Each sentence describes a “crime” for which its perpetrator was
beheaded. Appropriately, every word in the sentence has itself been
“beheaded” by having the first letter removed.
The unaltered descriptions, with their answers, are:
- Sheltered a Christian priest = Saint ALBAN
- Killed his party guest with a piece of birch firewood = Tahvo PUTKONEN
- Turned people to stone = MEDUSA
- Sold adulterated tobacco = Antoine LAVOISIER
- Tried to kill a crew member with a magazine = ASH (android from Alien)
- Distributed anti-war leaflets with his sister Sophie = Hans SCHOLL
- Rebuked Herod for marrying Herodias = JOHN THE BAPTIST
- Committed treason by naming Stannis as heir = Eddard STARK
- Was about to destroy Bethulia = HOLOFERNES
- Was posthumously convicted of the regicide that made him Lord Protector = Oliver CROMWELL
- Led peasant uprising of 1525 = Thomas MÜNTZER
- As a monk, opposed Ieyasu in 1600 = Ankokuji EKEI
- Fought Mace Windu in the Battle of Geonosis = Jango FETT
The answer names must themselves be beheaded to acrostically spell out LUE
ASCOT OR UKE, which is itself a beheaded clue: BLUE MASCOT FOR
DUKE. Duke’s mascot is the Blue DEVIL.
Beheading DEVIL gives the answer: EVIL.