Subject: comp.windows.x Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 4/6
From: [email-masked] (David B. Lewis)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 13:12:14 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x,news.answers,comp.answers

Archive-name: x-faq/part4
Last-modified: 1995/07/30

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  77)  Where can I get an X server on a PC (DOS or Unix)?

X11R6 contains sources for a number of X servers from XFree86, Inc.:
XF86_S3, XF86_Mach8, XF86_Mach32, XF86_8514, XF86_Mono, XF86_Bdm, XF86_SVGA,
and XF86_VGA16.  See xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86.  Also included in R6 is
Xsvga from SGCS and Thomas Roell; see xc/programs/Xserver/hw/svga.  All of
the above are Unix-based.

X11R5 already provides a server to many 386/486 *Unixes* with support for
many of the popular video graphics adapters; and for other non-MSDOS PCs you
can obtain a server from these sources:

XFree86 (formerly X386 1.2E) is an enhanced version of X386 1.2, which was
distributed with X11R5; it includes many bug fixes, speed improvements, and
other enhancements. Source for version 2.0 [10/93] is on ftp.x.org in
contrib/XFree86, ftp.physics.su.oz.au in /XFree86, and ftp.win.tue.nl in
/pub/XFree86. In addition, binaries are on ftp.physics.su.oz.au, and
ftp.win.tue.nl among other systems. Info: [email-masked].  Note: this
package obsoletes Glenn Lai's Speedup patches for an enhanced X11R5 server
for 386 UNIXes with ET4000 boards (SpeedUp.tar.Z on ftp.x.org).

Metro Link Inc. (305-970-7353, [email-masked]; in Europe contact ADNT,
(33 1) 3956 5333) ships an implementation of X11R4 for the 386/486 Unix
market.

SGCS offers X386 Version 1.3, based on Thomas Roell's X11R5 two-headed
server, in binary and source form. Information: 408-255-9665, [email-masked].

ISC, SCO, UHC, and other well-known operating-system vendors typically offer
X servers.

For MSDOS PCs:

Daniel J. McCoy ([email-masked]) has started posting monthly a 
list of non-UNIX servers for PCs, Macs, and Amigas; it includes pricing 
information. The current copy is kept on ftp.x.org in contrib as 
XServers-NonUNIX.txt.Z. (Note: may be significantly out of date.)

An article on PC X servers appears in the March 2, 1992 Open Systems Today.

Also of possible use:

Net-I from Programit (212-809-1707) enables communication among DOS, OS/2 and
Unix machines and can be used to display PC sessions on your Unix X display.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  78)  Where can I get an X server on a Macintosh running MacOS?

eXodus from White Pine Software (603-886-9050) runs on any Mac with at least
1MB of memory and supports intermixing of X and Mac windows and also supports
the SHAPE extension. Version 5.0 became available 10/93.

Apple's MacX runs on MacPlus or newer machines with >= 2MB of memory and
system software 6.0.4 or later. Version 1.1 is fully X11R4-based.  It
supports full ICCCM-compatible cut and paste of text AND graphics between the
Macintosh and X11 worlds, the SHAPE extension (including SHAPEd windows on
the Macintosh desktop), an optional built-in ICCCM-compliant window manager,
X11R4 fonts and colors, a built-in BDF font compiler, and built-in standard
colormaps. Upgrades to MacX are available by ftp from aux.support.apple.com.
Info: 408-996-1010.

Tenon's MachTen X Window Software, Release 3.0, is a comprehensive X display
server and X client development environment. It includes an X11R5 server
ported to MachTen/MacOS, standard window managers, an a set of X11R5
client-side libraries.  Info: Tenon Intersystems, 805-963-698, AppleLink:
TENON.

Also: 

Liken (1-800-245-UNIX or [email-masked]) software enables monochrome 68000
Mac applications to run on a SPARC system running X.

Xport (1-800-245-UNIX (415-572-0200) or [email-masked]) enables Mac
applications to display on an X-based workstation by turning the Mac into an
X client. [Note: there are questions on whether this product is still
available.]

Intercon has a product called Planet-X which enables Mac applications to
display on an X server.

AGE Logic will ship XoftWare for Macintosh in March 1995.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  79)  Where can I get X for the Amiga?

	The new Amiga 3000 machines offer an X server and OPEN LOOK tools and
libraries on a full SVR4 implementation.

        GfxBase, Inc. provides "X11 R4.1" for the AmigaDos computer; it 
contains X11R4 clients, fonts, etc., and a Release 4 color server. An optional 
programmer's toolkit includes the header files, libraries, and sample programs.
Info from GfxBase, 408-262-1469. [Dale Luck 
(uunet!{cbmvax|pyramid}!boing!dale); 2/91]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  80)  Where can I get a serial-based X server for connecting from home?

Until LBX (q.v.) is more common, an option includes NCD's PC-XView with
PC-Xremote.

sxpc (by Robert Andrew Ryan ([email-masked])) is a simple X protocol
compressor. Sources are on atk.itc.cmu.edu or from ftp.x.org (in
R5contrib/sxpc-1.4.shar.Z).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  81)  Where can I get a fast X server for a workstation?

The R5 server should be among the fastest available for most machines.

Sun sells a "Direct Xlib" product which improves rendering for applications
running on the same machine as the X server; the replacement Xlib library
accesses graphics hardware directly using Sun's Direct Graphics Access (DGA)
technology.

Several companies are making hardware accellerator boards:

Dupont Pixel Systems (302-992-6911), for Sun.

Megatek's (619-455-5590) X-cellerator board for the Sun 3 and Sun 4 is based
on the TI 34020; the company claims performance improvements of 5x to 10x
over the sample X11R3 server.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  82)  Where can I get a server for my high-end Sun graphics board?

The R6 Xsun24 server supports the CG8 (RasterOps SPARC Card TC).  The R6 Xsun
also supports multiple framebuffers of the same type. (It's possible that
this code will work for a CG9, and for a CG12 as a dumb memory frame buffer.
The X Consortium doesn't have a CG9 or a CG12 at the X Consortium and so is
not able to provide support for these frame buffers.)

Takahashi Naoto (Electrotechnical Laboratory, [email-masked]) has
modified the X11R5 server to support the Sun CG8, CG9, and CG12 boards.  The
files are on ftp.x.org in R5contrib/Xsun24-3.[01].tar.Z.  Note that both files
are necessary to build Xsun24-3.1.

The R5 Xsun Multi-screen server is a general purpose replacement for the
pre-R6 server/ddx/sun layer; it supports multiple framebuffers of the same
type and implements several other features above the Consortium
implementation.  Available on ftp.x.org in the file
R5contrib//Xsun.multi-screen/R5.Xsun.multi-screen.tar.Z. [Kaleb Keithley, now
[email-masked], 12/91].

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  83)  Where can I get an "X terminal" server for my low-end Sun 3/50?

Seth Robertson ([email-masked]) has written Xkernel; the current
version [1.4 as of 8/91, 2.0 expected RSN] is on sol.ctr.columbia.edu
[128.59.64.40] in /pub/Xkernel.gamma. It turns a Sun 3/50 into a pseudo- X
terminal; most of the overhead of the operating system is side-stepped, so it
is fairly fast and needs little disk space.

A similar approach is to run the regular X server by making /etc/init a shell
script which does the minimal setup and then invokes Xsun, like this example
script from [email-masked]:

#! /bin/sh
exec >/dev/console 2>&1
/etc/fsck -p /dev/nd0
case $? in
 	0)	;;
 	4)	/etc/reboot -q -n
 		;;
 	8)	echo ND fsck failed - get help
 		/etc/halt
 		;;
 	12)	echo Interrupted
 		/etc/reboot
 		;;
 	*)	echo Unknown error in reboot fsck - get help
 		/etc/halt
 		;;
esac
/bin/dd if=/tmp-fs of=/dev/nd2 bs=512 count=128 >/dev/null 2>&1
/etc/mount /dev/nd2 /tmp
/etc/ifconfig le0 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 132.206.41.255
/etc/mount -o ro apollo:/u2/x11/lib /local/lib/X11
/etc/route add default 132.206.41.1 1 >/dev/null
set `/etc/ifconfig le0`
exec /Xsun -once -multidisp -mux -query \
	`(sh -vn </local/lib/X11/xdm-servers/$2 2>&1)`

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  84)  What terminal emulators other than xterm are available?

People from PCS have rewritten xterm from scratch using a multi-widget
approach that can be used by applications. Emu supports features like color,
blinking text/cursors. Emulations can be added on the fly; one emulation
provided is for the Vt220. Version 1.3 is on ftp.x.org and on the R6 contrib
tape.  For more information, contact [email-masked].

A modification of xterm that supports ANSI color is in 
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPHA/dosemu/Development:ansi-xterm-R6.tgz.

A set of modifications for color support to xterm is on ftp.x.org in
xterm_color.diffs.Z.

mxterm, a Motif-based xterm is available from the Paderborner ftp-Server
[email-masked] (131.234.2.32), file
/unix/X11/more_contrib/mxterm.tar.Z. A version is also on ftp.x.org, as is
apparently a set of color modifications.

The Color Terminal Widget provides ANSI-terminal emulation compatible with
the VTx00 series; a version is on ftp.x.org in R5contrib/CTW-1.1.tar.Z. A Motif
version is on ftp.stna7.stna.dgac.fr in pub/Term-1.0.tar.Z.

kterm is an X11R4-based vt100/vt102 (and Tektronix 4014) terminal
emulator that supports display of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean text (in VT
mode).  Also supported are: ANSI color sequences, multi-byte word selection,
limited Compound Text support, and tab and newline preservation in
selections.  kterm 4.1.2 is also available from these anonymous ftp sites:
	clr.nmsu.edu:pub/misc/kterm-4.1.2.tar.Z  [128.123.1.14]
	ftp.x.org:R5contrib/kterm-5.2.0.tar.Z  

mterm, by [email-masked], is an X terminal emulator which
includes ANSI X3.64 and DEC emulation modes.  mterm can be had by ftp to
collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (132.206.78.1), in X/mterm.src/mterm.ball-o-wax.

color_xterm is available from ftp.x.org.

Cxterm is a Chinese xterm, which supports both GB2312-1980 and the so-called
Big-5 encoding.  Hanzi input conversion mechanism is builtin in cxterm.  Most
input methods are stored in external files that are loaded at run time.
Users can redefine any existing input methods or create their own ones.  The
X11R5 cxterm is the rewritten of cxterm (version 11.5.1) based on X11R5
xterm; it is in the R5 contrib software.  [thanks to Zhou Ning
<[email-masked]> and Steinar Bang <uunet!idt.unit.no!steinarb>.]

XVT is available on ftp.x.org's R5contrib in xvt-1.0.tar.Z and
xvt-1.0.README.  It is designed to offer xterm's functionality with lower
swap space and may be of particular use on systems driving many X terminals.
A second version, 2.0, is on unix.hensa.ac.uk in misc/unix/xvt/xvt-2.0.tar.Z
(see also xvt-2.0.patch[12]).

x3270 is in ftp.x.org contrib/applications/x3270.

The typescript application and inset in the Andrew User Interface System
offers a shell script interface.  It does not provide curses support, but
does permit general cut/copy/paste to construct commands or extract a portion
of the log.

hanterm (2.0), by [email-masked], is an xterm modified to support
Hangul (Korean writing system) input/output.  It's available at several
Korean archives(cair.kaist.ac.kr,kum.kaist.ac.kr,etc) and seoul.caltech.edu
in the US. This version makes obsolete an older version not based on xterm.

Another experimental hanterm implementation, hanterm (3.0 alpha), is underway
by Chang Hyeong-Kyu at [email-masked]; it was written to support a 3-byte
Hangul code (dictionary ordered), which can compose all possible Hangul
characters.

A GenTerm widget is on iworks.ecn.uiowa.edu.  It contains a pty widget which
can be attached to a shell.  Note that the vt100 emulation hasn't been that
well tested.

Also:

IBM sells a 3270 emulator for the RS/6000 (part #5765-011); it's based on
Motif.

Century Software (801-268-3088) sells a VT220 terminal emulator for X.
VT102, Wyse 50 and SCO Color Console emulation are also available.

Grafpoint's TGRAF-X provides emulation of Tektronix 4107, 4125, and 42xx
graphics terminals; it's available for most major platforms. Information
(inc. free demo copies): 800-426-2230; Fax. 408-446-0666;
uunet!grafpnt!sales.

IXI's X.deskterm, a package for integrating character-based applications into
an X environment, includes a number of terminal-emulation modules.
Information: +44 (0223) 462131. [5/90]

Pericom produces Teem-X, a set of several emulation packages for a number of
Tek, DEC, Westward, and Data General terminals. The software runs on Sun 3,
Sun 4, Apollo, DEC, ISC, IBM/AIX. Information: US: 609-895-0404, UK: +44
(0908) 560022. [5/90]

SCO's SCOterm ([email-masked]), part of its Open Desktop environment, is a
Motif-compliant SCO ANSI color console emulator.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  85)  Does xterm offer colored text or a blinking cursor?

	No; these features are not offered by the xterm program.  However, 
several of the emulators mentioned above do offer these features; the list is 
partial:
	- mterm, color-xterm, CTW and emu support colored text
	- mterm and emu support blinking text
	- mterm and emu support block and underline text cursors
	- emu supports a blinking text cursor 

[Thanks to Michael Elbel ([email-masked]); 10/93]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  86)! Where can I get an X-based editor or word-processor?

You can ftp a version of GNU Emacs, the extensible, customizable,
self-documenting, real-time display editor, including X11 support, from
prep.ai.mit.edu [18.71.0.38]:/pub/gnu/. Version 19 has some mouse/menu
support.

Epoch is a modified version of Gnu Emacs (18) with additional facilities
useful in an X environment. Current sources are on cs.uiuc.edu
(128.174.252.1) in ~ftp/pub/epoch-files/epoch; the current [8/92] version is
4.2. [In Europe, try unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de].  There are two
subdirectories: epoch contains the Epoch source, and widgets contains code
for adding scrollbars to Epoch.  You can get on the Epoch mailing list by
sending a request to [email-masked].  Epoch is no longer
supported.  The official successor to Epoch is Lucid Emacs which is available
at cs.uiuc.edu in ~ftp/pub/lemacs.  All functionality which was only present
in Epoch is gradually being ported to Lucid Emacs.

XEmacs (formerly Lucid Emacs) is a version of GNU Emacs derived from an early
version of Emacs version 19.  It currently requires X Windows to run;  X
support is greatly enhanced over GNU Emacs version 18, including support for
multiple X windows, input and display of all ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) characters,
Zmacs/Lispm style region highlighting, a customizable Motif-like menubar,
more powerful keymap support, flexible text attributes, support on regional
and screen-local basis through X resources and/or lisp, and support for the
X11 selection mechanism.  Lucid Emacs is free; the latest version (6/95) is
19.12, and is available from FTP.CS.UIUC.EDU (128.174.252.1). See also
http://xemacs.cs.uiuc.edu/. There is now an HTML mode/browser.

The vi-like editor VILE supports a pure-X mode, in which it operates much
like vi running in an xterm window.  Though not a strict vi clone, [x]vile is
designed to feel like vi to the practiced user; it adds many useful features,
most notably multiple buffer and window capabilities.  Version 5.2 [3/95],
which also supports Xt-based implementations (including a Motif version) is
available on id.wing.net in /pub/pgf/vile. Information: Paul Fox
([email-masked]).

The Andrew system on the X11 contrib tapes has been described as one of the
best word-processing packages available. It supports word processing with
multi-media embedded objects: rasters, tables/spread sheets, drawings, style
editor, application builder, embedded programming language, &c.  [Fred Hansen
([email-masked])] Version 6.3 is on the R6 tapes and is also in
ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/AUIS/dist-6.3.  You may be able to use the
Remote Andrew Demo service to try this software; try "finger
[email-masked]" for help. Version 7.2 is now (5/95) available.

The InterViews C++ toolkit contains a WYSIWIG editor called Doc; it saves and
loads files in a LaTeX-*like* format (not quite LaTeX).  The package can also
import idraw-PostScript drawings.

NEdit 3.1 (10/94) is a Motif-based text editor supporting multiple windows
and multi-level undo; it is very complete in its features while remaining
very easy to use.  Sources are on ftp.x.org and also from
ftp.fnal.gov:pub/nedit/, which also offers pre-built binaries several
platforms, including Sun, SGI, HP, and DEC systems.  Information: Mark Edel
([email-masked], [email-masked]);
http://cdibm.fnal.gov:/nirvana/nedit.html.

aXe (by [email-masked]), a multi-buffer, multi-window text editor
based around the Xaw Text Widget, is available on ftp.x.org and
arjuna.newcastle.ac.uk (128.240.150.1) as aXe-6.1.2.tar.Z [6/94]. aXe offers
a hypertext help system and extension via Tcl.

asedit, by [email-masked], is an easy-to-use text editor built around
Motif text widget. It supports multiple windows, pull-down and pop-up menus,
multiple undo and redo, and so on.  Version 1.31, the International Free
Release, includes the following language versions: English, Danish, Dutch,
French, German, Polish, Portuguese and Swedish. All commands and messages are
localized for each language (the context sensitive, hypertext on-line help is
available only in English). asedit is available from ftp.x.org in
/contrib/editors as asedit-1.3.2.tar.Z [11/94].

asWedit is an HTML3 editor available from
URL:ftp://ftp.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/packages/www/tools/asWedit/ or from
URL:ftp://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/www/asWedit/. Version 1.1.1 became
available 7/95.

ashe (xthml) is an x-based HTML editor.

phoenix is an X-based (TCL/TK-based) HTML editor. 

e93 is a programmer oriented text editor that works with X windows.  It is
most similar to editors on the Mac, and NeXT platforms.  Information: Todd
Squires, [email-masked].

tkedit 1.5.0 [5/95] uses tcl as an extension language; it offers multiple
buffers, split views, general X11 selections, function-key macro recording,
etc.  Sources are on ftp.aud.alcatel.com and on
ftp.ifh.de/pub/unix/edit/tkedit-1.5.0.tar.Z.

BETH is a Browsing and Editing Tcl Hypertool available from
harbor.ecn.purdue.edu in /pub/tcl/code/beth4.1.tar.gz.  Features include
unlimited undo, menus, vertical/horizontal grids, and name completion.
Info:  [email-masked] (David Svoboda).

The DGC Tools, on harbor.ecn.purdue.edu in pub/tcl/code/dgctools-0.2.tar.Z,
include Tke, a TclX/Tk-based multi-window X11 text editor. Information is
available from Dave Clemans ([email-masked]), who promises a
significant update soon.

The js tools by Jay Sekora, on harbor.ecn.purdue.edu in
pub/tcl/code/jstools-tk3.2v1.0.tar.Z and on princeton.edu in
pub/js/jstools-tk3.2v1.0.tar.Z, include a extensible text editor.

Mxedit is a fully functional text editor based on the Tk mxedit widget. The
editor features indefinite undo/redo/crash recovery, search/replace, and
extensibility via Tcl programming. The latest version is always avaiable on
parcftp.xerox.com under the /pub/mxedit directory.  The Tcl archive mirror
site harbor.ecn.purdue.edu also has a copy in /pub/tcl/code.  Version 2.3.1
is soon (7/94) to be updated to 2.4.  The contact for mxedit is
[email-masked] (Brent Welch)

Sam is an interactive multi-file text editor intended for bitmap displays. A
textual command language supplements the mouse-driven, cut-and-paste
interface to make complex or repetitive editing tasks easy to specify. The
language is characterized by the composition of regular expressions to
describe the structure of the text being modified. Sam was written by Rob
Pike for the Bell Labs Blit/Gnot and later Plan 9, and ported to Unix by
Howard Trickey (also of Bell Labs).  Sam can be ftp'd from research.att.com,
directory /dist/sam; the mailing list itself is archived on
ftp.sys.utoronto.ca in /pub/sam.  Send subscription requests for the sam-fans
mailing list to the address [email-masked].

textedit is part of Sun's OpenWindow's DeskSet and the public XView
distribution.

xed, similar in function to axe and architectures (based on Athena widgets),
is on ftp.x.org in contrib/editors; version 1.3 is current [7/95].

(public editors below this line not recently confirmed)

TED is a simple Motif-based text editor; it is a wrapper around the Motif
text widget which offers search/replace, paragraph formatting, and navigation
features. TED is available from ftp.eos.ncsu.edu (152.1.9.25) as
/pub/bill.tar.Z; there are also executables there.

Point, by [email-masked] (Charlie Crowley), is Tcl/Tk-based and
offers dyanimic configuration and programming in the Tcl macro language.  The
editor is available from cs.unm.edu in pub/Point/point1.63.tar.Z.

xcoral, a multi-window mouse-based text editor, is on ftp.inria.fr
(X/contrib-R5/clients); it also has bindings similar to emacs and has a
built-in browser for C and C++ code.  Version 2.4 was released 4/95.

jed is available from rhino.cis.vutbr.cs in pub/software/czech.

Commercial products include:

A commercial version of Asedit (see above) is available from Stochniol
Advanced Software (+44 (0)81-679-5795, [email-masked]).

Iris Computing Laboratories offers the "ie" editor. Info:  +1-505-298-2700 or
[email-masked]. (See the review in the 1/94 Unix Review.)

Qualix Group ([email-masked] or 800-245-UNIX (415-572-0200)) offers a
BRIEF-compatible, X-based GUI editor that runs on all major UNIX
platforms as well as PCs.  CRISP offers a multi-window/multi-buffer
environment with color highlighting. It is fully customizable.

VITAL (713-781-7406) offers the Crisp editor, a work-alike superset of the
popular BRIEF editor, for several systems.  Previously-available source
versions have been withdrawn from circulation.

FrameMaker and FrameWriter are available as X-based binary products for
several machines. Frame is at 800-843-7263 (CA: 408-433-3311).

WX2 (formerly InDepthEdit) is available from Non Standard Logics (+33 (1) 44
08 70 80; [email-masked]).

The Applixware office integration tools from Applix (1-800-8APPLIX, MA:
508-870-0300) include a multi-font WYSIWG document composer; for several
systems.

(commercial products below this line not recently confirmed)

Elan Computer Group (Mountain View, CA; 415-964-2200) has announced the
Avalon Publisher 2.0, an X11/OPEN LOOK WYSIWYG electronic publishing system.

Buzzwords International Inc. has an editor called 'Professional Edit' that
runs under X/Motif for various platforms.  Info: +1-314-334-6317.

DECwrite is available from DEC for some DEC hardware and SunWrite is
available from Sun.

IslandWrite will soon be available from Island Graphics (415-491-1000)
([email-masked]) for some HP & Apollo platforms.

Interleaf is currently available from Interleaf (800-241-7700, MA:
617-577-9800) on all Sun and DEC platforms; others are under development.

ArborText, Inc. provides an X11 version of its Electronic Publishing program
called "The Publisher". The Publisher is available on Sun, HP and Apollo
workstations. Contact Arbortext at 313-996-3566. [5/90]

Typex is a Motif-based editor available for several systems.  Information:
Amcad Research, 408-867-5705, fax -6209.

WordPerfect offers an X-based version of WordPerfect for several
workstations. Information: 801-222-5300 or 800-451-5151.

Bradford Business Systems (714-859-4428) offers SpeedEdit for several
systems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  87)  Where can I get an X-based mailer?

xmh, an X interface to mh, is distributed with the X11 release.

exmh is a TK-based user interface to MH mail.  It supports arbitrarily nested
folder structures, and it helps you find new mail if you pre-sort it into
different folders as it arrives.  It parses MIME messages and has a limited
MIME composition facility.  You can hook it up to your favorite editor, or
use its built-in editor.  exmh is extensible via Tcl programming and X
resource-based button and menu specifications.  The latest version of exmh is
always available on parcftp.xerox.com:/pub/exmh and a mirror copy is
available on the Tcl archive site, harbor.ecn.purdue.edu:/pub/tcl/code.  The
current version of exmh is 1.4.  The contact for exmh is [email-masked]
(Brent Welch); see also http://www.sunlabs/com/~bwelch/exmh/.

Palm is a TK-based mail program designed to be intuitive to Pine users; it
makes use of xhmh's code for e.g. MIME display. It may not be ready for
distribution yet.

Xmail is an X-based window interface to Berkeley-style mail handlers; it is
styled primarily after the Sunview mailtool application and builds on most
Unix systems. The current release [6/95] is 1.6; older versions are available
in the X11R5 contrib tape and from ftp.x.org
(contrib/applications/xmail_1.6.tar.gz) . Info: Jeff Markham,
[email-masked].

thsmail, by Thomas Schaller ([email-masked]), is a Motif-based
Mail User Agent for RFC822 and MIME messages. The Linux version is freeware;
try ftp.erls02.siemens.de:/pub/linux/thsmail/*.

adcmail (0.9 pre-release), on ftp.csc.liv.ac.uk provides all the normal mail
facilities (message management, aliases, etc.); work is underway to tidy
things up a little and to add MIME compliancy.

coolmail 1.2 became available 4/95. It is a mail notification utility for
UNIX systems running X. Sources are on sunsite.unc.edu in
/pub/packages/mail/.

MMH (My Mail Handler), a motif interface to the MH mail handler, is available
from ftp.eos.ncsu.edu (152.1.9.25) in pub/bill.tar.Z; it is bundled with the
TED editor, which it uses for composing messages. Motif 1.1 is required; if
you don't have it, look for DEC and SPARC executables in the same place.
Information and problems to: Erik Scott, [email-masked]. [1/92]

The Andrew Toolkit supports the Andrew Message System; it is available from
ftp.x.org and many other X archives and from ftp.andrew.cmu.edu
(128.2.232.154), or send email to [email-masked].  You may be able to
use the Remote Andrew Demo service to try this software; try "finger
[email-masked]" for help.

XMailTool is an Xaw-based interface to a BSD-style mail reader; version 2.0
was released 9/92. Information: Bob Kierski, [email-masked] or 612-683-5874.

MuMail, an X-based elm-like mail program is available at
sipb.mit.edu:/pub/seyon/MUMAIL or sunsite.unc.edu in
/pub/Linux/system/Mail/Mumail-2.3b-tar.Z.

Xelm is a work-in-progress by [email-masked] to construct an X
version of the elm mailer.

XLView is an X mailer with MIME support that is also an IMAP client.

Also:

xmailbox 2.2 is an enhanced xbiff and plays sound effects and animation.
Sources are on ftp.x.org in /contrib/applications/xmailbox-2.2.tar.gz.

Also:

Alfalfa Software offers Poste, a UNIX-based mailer that has Motif- and
command-based interfaces.  It includes support for multimedia enclosures, and
supports both the Internet and X.400 mail standards.  Information:
[email-masked], +1 617-497-2922.

Z-Code Software (an NCD company) offers Z-Mail for most Unix systems;
binaries support both tty and Motif interfaces. The mailer includes a
csh-like scripting language for customizing and extending mail capabilities.
Information: 415-898-8649,  [email-masked],
http://www.ncd.com/Z-Code/zcode.html.

Ishmail from Halsoft (ftp.halsoft.com) is available on several platforms.  It
is a MIME-compliant X/Motif-based mailer. See also:
http://www.halsoft.com/products/ishmail.

Several vendors' systems include X-based mailers. DEC offers dxmail; Sun
offers an X-based mailtool; SCO ([email-masked]) includes SCOmail in its Open
Desktop product. HP offers the MPower product.

Several integrated office-productivity tools include mailers:

The Applixware office integration tools from Applix (1-800-8APPLIX, MA:
508-870-0300) include a mailer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  88)! Where can I get an X-based paint/draw program?

Drawing Packages:

xpic is an object-oriented drawing program. It supports multiple font styles
and sizes and variable line widths; there are no rotations or zooms.  xpic is
quite suitable as an interactive front-end to pic, though the xpic-format
produced can be converted into PostScript. (The latest version is on the R4
contrib tape in clients/xpic and on ftp.x.org in R5/contrib/xpic.tar.Z.)

xfig (original work by Supoj Sutanthavibul, with additional work and
currently maintained by Brian V. Smith ([email-masked])) is an
object-oriented drawing program supporting compound objects.  The xfig format
can be converted to PostScript or other formats.  xfig 3.1.3 is available
[1/95] in /contrib/applications/drawing_tools/xfig; transfig 3.1.1 is
available in /contrib/applications/drawing_tools/transfig.  Older versions
are on the R5 contrib tape or on ftp.x.org in /contrib/R5fixes (version 2.1.8
[10/93]).

idraw supports numerous fonts and various line styles and arbitrary
rotations. It supports zoom and scroll and color draws and fills. The file
format is a PostScript dialect. It can import TIFF files. Distributed as a
part of the InterViews C++ toolkit (current release 3.1, from
interviews.stanford.edu) .

tgif by William Cheng ([email-masked]) is available from most uucp
sites and also from ftp.x.org and from cs.ucla.edu. It is frequently updated;
version 2.16.12 was released 7/95. See http://bourbon.cs.ucla.edu:8001/tgif/.

figure in the Andrew User Interface System (versions 5.2 and above) is a
general drawing package which also allows arbitrary Andrew insets to be part
of the drawing.

Picasso 3.8, an interactive drawing tool in the style of idraw, is on
zenon.inria.fr in pub/tk (it requires tk and tclX).

pcb is intended primarly for printed circuit board layouts; it is available
in ftp.medizin.uni-ulm.de:/pub/pcb-1.2/.

Commercial Draw Products: 

FrameMaker has some draw capabilities. [4/90]

Dux Ta-Dah!, 1-800-543-4999

Arts&Letters Composer, 214-661-8960

Ficor AutoGraph, 513-771-4466

IslandGraphics offers IslandDraw.  Info: 415-491-1000.

BBN/Slate from BBN Software Products includes a full-featured draw and paint
program with object grouping and multiple patterns; multiple X platforms.
(617-873-5000 or [email-masked]). [11/90]

Corel Draw, 613-728-8200; ported to X by Prior Data Sciences 800-267-2626

sphinx is a family of tools for the realization of dynamic drawings; it
contains the vector-drawing objecft grinx and an interactve X-based editor.
The toolbox is available from in GmbH (+49 7531 65022, [email-masked]).
	
Paint Packages:

XPaint 2.1, by David Koblas ([email-masked]), is a color bitmap/pixmap
editing tool featuring most standard paint program options.  It allows for
the editing of multiple images simultaneously and supports various formats,
including PPM, XBM, etc.  The current version is available for ftp from
ftp.x.org as R5contrib/xpaint-2.1.1.tar.Z [1/94]

CDE includes an icon editor which supports both xbm and xpm formats. It has
a screen-capture facility and also includes many pre-defined icons.

A new OpenWindows PostScript-based graphical editor named 'ice' is now [2/91]
available for anonymous ftp from Internet host lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
(129.236.10.30).  ice (Image Composition Environment) is an imaging tool that
allows raster images to be combined with a wide variety of PostScript
annotations in WYSIWYG fashion via X11 imaging routines and NeWS PostScript
rasterizing. (It may require OpenWindows and Sun C++ 2.0.)

The "pixmap" program by Lionel Mallet ([email-masked]) for creating
pixmaps is on the R5 contrib tape; it resembles the bitmap client.  Version
2.6 is now available [5/94] on ftp.x.org and avahi.inria.fr.

A version of Robert Forsman's ([email-masked]) xscribble, an
8-bit paint program for X, is now on ftp.cis.ufl.edu in pub/thoth/. [2/93]

Although MetaCard is not generally classified as a paint program, a full
24-bit color image editor is built into the program, which can be used for
light image editing and for producing color icons ([email-masked]).
MetaCard is available via anonymous FTP from ftp.metacard.com, csn.org, or
128.138.213.21.

pixt by J. Michael Flanery ([email-masked]) produces XPM output; it is
available on ftp.x.org.

xpe on ftp.x.org produces XPM output.

Phoenix is a 24-bit editor for editing of photos, notably. An alpha is on
nic.funet.fi:pub/graphics/packages/phoenix.

Yaged (Yet Another Graphics EDitor) is an X/Motif(1.1) TIFF pixmap editor.
Sources are on ftp.sbu.ac.uk in /pub/MotifStuff/yaged.

The SENBEI paint program by Kenichi Chinen ([email-masked]) is
available through ftp://shika.aist-nara.ac.jp/chinen/sp/sp940521.tar.Z. It
loads and saves several file formats.

Commerial Paint Products:

DEC Ultrix includes the dxpaint bitmap editor.

OpenWindows includes the olpixmap editor.

SCO ODT includes the SCOpaint editor.

HP VUE includes the vueicon editor.

Dux Ta-Dah!, 1-800-543-4999

Arts&Letters Composer, 214-661-8960

IslandGraphics offers IslandPaint. Info: 415-491-1000.

xgremlin, a simple drawing editor, is available from PubDraw.

BBN/Slate from BBN Software Products includes a full-featured draw and paint
program with object grouping and multiple patterns; multiple X platforms.
(617-873-5000). [11/90]

Several integrated office-productivity tools include draw/paint capabilities:

The Applixware office integration tools from Applix (1-800-8APPLIX, MA:
508-870-0300) include draw/paint capabilities.

[thanks in part to Stephen J. Byers ([email-masked]), J. Daniel
Smith ([email-masked]), and David Koblas
([email-masked])]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  89)  Where can I get an X-based plotting program?

These usually are available from uucp sites such as uunet or other sites as
marked; please consult the archie server to find more recent versions.
See also the comp.graphics, available from
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/graphics/faq
        or
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/graphics/faq/faq.html 

 gnuplot	X (xplot), PostScript and a bunch of other drivers.
	ftp.x.org [and elsewhere]:R5contrib/gnuplot3.4a.tar.Z

 gl_plot	X output only [?]
	comp.sources.unix/volume18

 graph+
	yallara.cs.rmit.oz.au:/pub/graph+.tar.Z [131.170.24.42]
	comp.sources.unix/volume8

 pdraw,drawplot		2D and 3D X,PS
	scam.berkeley.edu:/src/local/3dplot.tar.Z [128.32.138.1]
	scam.berkeley.edu:/src/local/contour.tar.Z [128.32.138.1]
	scam.berkeley.edu:/src/local/drawplot.tar.Z [128.32.138.1]
	uunet:~ftp/contrib/drawplot.tar.Z

 xgraph		plot, zoom. Outputs PS or HPGL.
	shambhala.berkeley.edu:/pub/xgraph-11.tar.Z [128.32.132.54]
	sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de:X11/contrib/xgraph-11.tar.Z [132.230.1.1]
	nisc.jvnc.net:pub/xgraph-11.tar.Z [128.121.50.7]
	comp.sources.x/volume3
	or many other sites 

 ACE/gr (formerly xvgr and xmgr) XY plotting tools
	ftp.ccalmr.ogi.edu [129.95.72.34]:CCALMR/pub/acegr/xmgr-3.00.tar.Z

 XGobi		An interactive dynamic scatter-plotting tool from Bellcore
	lib.stat.cmu.edu: general/xgobi* [log in as statlib with your email
	as the password; or send email to [email-masked] containing
	the one-line message "send xgobi from general"]
	Information from: Debby Swayne, [email-masked].

 Robot		a scientific XView-based graph plotting and data analysis tool
	ftp.astro.psu.edu:pub/astrod/robotx0.48.tar.Z [128.118.147.70]

 plotmtv	a multi-purpose 2D/3D plotter
	tanqueray.berkeley.edu:/pub/Plotmtv1.3.1.tar.Z
 XgPlot		Motif-based x-y graphing with a movie-loop display
	ftp.x.org:XgPlot-4.1.tar.Z

[2/91. Thanks in part to: [email-masked] (Ed Vielmetti); [email-masked] 
(Geoffrey Leach); Paul A. Scowen ([email-masked]); [email-masked] 
(Mike Black)]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  90)  Where can I get an X-based graph-drawing program?

Xgrab reads a textual specification of a graph, lays out the graph using
heuristics to minimize the number of edge crossings, and displays the graph
as labeled nodes and edges in an X window. Sources are on
ftp.cs.washington.edu (128.95.1.4) as pub/xgrab.tar.Z. Interviews 2.6 is
required. [12/93]

daVinci is a universal, generic visualization system for generating
high-quality drawings of directed graphs. Besides a novel automatic layout
algorithm for graphs, many interactive features such as fine-tuning of a
layout, abstractions and scaling operations are provided. A bidirectional
application interface is implemented for tool communication with arbitrary
programs. daVinci is available for Sun's and PC's with Linux from
ftp.uni-bremen.de in /pub/graphics/daVinci. Version 1.4.1 is current [12/94].

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  91)  Where can I get an X-based spreadsheet?

A version of "sc" for X and which supports Lotus files is available from
vernam.cs.uwm.edu in /pub/soft-eng/xspread3.1.1.tar.Z [3/95]. It also includes
graphing functions.  Information: [email-masked].

The GNU package OLEO is available in prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/oleo-1.6.tar.Z;
it can generate PostScript renditions of spreadsheets.

Also:

Several of the below are part of integrated office-productivity tools which may
also include word-processing, email, conferencing, image processing, and 
drawing/painting, among other features.

Vendor                        Product    Contact Information 
------                        -------    -------------------
Access Technology             20/20      508-655-9191
Informix                      WingZ      800-331-1763
Quality Software Products     Q-Calc/eXclaim    800-628-3999 (CA:213-410-0303) 
Unipress                      Q-Calc     201-985-8000
Uniplex                       Uniplex    214-717-0068, 800-356-8063
Digital			      DECdecision   1-800-DIGITAL
Applix			      Applixware 508-870-0300, 1-800-8APPLIX.
AIS			      XESS	 919-942-7801, [email-masked]
BBN Software Products         BBN/Slate  617-873-5000 [email-masked]
Elsid Software Systems	      Ripcam	 613-228-9468
Andrew Consortium	      table	 [email-masked]

SAS by the SAS Institute now has a spreadsheet module; the X version is
available on the current popular RISC platforms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  92)  Where can I get X-based project-management software?

Vendor                        	Product		Contact Information 
------				-------		-------------------
Productivity Solutions		Ultra Planner	617-237-1600
Quality Software Products 	MasterPlan Version, 310-410-0303 [email-masked]
Digital Tools, Inc.		AutoPLAN	408-366-6920, 800-755-0065
NASA				COMPASS		404-542-3265,
						[email-masked]
GEC-Marconi Software Systems	GECOMO Plus	703-648-1551
GEC-Marconi Software Systems	SIZE Plus	703-648-1551
TEI, Inc			VUE		408-985-7100
Mantix				Cascade		703-506-8833
Advanced Management Solutions	Schedule Publisher	800-397-6829
Auburn University		??		??
Computer Associates		SuperProject
??				Xopps		devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
ACCENT				GraphicVUE	[email-masked]

[thanks to Pete Phillips; 7/92]
[thanks to Atul Chhabra ([email-masked]); 10/92]

Pete Phillips ([email-masked]) posts to comp.sources.wanted a    
FAQ on project-management programs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  93)  Where can I get an X-based PostScript previewer?

Ghostscript is distributed by the Free Software Foundation and includes a
PostScript interpreter and a library of graphics primitives.  Version
2.6.1(.4) is now available; the major site is prep.ai.mit.edu, although
ftp.cs.wisc.edu is also recommended. [6/93] Version 3.0 will include a full
implementation of PostScript Level 2.

GSPreview (by the Computing Laboratory of the University of Kent at
Canterbury) is an X user interface (WCL-based) to the Ghostscript 2.4-2.6
interpreter.  The source is available for anonymous ftp from ftp.x.org as
gspreview.2.4.tar.Z [9/94] or from
ftp://unix.hensa.ac.uk/misc/unix/gspreview/gspreview.2.4.tar.Z.

GhostView (by Tim Theisen, [email-masked]) is full-function user interface
for GhostScript. Check ftp.cs.wisc.edu or prep.ai.mit.edu for
/pub/ghostview-1.5.tar.Z [7/93]. There are also several executables available
on ftp.cs.wisc.edu:/pub/X/ghostview-exe for various architectures.

XPsView (by Francois Bourdoncle, [email-masked]) is a Motif wrapper
around PsView, which is a X11 DSC Document viewer that can use both XDPS and
GhostScript as the interpreter engine. An early version was an the Alpha
Freeware CD. More recent versions, which include batch translation of
PostScript files into PPM files, are on gatekeeper.dec.com in
/pub/DEC/PRL/psview-1.41.tar.Z.

Also:

ScriptWorks is Harlequin's software package for previewing and printing
PostScript(R) descriptions of text and graphics images; previewers for X are
available. For information call +44-223-872522 or send email to
[email-masked].

Image Network's Xps supports the full PostScript language and renders in
color, grayscale, or monochrome. Fonts displayed are anti-aliased. Info:
Image Network, +1 415 967 0542.

Digital's dxpsview runs on UWS 2.1 and 2.2.

Sun's pageview runs with the X11/NeWS server. 

Showpage, the PostScript previewer from Adobe Systems, is available from ICS
as part of the Display PostScript System for Sun Solaris 1 (SunOS).  More
information is available from ICS at [email-masked], or +1 617 621 0060, or Fax
at +1 617 621 9555, http://www.ics.com.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  94)  Where can I get an X-based GKS package?

The latest freely-available XGKS can be obtained from
[email-masked]; this is a 2c implementation derived from the
X11R4 contrib XGKS from IBM and the University of Illinois. The release is on
unidata.ucar.edu [128.117.140.3] as pub/xgks.tar.Z. [12/90]

In addition, Grafpak-GKS is available from Advanced Technology Center
(714-583-9119).

GKSUL is available from [email-masked] (ULowell CS department). It is a 2b
implementation which includes drivers for a variety of devices. It can be
passed an X window ID to use. The package includes both C and Fortran
bindings.

[11/90; from [email-masked] and from [email-masked]]

An XgksWidget is produced by Neil Bowers ([email-masked];
[email-masked]); the latest [10/91] conforms with the new version of
XGKS (2.4). It is available on ftp.x.org in R5contrib/xgks-widget.tar.Z.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  95)! Where can I get an X-based GL package?

Ygl 2.8 (by Fred Hucht, [email-masked]) emulates most of the two
dimensional drawing routines and the window, queue, color (cmap/RGB) stuff,
doublebuffering and more. Ygl is available from ftp.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE
(134.91.141.1), as pub/source/X11/Ygl.tar.gz. [Version 2.9.5 current as of
7/95]. For more information see
http://www.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/Ygl/ReadMe.html.

Certain vendors (SGI, IBM) are offering a GL package for X.

VOGL/VOGLE from gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au: /pub/vogle.tar.{Z.gz} and
pub/vogl.tar.{Z.gz} handle 3D drawing operations.  VOGL is closer to GL than
VOGLE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  96)  Where can I get an X-based PEX package?

The first official release of PEX is with X11R5; fix-22 brings the Sample
Implementation server to version 5.1.

The PEX 5.2 Protocol specification is now available via anonymous ftp to
ftp.x.org, in the directory /pub/DOCS/PEX/. [8/94]

There is now available from the University of Illinois an implementation of
the PEX 4.0 specification called UIPEX. It contains a "near- complete"
implementation of PHiGS and PHiGS PLUS. The file pub/uipex/uipex.tar.Z is on
a.cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1); the porting platform was an RT running 4.3.
Questions and comments can to go [email-masked].

In addition, the PEXt toolkit by Rich Thomson ([email-masked]) is
available on ftp.x.org as PEXt.tar.Z; it includes a PEX widget making it
easier to include PEX in Xt-based programs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  97)  Where can I get an X-based TeX or DVI previewer?

	The xtex previewer for TeX files is available from a number of archive 
sites, including uunet; the current version is usually on ftp.cs.colorado.edu
(128.138.204.31) in SeeTeX-2.18.5.tar.Z; pre-converted fonts are also on that 
machine. The distribution all includes "mftobdf" which converts PK, GF, and PXL
fonts to BDF format, where they can then be compiled for use by your local X
server. 
	The xdvi dvi-previewer is fairly comprehensive and easy to use. It is 
also available from a number of sites, including uunet and ftp.x.org; current 
version is patchlevel 16 [12/92].

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  98)  Where can I get an X-based troff previewer?

xditview, a previewer for device-independent troff, is in contrib in X11R6;
it was a supported client in X11R5 and X11R4. X11R4 also offers the
contributed xtroff; an earlier version of xtroff also appeared on the R3
contributed source.

In addition, the xman client can be used to preview troff documents which use
the -man macros (i.e. man pages).

If psroff is used its output can be viewed with a PostScript previewer.

Groff, a C++-based [tn]roff document formatter from the Free Software
Foundation, includes an X-based document previwer based probably on
xditview.  Groff can put out both dvi and PostScript, so xdvi or GhostView
can be used to preview formatted documents.

In addition:

xproof, an X previewer for ditroff has been contributed by Marvin Solomon
([email-masked]); version 3.5 is available on ftp.x.org in
R5contrib/xproof*. [8/90]

Elan Computer Group (CA: 415-964-2200) produces eroff, a modified troff
implementation, and Elan/Express, an X11 eroff previewer.

SoftQuad (416-239-4801, USA only 800-387-2777; [email-masked]) offers SoftQuad
Publishing Software, including a substantially- rewritten troff formatter, a
better intermediate language with backwards compatibility, and an X11[R3,R4]
previewer. (This is the package adopted by AT&T's own MIS department, and
used in and re-sold by many parts of AT&T).  [information from Ian Darwin,
SoftQuad ([email-masked]) 3/90]

Image Network (1-800-TOXROFF; CA: 415-967-0542) offers the Xroff package,
which includes a fine modified troff implementation and a set of X11-based
page previewers. (This is the package OEM'ed by several hardware vendors.)

[mostly courtesy [email-masked] (Mark Moraes)] [2/90]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject:  99)! Where can I get a WYSIWYG interface builder (or other shortcuts)?

A release of the DIRT interface builder by Richard Hesketh works with X11R5
and includes some support for the Motif widget set. It generates WCL-1.1
code. DIRT is known to be outdated. It is available through comp.sources.x
archives.

The InterViews 3.0.1 C++ toolkit contains a WYSIWIG interface builder called
ibuild. ibuild generates code for an InterViews application complete with
Imakefile and an X-resource file. Documentation is /pub/papers/ibuild.ps on
interviews.stanford.edu (36.22.0.175).

Quest Windows's (408-496-1900) ObjectViews C++ package includes an
interactive building tool.

Druid (Demonstrational Rapid User Interface Development) runs on SPARC
machines using OSF/Motif 1.0; it is intended eventually to be a full UIMS but
apparently now has only support for creating the presentation components, for
which it generates C/UIL code. Info: Singh G, Kok CH, Ngan TY, "Druid: A
System for Demonstrational Rapid User Interface Development". Proc. ACM
SIGGRAPH Symp on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST'90). ACM, NY,
1990, pp:167-177.

The XF builder (version 2.3.n) is a TCL/Tk builder; versions are on
harbor.ecn.purdue.edu. You may subscribe to a mailing list by sending "sub
xf-l <Your name>" to [email-masked].

There are several TCL/TK tools which act as interface builders; see the
comp.lang.tcl FAQ for details.

ADEW in the Andrew User Interface System supports WYSIWYG user interface
construction with the full selection of AUIS insets, including text, rasters,
tables, and the usual interactors.  Semantics can be coded in C or in Ness,
the AUIS extension language.

Camel, a generic IDT for Xt widget sets, is available from
[email-masked].

Also:

In addition, these commercial products (unsorted) are available in final or
prerelease form [the * following the product name indicates that the product
is known to allow the designer to specify for each widget whether a
particular resource is hard-coded or written to an application defaults file,
for at least one form of output]. Some are much more than user-interface
tools; some are full user interface management systems; information on most
is not up-to-date:

Product Name		Look/Feel	Code Output		Vendor

HP Interface		Motif 1.1	C(Xm)			HP/Visual Edge
 Architect/ UIMX	
OPEN LOOK Express	OPEN LOOK	C(Xol+ helper lib)	AT&T /
								Visual Edge
UIMX 2.0 *		Motif 1.1	C(Xm + helper code)	Visual Edge
								514-332-6430
								& distributors
X-Designer 3.2 *	Motif 1.2	C(Xm); C/UIL; C++	Imperial
								Software
								Technology, Ltd
							      (+44 734 587055)
								[email-masked]
							        US:413-586-4144
XFaceMaker2 (XFM2) * 	Motif 1.0	C;C/script (C-like procedural 
					language);C/UIL
					 			NSL 
							(33 1 43 36 77 50)
							[email-masked]
Builder Xcessory 3.5 *	Motif 1.2	C(Xm); C/UIL[r/w]	ICS 
					Ada; and reads GIL	(617-621-0060)
								[email-masked]
							http://www.ics.com
Builder Xcessory 2.6 *	Motif 1.1	C(Xm); C/UIL[r/w]	DEC
					[VMS; OSF/1]		(1-800-DIGITAL)
iXBUILD			Motif 1.1	C(Xm); C/UIL		iXOS Software
								[email-masked]
								089/461005-69
TeleUSE 2.1 *		Motif 1.1.5	C(Xm); C/UIL[r/w]	Alsys(TeleSoft)
								(619-457-2700)
							[email-masked]
							in Germany: in GmbH,
							+49 7531 65022, 
							[email-masked]
ezX 3.2			Motif 1.1	C(Xm +helper lib);C/UIL;Ada
								Sunrise
								(401-847-7868)
							       [email-masked]
Snapix			Motif		C/Xm			ADNT
								+33 1 3956 5333
OpenWindows Developers	OPEN LOOK 	GIL [-> C/XView]	Sun
Guide 3.0				GIL [-> C++/XView]
					GIL [-> C/OLIT]
					GIL [-> C/PostScript for TNT]
ExoCode/SXM		Motif		C(Xm)			Expert Object
ExoCode/Plus		OPEN LOOK	XView			708-676-5555
TAE Plus v5.3		Motif 1.2;	C, C++ , Ada 	Century Computing
			Dynamic 			[email-masked]
			Data Objects			1-800-823-3228
							http://www.cen.com/
MOB, XSculptor		Motif; OpenLook	C/Xm,UIL; C/Xol		Kovi
								408-982-3840
PSM			PM, MSW 3.0,	C/UIL			Lancorp
			Motif 1.1.2,Mac				Pty Ltd.
								+61 3 629 4833
								Fax:  629 1296
								(Australia)
MOTIFATION *		Motif 1.1.x|1.2	C(Xm)			PEM Stuttgart
						       +49 (0) 0711/713045
						       +49 (0) 0711/713047 fax
							[email-masked]
UIB			Open Look/Motif	C++(OI)			ParcPlace 
								+1 303-678-4626
ILOG BUILDER		Motif					ILOG
								1 415 390 9000
								[email-masked]
XVT-Design		Motif,OL,Windows,&c			XVT
								303-443-4223
								[email-masked]
Mimex			Motif 1.2	C(Xm); C/UIL[r/w]	Kernex
								408-441-7376
Xad			Motif 1.2				ACC,
						800-546-7274, 203-454-5500,
						[email-masked]
XVP 1.5			Motif		http://www.shsu.edu/~stdyxc05/VXP
					ftp.shsu.edu:/pub/VXP

Look for magazine reviews for more complete comparisons of meta-file formats,
documentation, real ease-of-use, etc; Unix World and Unix Review often carry
articles. See also SunExpert 5/93.

ParcPlace is making freely available its popular ObjectBuilder and Object
Interface (OI) products for the Linux operating system.  ObjectBuilder is a
GUI builder written completely in C++, that enables UNIX C++ developers to
apply the principles of object-orientation to the development of user
interfaces. OI, a C++ class library, provides the toolkit foundation for
ObjectBuilder. OI implements the look-and-feel of both Motif 1.2 and OPEN
LOOK. OI is built directly on top of Xlib and is unencumbered by runtime
royalties to any party.  ObjectBuilder and OI are very extensible, actively
facilitating the use of subclassing to create new, reusable, user interface
components.  Sources are on tsx-11.mit.edu in /pub/linux/packages/OI and
available from ParcPlace (+1 408 481 9090).

Neuron Data (1 415 321-4488) makes Open Interface, a
window-system-independent object toolkit which supports interfaces which are
or resemble (supersets of) Mac, Windows, and Motif and Open Look; the package
includes an interface builder.

The GRAMMI builder supports the development of Ada/X applications using its
own set of objects which have Motif look and feel.  GRAMMI is written in Ada
and generates Ada specs and stub bodies.  Call 1-800-877-1815 or send mail to
[email-masked] with subject "send grammi" [without quotes].

In addition, these non-WYSIWYG but related products may help for goals of
rapid prototyping of the application interface:

WCL: the Widget Creation Library. Basically describes the widget hierarchy
and actions in a resources file; available from fine archive servers
everywhere, including devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (128.149.1.143) in pub/. Wcl
provides a very thin layer over Xt without any internal tweaking. Version 2.7
is in ftp.x.org:~ftp/contrib/devel_tools/Wcl-2.7.tar.Z[gz] [12/94]. (A
tutorial on WCL is available by telnet'ing to techinfo.mit.edu and using
"search iap292".)

TCL/TK: TK is a Motif-like object set for use with the TCL scripting
language. There is also a package tclMotif on ftp.x.org which may be used to
add TCL scripting to Motif programs; version 1.4 was released 4/95.

WAFE: Wafe is a package that implements a symbolic interface to the Athena
widgets (X11R5) and OSF/Motif.  A typical Wafe application consists of two
parts: a front-end (Wafe) and an application program which runs typically as
a separate process. The application program can be implemented in an
arbitrary programming language and talks to the front-end via stdio.  Since
Wafe (the front-end) was developed using the extensible TCL shell, an
application program can dynamically submit requests to the front-end to build
up the graphical user interface; the application can also down-load
application specific procedures into the front-end, which can be executed
without interaction with the application program.  Wafe 1.0 is available from
ftp.wu-wien.ac.at:pub/src/X11/wafe/wafe-1.0.tar.gz [7/94].

XGEN: a scripting language which can be used to prototype Motif environments;
available on ftp.x.org.

WINTERP: an Xlisp-based Motif toolkit (by Niels Mayer) allows for rapid
prototyping and interpretive programming. Its interactive application
development and delivery environment features a high-level object-oriented
interface to the OSF/Motif Widgets and Xtoolkit, a high-level object-oriented
2.5D graphics/animation widget based on Xtango's path-transition animation
paradigm, and facilities for communicating with other Unix processes and
data.  WINTERP's interpreter is "serverized" so that other applications can
communicate with WINTERP-based applications via unix domain sockets, or
optionally, through internet domain sockets. WINTERP's built-in interpreter
is based on XLISP-PLUS, which is a small, fast, portable, C-implemented
interpreter providing a subset of Common-Lisp functionality and a
Smalltalk-inspired object system.  A major new release, WINTERP 2.03, is on
the X11R6 contrib tapes; version 2.03 [7/94] is on ftp.x.org in
contrib/devel_tools/. Info:  [email-masked]. See also
http://www.eit.com/software/winterp/winterp.html

IXI Visual TCL extends Tcl 7.3 to support OSF/Motif 1.2. Available from
ftp.sco.com:~/TLS/tls074.* or //www.sco.com/Products/vtcl/vtcl.html. [5/95]

The Serpent UIMS permits the building of user-interfaces without specific
knowledge of coding but with an understanding of attributes being set on a
particular [Motif] widget.  Beta Release 1.2 is available from
ftp.sei.cmu.edu (128.237.1.13) and can be found in /pub/serpent.  Serpent is
also available on ftp.x.org (18.24.0.11) in /R5contrib/serpent. Email questions
can go to [email-masked]. A commercial version of Serpent is available
as "Agora" from ASET, 221 Woodhaven Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15228.

Garnet is a Common Lisp-based GUI toolkit. Information is available from
[email-masked].

MetaCard is a hypertext/Rapid Application Development environment similar to
Apple/Claris Corporation's HyperCard ([email-masked]). MetaCard is
available via anonymous FTP from ftp.metacard.com, csn.org, or
128.138.213.21. (Mailing list: [email-masked]).

XForms, at bloch.phys.uwm.edu as /pub/xforms, is a graphical user interface
toolkit and builder based on Xlib.  It includes a set of Xlib-based objects,
configurable to look like Motif, and permits interactive placement of them.
See also http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms and the mailing list available
through [email-masked].

Articles comparing these tools include:
	UnixWorld 5/92; SunWorld 12/92; LAN Computing 12/92; SunExpert 5/93.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

David B. Lewis 					[email-masked]

		"Just the FAQs, ma'am." -- Joe Friday