This is a first draft of the glossary of terms. More
terms and definitions will be added here as the project
- ACD: Automatic Call Distribution
- An automated system that duplicates the functionality of
a traditional receptionist with respect to incoming
- The international public telecommunication numbering
- A two-phase FCC program to require wireless carriers to
provide PSAPs with the physical location of a 911
- Hard phone
- A physical IP telephone.
- Integrated communications
- Voice, instant messaging, video and other media in the
context of presence.
- PSAP: Public Safety Answering
- Where 911 calls are routed.
- SIMPLE: SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence
- The IETF working group that develops extensions to SIP
to support instant messaging and presence.
- SIP: Session Initial Protocol
- The IETF signaling standard for creating, modifying, and
terminating real-time multimedia sessions with one or
- Soft phone
- Software-only implementation of an IP telephone.
- UA: SIP User Agent
- Could be a phone (hard or soft) or a logical component
of a middlebox.
- URI: Uniform Resource Identifier
- A compact string of characters for identifying an
abstract or physical resource, e.g.,
- VoIP: Voice over IP
- The technologies, systems, and services that transport
human voice over the internet protocol (IP).