Who Takes IAP For-Credit
IAP Credit Policy
Important Credit Registration
Finding Subjects in the
Also see the following pages:
2011 Dates to Remember
PARTICIPATING IN FOR-CREDIT SUBJECTS
Most MIT academic departments offer IAP subjects for academic credit.
The information on this page is geared to MIT students, and covers
participation eligibility, IAP credit policies, important credit
registration dates, and instructions on reviewing subject descriptions
listed in the online IAP Guide.
Who Takes IAP For-Credit Subjects?
- Full-time regular students who are charged full tuition in either the fall or spring terms may take IAP subjects for no additional tuition charge. Students
do not have to take subjects to retain their student status between
fall and spring terms.
- New graduate students and undergraduate transfer students who
have been admitted for spring term, as well as returning students
who will be registered full-time in the spring, are eligible to
take IAP subjects. They should contact the Registrar's Office,
x8-6409, so that they may pre-register for IAP.
IAP Credit Policy
- All students are limited to 12 units of credit during IAP.
- Only students registered in the fall or spring terms of the
academic year may receive IAP credit.
- The number of credit units awarded for each subject and the
grading policy are specified in the subject listing.
- Many subjects for credit are offered as "special topics."
In these cases, official descriptions may be obtained from the
faculty members teaching the subjects.
- Credit received by freshmen is not counted toward fall or spring
semester credit limits.
- Certain deadlines apply for IAP credit registration. For complete
information, see the IAP
2011 Dates to Remember page.
- Students who are not paying full tuition in either the fall
or spring term are subject to additional tuition charges and should
consult the Registrar's
Office, MIT Room 5-119, ext. 8-6409.
- Special students (students enrolled who are undertaking certain
studies but are not candidates for degrees) should consult the
section of the MIT
Bulletin for information on eligibility.
back to top
Important Credit Registration Dates
- Wednesday, December 1, 2010. Starting on this date, all continuing
students taking non-lotteried credit subjects must pre-register
- Thursday, January 13, 2011. The pre-registration system will
stay open through the end of this day so that students may update
the information in WebSIS to reflect added and dropped IAP subjects.
After 5PM on this date, IAP pre-registration will be closed so
that grade sheets can be prepared.
For complete IAP dates and deadlines information, please refer
to the IAP 2011 Dates to
Finding Subjects in the On-line IAP Guide
- Subjects (taken for credit) are organized according to academic
department number and then by subject number (e.g. Course 1, 1.01,
1.02). To browse available For-Credit
Subjects , go to the
IAP 2011 Offerings page.
- You may search on IAP subjects and activities, as well as IAP general
information, by referring to the Search
the IAP 2011 Guide page.
back to top