Statistics for the Year


In academic year 2001–2002, student enrollment was 10,204, compared with 10,090 in 2000–2001. There were 4,220 undergraduates (4,258 the previous year) and 5,984 graduate students (5,832 the previous year). The international student population was 2,589, representing 8 percent of the undergraduate and 37.5 percent of the graduate populations. These students were citizens of 109 countries. (Students with permanent residence status are included with US citizens.)

In AY2002, there were 3,457 women students (1,765 undergraduate and 1,692 graduate) at the Institute, compared with 3,335 (1,755 undergraduate and 1,580 graduate) in AY2001. In September 2001, 428 first-year women entered MIT, representing 41 percent of the freshman class of 1,033 students.

In AY2002, there were, as self-reported by students, 2,834 minority students (1,987 undergraduate and 847 graduate) at the Institute, compared with 2,780 (1,984 undergraduate and 796 graduate) in AY2001. Minority students included 382 African Americans (non-Hispanic), 97 Native Americans, 591 Hispanic Americans, and 1,764 Asian Americans. The first-year class entering in September 2001 included 498 minority students, representing 48 percent of the class.

Degrees Awarded

Degrees awarded by the Institute in AY2002 included 1,187 bachelor's degrees, 1,520 master's degrees, 10 engineer's degrees, and 501 doctoral degrees—a total of 3,218 (compared with 3,238 the previous year).

Student Financial Aid

During AY2002, 2,448 undergraduates received a total of $60,833,644 in student financial aid, exclusive of student employment and parent loans. This represents an increase of 6.25 percent in the number of grant and loan recipients and of 12.5 percent in total grants and students loans, reflecting the continuing downturn in the economy in the United States and abroad.

Total grant assistance to undergraduates was $52,013,220, an increase of 22.5 percent from the previous year, some of which is the result of improved data collection for private sources of grant aid. Seventy-five percent of this total grant assistance was from MIT sources, 9.5 percent from federal sources, and 15.5 percent from state and private sources. While MIT awards all its grants based on need, most private scholarships are awarded on merit or a combination of need and merit. Endowed scholarships and current gifts funded 92 percent of the MIT grants; the remaining 8 percent came from unrestricted funds.

Undergraduate students borrowed $8,820,424, a decrease of 24 percent from the previous year. This is the fifth consecutive year in which undergraduate borrowing decreased. Of the total loans made to undergraduates, $7,649,589, or 87 percent, came from federal sources, and the remaining 13 percent from MIT sources.

Graduate and professional students borrowed $22,067,204, an increase of 47 percent from the previous year. Of the total loans made to graduate and professional students, $11,336,543, or 51 percent, came from federal sources, 32 percent from private sources, and the remaining 17 percent from MIT sources. The significant increase in graduate and professional student borrowing is attributable to the CitiAssist Loan program for the Sloan School of Management.

Career Services and Preprofessional Advising

Fears of a devastated job market were not reflected in on-campus recruiting during AY2002. While the numbers were down 31 percent from the preceding year, almost 400 companies participated in InterviewTrak, the web-based employment recruiting program of the Office of Career Services and Preprofessional Advising (OCSPA). There were 13,156 users registered with the program, including 7,252 undergraduates, 3,681 master's candidates, 168 MBA candidates, 1,844 doctoral candidates and 211 postdocs. OCSPA coordinated over 1,000 schedules resulting in more than 6,000 interviews. Largely due to travel restrictions and budget cuts, some employers chose not to come to MIT. Instead they used the online system to review candidates' resumes and then conducted first-round interviews by telephone, following up with plant trips in the second round.

Consulting and finance firms made up over a quarter (26.7 percent) of the AY2002 on-campus recruiting program. Software and Internet firms accounted for 16.5 percent; materials, oil, chemical, and food employers, 6.7 percent; biomedical device and pharmaceutical firms, 5.8 percent; and information systems consulting firms, 2.9 percent. A variety of other employer types, including civilian electronics, federally funded laboratories, and design, construction, and engineering services, comprised the remaining 41.4 percent. Engineering salary offers typically ranged from $49,000 to $58,000 for bachelor's candidates, $60,000 to $75,000 for master's candidates, and $71,000 to $91,000 for doctoral candidates.

In 2001, there were 123 MIT applicants to medical school—6 graduate students, 54 undergraduates and 63 alumni/ae. Acceptance rates were 100 percent for graduate students, 65 percent for undergraduates, and 70 percent for alumni/ae. (The national acceptance rate for all applicants was 50 percent.) The average GPA of accepted undergraduates was 3.74/4.0.

return to top

Private Support

Private support for fiscal year 2002 totaled $222.9 million and included $214.7 million in gifts, grants, and bequests, and $8.2 million in support through membership in the Industrial Liaison Program. The total compares with $200.8 million in 2001, $233.6 million in 2000, $209 million in 1999, and $143.9 million in 1998. Gifts-in-kind for the past year (principally gifts of equipment) were valued at $5.7 million.

By source, gifts from alumni/ae totaled $76.3 million; non-alumni friends, $14.3 million; corporations, corporate foundations, and trade associations, $48.8 million; foundations, charitable trusts, and other charitable organizations, $66.7 million; and others, $8.6 million.

return to top


Unrestricted revenues available for operations for FY2002 totaled $1.59 billion, and total operating expenses were $1.54 billion. Net assets decreased $0.8 billion, totaling $7.1 billion at year-end. The market value of the MIT endowment at year-end was $5.5 billion, $0.8 billion lower than the previous year.

The research revenues of departmental and interdepartmental laboratories, primarily on campus, totaled $419.1 million in FY2002, an increase of 4.5 percent from the previous year. Industrial sponsors as a group remained the largest source of sponsored funds at MIT, followed by the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense. Lincoln Laboratory reported revenues of $392.1 million, an increase of 10.4 percent from last year's $355.2 million.

return to top

Facilities and Campus Environment

Academic year 2001–2002 was probably the busiest and most challenging the Department of Facilities has faced in decades. The remarkable level of activity reflected unprecedented capital construction, numerous renovations and space changes, and the Institute's ongoing response to the dangers of terrorism.

During the year, work continued on many major construction projects:

The Design and Construction Services group within the Department of Facilities undertook a variety of significant renovation projects, in addition to completing 95 space changes throughout the Institute. Project highlights included the initial phase of renovating Lobby 7, involving masonry restoration, floor cleaning, and major work on the skylight, which was lit for the first time since the World War II blackout; a new entrance and facade for The MIT Museum; and renovations in Building 26 to house the Technology Enabled Active Learning initiative in the Department of Physics.

Other major changes included renovations to the second floor of Building 3, equipping lecture hall 3-270 with state-of-the-art distance learning capabilities, and adding the George and Daphne Hatsopoulos Microfluids Laboratory on the entire west side of the floor; and renovations to the sub-basement of Building 66, the sixth floor of Building 37, and the fourth floor of Building N52.

Off campus, the first phase of a renovation and expansion program was completed at Endicott House in Dedham. The changes increased the amenities and the capacity of the kitchen facilities, upgraded life-safety systems, and improved access to the mansion.

Since the terrorist attacks of September 11, administrative leaders and staff from across the Institute have collaborated on efforts to ensure that the campus is secure while maintaining the level of openness appropriate and necessary for an academic community. Staff in many administrative areas—including notably the Campus Police, Environmental Programs and Risk Management, the Department of Facilities, and Information Systems—played critical roles in the Task Force on Campus Security and related initiatives. A new Security Operations Team has prioritized security tasks and is responsible for their implementation: enhancements have been made in access and communications systems, campus lighting and patrols, operational procedures and protocols, and training.


return to top
Table of Contents