Bazant Research Group, August 2010.
Front: Daosheng Deng, Linda Mousseau, Yeqing Fu;
Back: Mathias Andersen, Xiaochuan Yang, Matthew Pinson, Ben Derrett, Todd Ferguson, Martin Bazant, Peng Bai, Henrik Bruus.
Absent: Boris Zaltzman, Dan Cogswell, Markus Schmuck, Joseph Atnafu.
- William Braff (Mechanical Engineering)
- Todd Ferguson (Chemical Engineering)
- Yeqing Fu (Chemical Engineering)
- Edwin Khoo (Chemical Engineering)
- Evan Piephoff (Chemical Engineering)
- Matthew Pinson (Physics)
- Carlos Sauer (Mathematics)
- Sven Schlumpberger (Chemical Engineering)
- Raymond Smith (Chemical Engineering)
- Juhyun Song (Chemical Engineering)
- Yi Zeng (Mathematics)
- Peng Bai
- Daosheng Deng
- Ji-Hyung Han
- Elaine McVay
Visiting Graduate Student
- Ianis Bernard
- Linda Mousseau
- Jaehyuk Choi. Ph.D. in Applied
Mathematics, MIT (2005). Thesis: Advection-Diffusion-Limited Aggregation
and Dense Granular Flow.
- Kevin T. Chu Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, MIT
(2005). Thesis: Asymptotic Analysis of Extreme Electrochemical
Transport. Next: Postdoc in mechanical engineering at Princeton University.
- Jeremy A. Levitan. Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, MIT (2005).
Thesis: Experimental Investigation of Induced-Charge
Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, MIT (2007).
Thesis: Multiscale modeling of granular flow. Next: Postdoc in
University of California, Berkeley.
- Kenneth N. Kamrin
Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, MIT (2008). Thesis:
Stochastic and deterministic models for dense granular flow. Next:
Lecturer in applied mathematics at Harvard University, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, MIT (2010).
- Mustafa Sabri Kilic
Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, MIT (2008). Thesis: Induced-charge electrokinetics at large voltages.
- Damian Burch
Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, MIT (2009). Thesis:
Intercalation Dynamics in Li-ion Batteries.
- Birger Horstmann (2012, coadvised by Y. Shao-Horn) Phase-field modeling of Li-air batteries.
- Dan Cogswell. (2010-2012) Phase-field modeling of Li-ion batteries.
- Ali Mani. (2011) Nonlinear electrokinetics, desalination shocks. Next: Stanford, mechanical engineering.
- Markus Schmuck. (2009-2011) Homogenization analysis of ion transport in porous media. Next: Imperial College London.
- Chien-Chih Huang . (2007-2009)
Induced-charge electro-osmosis, microfluidic
Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies. (Co-advised by Prof. T.
Thorsen, Mechanical Enginering.)
- Jeremy Levitan (2007).
Applications of nonlinear electrokinetics in
Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies.
- Gogi Singh (2006-2007). Modeling lithium
rechargeable batteries. Center for Materials Science
and Engineering (IRG IV).
- Yuxing Ben
Simulation and design of ICEO-based microfluidic devices.
- Ken Gosier . M.S. in Financial Mathematics, Courant
Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University (2002). Thesis:
Generalized Black-Scholes models for pricing and hedging
options with residual risk.
- Young Han Lee. M.S. in Applied Mathematics, MIT (2002). Thesis:
Noise detection in financial correlation matrices.
- Joseph Atnafu. (2010) Desalination experiments.
- Ben Derrett. Cambridge-MIT exchange student. Li-ion battery modeling. (2009-2010)
- Matt Fishburn B. S. in Electrical Engineering, MIT (2007).
Advanced Undergraduate Project: Electronics for control of portable
- Jakub Kominiarcz
B. S. in Physics, MIT (2007). Senior thesis: Numerical simulations of
AC electro-osmotic pumps.
- Camilo Guaqueta. B. S. in Materials Science, MIT (2003).
Thesis: Computer simulations of a stochastic model for granular
- Mani Mahjouri. B.S. in Mathematics and Economics, MIT (2000).
Thesis: Pricing risky derivative
- Wassim Aouad. Desalination experiments, intern from Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal 2012.
- Michael Hess. Undergraduate intern, from Magdeburg, Germany, spring/summer 2009. Modeling lithium intercalation in graphite.
- Hoyin Au. Undergraduate intern, from Bunker Hill Community College, summer 2009. Modeling Li-ion battery composite electrodes.
- Brian Wheeler UROP 2007. Applications of ACEO pumps.
- Kapil Subramanian Undergraduate intern, summer 2007, from Indian Institute of
Technology. ACEO experiments (with T. Thorsen).
- Andrew Jones UROP spring 2007. ACEO experiments (with T.
- Jeremie Palacci. Undergraduate intern, summer 2005.
Visiting from Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon. Thesis:
Spot-model simulations of periodic systems.
- Serginio Sylvain. UROP, Dry Fluids Lab, 2005.
- Ken Weaver. Undergraduate intern in the MIT Materials Processing Center,
Simulations of granular drainage.
- Armand Ajdari. ESPCI, Paris, France. 2005-2006.
- Henrik Bruus. Technical University of Denmark, Microtechnology. Fall 2010.
- Evgeny Demekhin. Kuban State Univ., Russia. Fall 2010.
- Arshad Kudrolli. Clark University, Physics. 2003-2007.
- Brian Storey. Olin College, Mechanical Engineering.
- Boris Zaltzman. Ben-Gurion University, Israel, Applied Mathematics, 2009-2010.
Ph.D. student visitors
- Mathias Andersen. Ph.D. student from Technical University of Denmark. Desalination simulation. 2011.
- Costas Anastassiou. Imperial
College Department of Bioengineering. summer 2006, Theory of electrochemical sensors.
- Peng Bai. Ph.D. student from Tsinghua Univ., automotive engineering. Li-ion battery modeling. 2009-2011
- Raul Rica. Univ. de Granada, Spain, physics dept. 2009. Electrodiffusiophoresis.
Group dinner, June 26, 2007: Gogi Singh, Yee Lok Wong, Ken Kamrin, MZB,
Chris Rycroft, Kapil Subramanian
The group, led by Dr. Rycroft,
dancing to soul music on the Blues Barge.
Candlelin bowling, June 2005
(clockwise from top left):
Jean-Christophe Nave, Jeremy Levitan, Jeremie Palacci, Kevin Chu, Ken Karmin,
Yuxing Ben, Jaehyuk Choi, Chris Rycroft, and
Group dinner, Dec. 2003 (clockwise from center left):
Jeremy Levitan, Chris Rycroft, Jaehyuk Choi, Ruben Rosales,
Dionisios Margetis, and MZB.
Ken and Chris disco dancing ("shootin' the floor") 2007.
Graduate student lunch, October 2006.
Kenny Karmin, MZB,
Sabri Kilic, Damian Burch, and Chris Rycroft.
Back to the top