Areas of Interest
Corporate Finance, Financial Intermediation, Mergers and Acquisitions, Behavioral Finance, and Corporate Governance.
- MIT Sloan School of Management: Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance (2009 - 2010).
- Case Western Reserve University: Assistant Professor of Banking & Finance (2005 - now) (on leave).
- Case Western Reserve University: Lewis-Progressive Professor of Management (2006 - 2009).
- University of Pennsylvania: Fellow of the Wharton Financial Institutions Center (2008 - now).
- University of Michigan Business School: Ph.D. in Finance (2005).
- University of Amsterdam: Ph.D.-Student in Financial Economics (1999 - 2000).
- Cornell University: M.B.A. (1993).
- University of Groningen: B.A./M.A. (Drs) in Economics and Business (Cum Laude) (1993).
"Bank Liquidity Creation" (Previously: "Bank Capital and Liquidity Creation"), 2009, Review of Financial Studies 22(9): 3779-3837. (With Allen Berger.) Our bank liquidity creation data is available in the data section.
"Market Valuation and Acquisition Quality: Empirical Evidence" (Previously: "The Performance of Stock-Price Driven Acquisitions"), 2009, Review of Financial Studies 22(2):633-679. (With Kathleen Fuller and Amrita Nain.)
"Stock market valuation and mergers", 2003, MIT/Sloan Management Review. (With Kathleen Fuller and Amrita Nain.)
"Credit risk measurement" (in Dutch), 2000, Economisch Statistische Berichten.
"Management turnover and corporate performance - The Netherlands in international perspective" (in Dutch), 1999, Maandblad voor Accountancy en Bedrijfseconomie. (With Pieter Van Oijen.) (First prize - essay contest among Ph.D.-students in Business.)
"The Geography of Executive Compensation." November 2009.
"Corporate Governance Propagation through Overlapping Directors." December 2009. Third round at the Review of Financial Studies.
"Director Overlap and Firm Financial Policies." Coming soon! (With Yuhai Xuan.)
"Liquidity, Leverage, and Financing Source Choices of Young Public Firms and their Impact on Survival." Coming soon! (With Michelle Lowry.)
"Managerial Optimism and the Market's Reaction to Dividend Changes." September 2009.
"Managerial Optimism and Earnings Smoothing." November 2009.
"Bank Liquidity Creation, Monetary Policy, and Financial Crises." (Significantly expanded version of the first part of: "Financial Crises and Bank Liquidity Creation"), February 2010. (With Allen Berger.)
"Bank Capital, Survival, and Performance around Financial Crises." (Significantly expanded version of the second part of: "Financial Crises and Bank Liquidity Creation"), August 2009. (With Allen Berger.) Third round at the Review of Financial Studies.
"Bank Capital, Monitoring and Bank Performance." January 2009.
"Regulatory Intervention, Market Discipline, and Bank Liquidity Creation during Distress." Coming soon! (With Allen Berger, Thomas Kick, and Klaus Schaeck.)
"Bank Liquidity Creation and Economic Growth around the World." (With Allen Berger and Iftekhar Hasan.)
Professional Experience - Teaching
- Case Western Reserve University:
Financial Modeling / Valuation (MBA level) (2005 – now). Evaluation 4.61/5.00.
Financial Modeling / Valuation (BBA II level) (2005 – now). Evaluation 4.74/5.00.
Corporate Finance (BBA I level) (2005 – now). Evaluation 4.47/5.00.
Finalist for Undergraduate Business Teaching Award (2007 - 2008).
Nominated for MBA Teaching Excellence Award (2007 - 2008).
Nominated for Undergraduate Business Teaching Award (2006 - 2007).
- University of Michigan Business School:
Corporate Financial Policy (BBA II level) (2002). Evaluation: 4.61/5.00.
- University of Amsterdam: Corporate Finance (BBA II level) (2000).
Professional Experience - Other
- Federal Reserve Board (Summer 2004 and multiple visits Fall 2004 - now).
- U.S. Department of Justice: Litigative Consultant on five litigation cases (2001 - 2003).
- ABN AMRO Bank: Capital Structure; Project Finance; and Venture Capital (1994 - 1999).
- Procter & Gamble (Summer 1992).