Electrochemical Energy Systems
My research is at the intersection of engineering, physics, and mathematics,
motivated by societal needs in energy, the environment and sustainability. Meeting these needs will require scientific advances that, I believe, will not
be achieved by experiment or simulations alone,
but by a close integration of the two with
mathematical theories and approximations.
My group combines theory and experiment
with members from
chemical engineering, as well as applied mathematics,
mechanical engineering, physics, and materials science.
Our research spans
electrochemistry, transport phenomena, energy storage, water purification, and nanotechnology.
- Nuclear Options,
Water Environment and Technology, April 2020.
- Why cement paste sticks, Fronteirs in Energy Research, Winter 2020.
- A new way to remove contaminants from nuclear wastewater, MIT News, Dec. 19, 2019.
Multi-university effort will advance materials, define the future of mobility
, MIT News, April 3, 2017.
In batteries, a metal reveals its dual personality, MIT News, Sept. 1, 2016.
- A nanoview of battery operation, Science, August 2016.
- Stanford-led team reveals nanoscale secrets of rechargeable batteries, Stanford News, August 2016.
- Bose Grants fund bold and innovative visions, MIT News, November, 2015.
- Shocking new way to get the salt out, MIT News, November 2015.
Study sheds light on why batteries go bad, Sceince Daily, September, 2014.
Novel bromine battery: Small-scale demo, large-scale promise, Energy Futures 4, Spring 2014.
- How electrodes charge and discharge, MIT News, April 2014.
Researchers resolve misunderstanding bout how some lithium batteries function, ClimateWire, April 2014.
- New desalination technique also cleans and disinfects water, MIT Technology Review, Feb. 11, 2014.
- Interview videos at Ser
Spurring storage, Energy Next, Nov. 2013.
Power surge for flow batteries,
Nature 500, 504-505 (29 August 2013).
New rechargeable flow battery enables cheaper, large-scale energy storage, MIT News, Aug. 2013
Rethinking Battery Design, NSF Award Highlight, 2013.
- Revealing how a battery material works, MIT News, Feb. 8, 2012.
- Fill 'er up with... lithium SIAM News, Mar. 1, 2010.
MIT Energy Fellow's model may power up the batteries of the future, MIT Energy Initiative, June 17, 2009.
`Two-faced' particles act like tiny submarines, Science News,
Mar. 3, 2008.
Big lab on a tiny chip, Scientific American,
2007, pp. 100-103.
Theoretical plumber, Popular Science, October
2007.(some follow-up articles: USA
Today, MIT News
Fast Moving Front: "Induced-charge electrokinetic
phenomena", Thompson Scientific, Sept. 2007.
MIT's "Dream Team" wins SIAM Award for MCM 07, SIAM News, June
Battery-powered lab-on-a-chip could be near, EE Times
, Nov. 27, 2006.
Portable 'lab on a chip' could speed blood tests, MIT News,
Oct. 16, 2006.
create a "fluid conveyor belt"
, ISN News, Sept. 9, 2006.
Fractal tendrils, Tech Talk, Feb. 4, 2004.
modeling and experimentation to improve microfluidics, ISN News,
Feb. 2, 2004.