Prof. C.T.Lim of NUS, one of the BioSyM PIs, is elected to be inducted into Medical and Biological Engineering Elite by The American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
BioSyM research published in Nature Protocols, Jan 2016 issue: Ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells from blood using spiral microfluidics, Majid Ebrahimi, et al.,
Overview of CTC isolation using spiral microfluidics. (a) Schematic of CTC enrichment by a spiral channel. CTCs are focused near the inner wall, whereas WBCs, RBCs and platelets are focused closer to the outer wall at the outlet because of the combined effects of inertial lift force and Dean drag force. (b) Left, optical image of single and multiplexed spiral biochips for high-throughput CTC isolation from lysed blood. Right, schematic illustrating the possible downstream techniques for functional characterization of CTCs isolated using a spiral biochip.
Protein folding and DNA condensation are two important instances that a biopolymer undergoes a conformation change from a coiled state to a globular state. Such coil-globule transition often occurs in confined space due to cell membranes.BioSyM researchers have found that confinement makes the transition easier and faster, because the coiled conformation is disfavored in confined space. The details are published in Scientific Reports(Nature Publications)
......More BioSyM Highlights
BioSyM Focused Seminar Series
15 Feb — 4 Apr 2016
15 Feb 2016, Monday. 4 pm
Location: CREATE Enterprise Level 5, Perseverance Rooms, UTown
- "Ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells from blood using spiral microfluidics", Nature Protocols
- "Cellobiohydrolase 1 from Trichoderma reesei degrades cellulose in single cellobiose steps", Nature Communications
- "Coil-globule transition of a single semiflexible chain in slitlikeconfinement", Scientific Reports (Nature Publications)
- "Revisit the anomalous bending elasticity of sharply bent DNA", Biophysical Journal
- "Single-Particle Spectroscopic Study on Fluorescence Enhancement by Plasmon Coupled Gold Nanorod Dimers Assembled on DNA Origami", J. Phys. Chem. Lett.
- "Chaos analysis of viscoelastic chaotic flows of polymeric fluids in a micro-channel", AIP ADVANCES
- "Contact-dependent carcinoma aggregate dispersion by M2a macrophages via ICAM-1 and ?2 integrin interactions", Oncotarget
- “Quantification of liver fibrosis via second harmonic imaging of the Glisson's capsule from liver surface”, Journal of Biophotonics.
- “Second harmonic generation microcopy is a novel technique for differential diagnosis of breast fibroepithelial lesions”, Journal of Clinical Pathology.
Meet the Principal Investigators, Collaborators, researchers, students and staff of SMART-BioSyM
Read about our research thrusts/projects, lab facilities and publications