Left Pix: (L-R) Associate Professor Jerry Chan, SMART co-Investigator; Dr Zhiyong Poon, SMART Research Scientist and Dr Jacky Lee, former SMART Postdoctoral Associate, with the microfluidics cell sorting device that isolates Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs) for bone and muscle therapeutic applications. This device can reduce the analysis and decision-making process from 1 - 2 months to less than 3 days. Right Pix: Close-up of the microfluidics cell sorting device.
The research entitled ‘Multivariate biophysical markers predictive of mesenchymal
stromal cell multipotency’ will be published in the prestigious scientific journal
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences this week.
A new way to diagnose malaria
SMART-BioSyM team has now come up with a possible alternative. The researchers have devised a way to use magnetic resonance relaxometry (MRR), a close cousin of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to detect a parasitic waste product in the blood of infected patients. The paper describing the technique in the Aug. 31 issue of Nature Medicine.
SMART- BioSyM Press Release
Worldwide News coverage on our Malaria diagnosis technique
......More BioSyM Highlights
BioSyM Friday Seminar by Dr. Johannes Antonius HEEMSKERK
Date: 10th October, 2014, 4.00 pm @ Enterprise Level 5 Perseverance Rooms, CREATE
Title:"Imaging of muscle regeneration in the confetti mouse model"
- Multivariate biophysical markers predictive of mesenchymal stromal cell multipotency, PNAS
- Micromagnetic resonance relaxometry for rapid label-free malaria diagnosis, Nature Medicine
- Metastable Tight Knots in Semiflexible Chains, Macromolecules
- Direct In Vivo Electrochemical Detection of Haemoglobin in Red Blood Cell, Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing)
- Talbot Holographic Non-scanning (THIN) Fluorescence Microsocpy”, Laser and Photonics Reviews
- Dynamic remodeling of microbial biofilms by functionally distinct exopolysaccharides", mBio
- Chemoenvironmental modulators of fluidity in the suspended biological cell” Soft Matter
- Reassignment of Scattered Emission Photons in Miltifocal Multiphoton Microscopy", Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing)
Meet the Principal Investigators, Collaborators, researchers, students and staff of SMART-BioSyM
Read about our research thrusts/projects, lab facilities and publications