Athletics and Recreation
MIT's Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation Department offers opportunities for sports instruction and participation at all levels.
- With 33 varsity sports, MIT supports one of the broadest intercollegiate athletic programs in the world.
- There are 16 varsity sports for men, 15 for women, and two coeducational programs.
- Approximately 20 percent of undergraduates join a team during their time at MIT.
- MIT competes mainly against Division III New England colleges, but also routinely participates in regional and national championships.
- The Institute has earned 220 Academic All-America citations, the most for any Division III program in the nation.
- The intramural program offers competition in 18 sports with 4,000 students, faculty, alumni, spouses, and partners participating.
- MIT features one of the nation's most expansive club programs, with more than 800 participants and 33 teams.
- For those who wish to engage in other recreational programs, MIT provides group exercise and mind and body classes, personal and group training, a variety of aquatic classes, and sport skill instruction.