Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Undergrads


FAQ for Prospective Undergraduate Students

Does the Physics Department accept AP credit?

For a score of 5 on both parts of the Physics C test, credit will be given for 12 units of subject 8.01, Physics I. You may begin immediately with subject 8.02 or 8.022 (Physics II). If you elect to take and pass 8.012 (advanced version of 8.01), the 12 units of 8.01 credit earned for the Physics C test convert to 6 general elective units. No credit will be given for the Physics B test.

Back to Top

Does the Physics Department grant credit for the International Baccalaureate or G.C.E. "A" Level Exams?

International Baccalaureate Exams

Entering students who have taken the G.C.E. "A" level examinations in the British System, the French or International Baccalaureate (higher level) examinations, the German Abitur, or similar tests may submit copies of the syllabi and an official report of the grades earned to the Undergraduate Admissions Office for evaluation for credit. For a score of a 7, credit will be given for 12 units of subject 8.01, Physics I.

G.C.E. "A" Level Credit

MIT recognizes the G.C.E. "A" Level exams. For a grade of an "A," credit will be given for 12 units of subject 8.01, Physics I. An official report of the grades earned must be submitted to the Undergraduate Admissions Office for evaluation of credit. Please note that policy can change from year to year.

Back to Top

How can I receive Physics transfer credit?

Requests for all other Physics credit can be submitted to the Transfer Credit Officer. Please review the Physics Department's Transfer Credit Policy prior to submission.

Back to Top

When are the Advanced Standing/Validation Exams offered?

The Physics Advanced Standing/Validation Exams are offered twice each year during the week prior to the start of each semester. Please visit our information page for the next dates of these exams.

Back to Top

What topics are covered on the 8.01 and 8.02 Advanced Standing Exams?

Please reference our Advanced Standing information page.

Back to Top

Do I have to pass 8.01 before I take 8.02?

All students must receive passing credit for 8.01 before registering for any version of 8.02. The sole exception to this policy is for second-semester seniors who have not yet completed either 8.01 or 8.02.

A senior who needs to complete both 8.01 and 8.02 in the final term should contact the Academic Administrator, Catherine Modica.

Back to Top

I registered for 8.012 but did not get in because of the lottery. What do I do now?

As openings occur, students from the wait list will be contacted via email.

Back to Top

Does class year (i.e., Sophomore, Junior, Senior) carry any weight in the 8.012 lottery?

For Fall 2009 enrollment, sophomores, juniors, or seniors who pre-register for 8.012 are guaranteed enrollment. The lottery process for first year students will be based on the results of the math diagnostic exam which is offered during Orientation.

Back to Top

Can I switch between the various versions of 8.01 or 8.02?

Students can switch between 8.01, and 8.012 or 8.02 and 8.022 within the guidelines of the institute's published Add Date each term. Students are unable to switch after Add Date.

Students desiring to switch into 8.01L can add their name to the appropriate wait list by visiting Academic Programs, 4-315 beginning at 10:00 AM on the first day of class.

Back to Top