The Roles Database Application:
Macintosh: Open the Roles1.0 folder on your hard drive and select the application icon.
Result: A "splash" screen displays the version number of the application and a subset of the documentation you are now reading.
Result: The "Authorization List" screen appears and you can begin your Roles session.
The Roles Database application has four main screens:
Screen Name Keyboard Combination Icon button Authorization List ctl-shift-A A Function List ctl-shift-F F Qualifier List ctl-shift-Q Q Person List ctl-shift-P P
From these screens you can browse information from the database by Authorizations, Functions, Qualifiers, and Persons, respectively. You can access each of these main screens in three ways: from the View menu, from the keyboard using the key mappings shown above, and from the icon buttons in the icon bar.
The first screen is the Authorization List screen. The next section explains the various parts of the Roles Database application screens.
All of the main screens have the following areas:
- At the top of the screen is the Title bar with the name of the Application.
- Below the Title bar is the Menu bar. Commands in the drop down menus let you view the various types of lists in the Database and perform tasks such as duplicating and deleting. Most of the items listed in the menus have keyboard mappings, and many of them are duplicated in icons or buttons, giving you more than one way of doing the same thing.
- Below the menu bar is the Icon bar. Pass your cursor over each icon to see an explanation of what each icon does.
Note: You can change the look of a window from the View menu. Particularly, you cam either show or hide the Selection Criteria by toggling on and off Show Selection Criteria (CTRL+E). When off, all the criteria information (5, 6, and 7 below) is hidden and the lower box expands to fill the screen.
- The Window name indicates whether you are looking at a list of Authorizations, Functions, Qualifiers, or Persons.
- The Selection drop down menu shows a list of "Selection Sets" associated with the window. Each Selection Set is a set of criteria for defining the Authorizations, Functions, Qualifiers, or Persons you want to display in the lower half of the screen (8).
- The scrollable list of criteria is associated with the Selection Set. Each criterion is a filter for Authorizations, Functions, Qualifiers, or Persons.
Some criteria are "locked", i.e., they cannot be disabled or changed. However, you can enable or disable most criteria by clicking the check box at the left. You can modify criteria by changing the "Value" field.
To see the changed criteria on your display, click the Refresh button (or use the equivalent menu item or icon).
Selection Sets and Criteria are powerful features of the Roles Application. They let you display quickly the subset of items you want to see. They are explained in detail in the next section of this document.
- The three buttons associated with Selection Sets and Criteria are:
- The Set As Default. button sets a default Selection Set to be used whenever you first enter one of the four main list screens. For more information on setting defaults, see the next section "Using Selection Sets and Criteria".
- The List Values button becomes active when you click in one of the "null" Value fields. Clicking on the activated button takes you to a new screen where you can pick a value for the null value field.
- The Save Criteria button lets you save a copy of your modified criteria for a given Selection Set. You can save your own sets of criteria.
- The bottom half of the screen is where the selected Authorizations are displayed.
- On the right of the screen are up to seven buttons:
Button Description Refresh Refreshes the screen after you have changed Selection Set or Criteria, or after you have added, deleted, or modified objects displayed in the main window. New (Authorization List and Function List only) Allows authorized users to create new Authorizations or Functions. Delete (Authorization List and Function List only) Allows authorized users to delete selected Authorizations or Functions. Detail Allows you to see more details for selected items. Pick (Function List, Qualifier List and Person List screens) Under some circumstances, you can use this button to pick a Function, Qualifier, or Person to be used in a new or updated Authorizations, or to be used in a selection criterion. Prints the list of authorizations. Close Closes the current screen.