Left Pix: (L-R) Associate Professor Jerry Chan, SMART co-Investigator; Dr Zhiyong Poon, SMART Research Scientist and Dr Jacky Lee, former SMART Postdoctoral Associate, with the microfluidics cell sorting device that isolates Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs) for bone and muscle therapeutic applications. This device can reduce the analysis and decision-making process from 1 - 2 months to less than 3 days. Right Pix: Close-up of the microfluidics cell sorting device.
The research entitled ‘Multivariate biophysical markers predictive of mesenchymal
stromal cell multipotency’ has been published in the prestigious scientific journal
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
A new way to diagnose malaria
SMART-BioSyM team has now come up with a possible alternative. The researchers have devised a way to use magnetic resonance relaxometry (MRR), a close cousin of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to detect a parasitic waste product in the blood of infected patients. The paper describing the technique in the Aug. 31 issue of Nature Medicine.
SMART- BioSyM Press Release
Worldwide News coverage on our Malaria diagnosis technique
......More BioSyM Highlights
BioSyM Friday Seminar by Dr. Sebastian Beyer
Date: 28th November, 2014, 4.00 pm @ Enterprise Level 5 Perseverance Rooms, CREATE
Title: "Carbohydrate colloids for biomedical applications”
- “Bone Marrow Regeneration Promoted by Biophysically Sorted Osteoprogenitors From Mesenchymal Stromal Cells”, Stem Cells Translational Medicine
- "Jetting microfluidics with size-sorting capability for single-cell protease detection", Biosensors and Bioelectronics
- "Phase imaging using shifted wavefront sensor images", Optics Letters
- "Phase imaging for absorptive phase objects using hybrid uniform and structured illumination Transport of Intensity Equation",
- "In vivo label-free quantification of liver microcirculation using dual-modality microscopy", Journal of Biomedical Optics
- Effect of YOYO-1 on the mechanical properties of DNA, Soft Matter
- Interconversion between Three Overstretched DNA Structures, Journal of American Chemical Society
- Mechanical force antagonizes the inhibitory effects of RecX on RecA filament formation in Mycobacterium
tuberculosis, Nucleic Acids Research
Meet the Principal Investigators, Collaborators, researchers, students and staff of SMART-BioSyM
Read about our research thrusts/projects, lab facilities and publications