Grading & Expectations
Although your final grade for 12.000 will be a pass (P) or will not appear on your record at all (NR), you should know that we are required to assign a “hidden grade”. On the grade sheet that you will receive at the end of the semester you'll see a letter grade, however, it does not appear on your permanent record. The grade reflects how closely you met the instructors (and your) expectations. We understand that everyone will participate in different ways and some will be much more vocal than others. If you don't participate you’ll be letting down your team and the entire class. It is hard to fail 12.000 but it can be done if you never show up for team meetings or class. We also understand that you are taking other classes with heavy work-loads.
In our second class, we will divide the class into teams, each of which will be charged with proposing a component for the final plan on global water security.
After a few introductory classes you will enter the "research phase" of 12.000, which is expected to be be complete by Thanksgiving. Each team will be assigned one or two undergraduate teaching fellows (UTF's) and one or more Alumni Mentors to serve as information resources. The UTF's, all of whom are veterans of 12.000, can give you tips on how best to work toward a successful conclusion. The Alumni Mentors can provide more general suggestions as to how they tackled complex problems like those posed in Mission 2017. An important aspect of 12.000 is its emphasis on teamwork. Consequently, 70 percent of your grade depends on the performance of your team and the class as a whole, whereas the remaining 30 percent comes from your individual performance.
First, the class must create a content-rich web site to describe and justify your definition and solution of the problem. More details regarding the Project Web Site are located here. The web site should be completed no later than November 27 when it will be released to the outside panel.
Second, the class will make a final, one-two hour, oral presentation of its solution on Wednesday, December 4, 2013. This presentation will be open to the entire MIT community and will be broadcast over the internet. In addition, a panel of experts will be invited to attend the presentation and to critique the presentation in open forum. Because it is logistically difficult for everyone to speak during the presentation, the staff recommends the class elect a "presentation committee" that will choreograph and present the final broadcast. The committee should not bear sole responsibility for the work involved in developing the presentation.
Individual Grade Component
Thirty percent of your grade reflects how well you, as an individual, met the expectations of the teaching staff over the course of the semester. They expect that you will: