory on the webserver.
For 2.744, all assignments may be tested by going to the URL that has the following format:
For athena, you create the URL by replacing the
/afs/athena.mit.edu/course/2 in the path with
Defining a Site
You will create a new site for each 2.744 assignment.
- From menubar, select Site-->New Site...
- Site Name: use a phrase that identifies the site to you (e.g., Test Site, Human Use Analysis Site, etc.)
- Local Site Folder: Click on the folder icon at the end to select your local directory (defined above).
- Select Servers from the left menubar. Then click the plus sign to create a new server setting.
- Fill in the information about the webserver you want to move your files to.
- Select a server name to identify the server to you.
- Select SFTP as the protocol to Connect using:
- Fill in the SFTP server for the SFTP address.
- Fill in your athena username and password. You can choose whether or not to save your password.
- Put your remote directory (defined above) as your Root Directory.
- Put the URL to view the directory on the webserver (explained above) as your Web URL.
- Test that your information is correct. You will need to enter your password for the test to connect successfully. You should get a confirmation that Dreamweaver is able to connect to the webserver.
Click OK to dismiss the confirmation dialog. If you get an error, check that all the information is typed in correctly.
- Click Save to save these settings for the webserver.
- From the left menu bar, select Local Info. Be sure Case-sensitive links checking is selected (with check mark).
- Click Save to save your site's settings.
Note: To view your list of sites and to edit a site's settings, select from the menubar Site-->Manage Sites...
Using the Files viewer
- To see the files viewer, select from the menubar Window-->Files.
- Initially, the files viewer shows you the files in your local directory for one of your sites. The site it is displaying is indicated in the first combo box on the left. You may select a different site to view from the combo box.
- The combo box to the right of the site combo box, which currently says "Local view" indicates which computer's filesystem the files view is currently displaying. Change it to "Remote server" to view the files on your webserver.
- You may select files in the file viewer and use the Upload and Download buttons (the Upload one is pointed out in the local view image above) to move files between your computer and the webserver.
You will generally want Dreamweaver to also move all dependent files (e.g., linked images) to the other computer.
- If the file view does not look like what you expect (e.g., it is missing files or has a file you thought you deleted), hit the Refresh button to make sure that the files viewer is showing you the most up-to-date version of that filesystem, and not a cached view. The Refresh button is pointed out in the remote view above.
- To see both the local and the remote server at the same time, click on the "Expand" button which is the one on the farthest right in the files menu button bar.
- To delete a file off of the remote server, delete it (or move it out of the local directory temporarily) from your local view first, then select the file to delete from the remote server view and ask to synchronize it with the local view (right-click, Synchronize...).