A Society Founded Upon Service
Our members and eligibles hold a high regard for service, and recognize the value of engaging with the greater Boston community through a variety of different service events. Past service events organized by our members and eligibles have included:
- Habitat for Humanity
- Girls Who Code
- Challah for Hunger
- Relay for Life
- Boston Red Sox Green Team
- Loaves and Fishes Program
- Smithsonian Institution
- ZSL Instant Wild
Community Service Database
Interested in getting involved with service but don't know where to start? Check out these resources we've compiled below! You can also find examples of in-person service events here and online service events here.
- CovEducation: (co-founded by MIT TBP’s own Tam Nguyen!). Their Facebook page can be found here as well. This online mentoring/tutoring program helps to provide all K-12 students with access to high-quality education and mentoring services.
- GoPeer: Another great online tutoring service for K-12 students - they have a great online volunteer program where you can go and tutor students online as a volunteer! To set up volunteering hours with them, you can apply as a tutor here and email their volunteer team here.
- Numerade: This platform hosts video solutions to textbook problems, and they also host free tutoring for K-12 students. You can sign up to be a volunteer tutor through this Google form here.
Partnering with MIT Groups:
- Code for Good: This MIT organization runs technical consulting programs for a variety of non-profits. Though you may need to apply in order to work with these non-profits, if interested, it is a great way to use your skills to give back.
- Splash: Run by MIT ESP, this is another great tutoring/mentoring/teaching service. This is happening the weekend before Thanksgiving (just a heads up: registration for this may already be full).
- Invisible Hands: This organization helps by delivering food and other supplies to households with immuno-compromised individuals. You can volunteer with them by Invisible filling out this form (note you can help in-person or remotely, depending on your specific circumstances).
- Translators without Borders: This organization partners with people around the world to perform time-sensitive, important translations for medical texts and disaster response.
- UN Online Volunteering: Currently, there are several COVID-specific projects through which you can help people struggling with the effects of COVID-19. This organization also focuses on education and empowerment for all.
- GiveCamp: At GiveCamp, experts in technology, design, business, and marketing come together and partner with local charities to create technology solutions for their cause. Talented professionals are given the opportunity to give back to the charities that provide so much to the communities we all live in. Together, we create websites, brand identities, marketing strategies, and custom software to improve the lives and efficiencies of local non-profits.
- Partners for Youths with Disabilities.
- Broad Resources: If none of the opportunities above are of interest to you, please also look into these resources below!
If you have any ideas for service projects or want to get involved with TBP service events, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.