Faculty Policy Committee
The Faculty Policy Committee has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Formulate policy on matters of concern to the Faculty, for approval by the Faculty; interpret and implement policy as approved by the Faculty.
- Coordinate the work of the other Committees of the Faculty, establishing liaison with them, providing guidance and direction, and referring issues to particular Committees or establishing Ad Hoc Committees as appropriate.
- Maintain a broad overview of the Institute's academic programs, coordinating and reviewing proposals from the Standing and Ad Hoc Committees for presentation to Faculty meeting.
- Maintain a broad overview of the activities of the Office of Corporate Relations and other similar efforts as they relate to the activities of the members of the Faculty.
- Keep informed of new problems of potential conflicts of interest and recommend appropriate modifications of policies and procedures to the Faculty.
- Communicate with the Faculty as a whole on important matters of policy, reporting regularly at Faculty meetings.
- Meet periodically with the President, Academic Deans, and others to enhance the interchange between the Faculty and the Administration on matters of concern to the Faculty.
- Consider issues involving relationships between Administration and both Faculty and other academic staff with teaching responsibilities.
- Establish the manner in which the academic program is presented in official Institute publications, delegating to other Standing Committees such parts of the responsibility as deemed desirable.
The Committee is comprised of the Chair of the Faculty; the Associate Chair of the Faculty; the Secretary of the Faculty; the Chair-elect or the immediately preceding Associate Chair (in alternate years); seven elected Faculty members; one undergraduate and one graduate student; and, ex officio nonvoting, two members designated by the Provost, and one member designated by the President.
Prof. Susan S Silbey, Chair (June 30, 2019)
Prof. Sandy Alexandre (L) (June 30, 2019)
Prof. W Craig Carter, Secretary of the Faculty (June 30, 2019)
Materials Science and Engineering
Prof. Rick Lane Danheiser, Associate Chair of the Faculty and Chair-Elect (June 30, 2019)
Prof. David M Geltner (June 30, 2020)
Urban Studies & Planning
Prof. Charles F Harvey (June 30, 2019)
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Prof. John H Lienhard (June 30, 2021)
Dept Heads Vice President for Research
Prof. Haynes R Miller (June 30, 2019)
Prof. Georgia Perakis (June 30, 2020)
Sloan School of Management
Prof. Patrick H Winston (June 30, 2021)
Electrical Engineering-Computer Science
Ms. Kathryn Jiang, Student '20 (June 30, 2019)
Mr. Connor Coley, Student G (June 30, 2019)
Prof. Cynthia Barnhart, Designated Representative, President #
Prof. Pablo Jarillo-Herrero, Designated Representative, Provost # (June 30, 2019)
Prof. Kristala L Prather, Designated Representative, Provost # (June 30, 2019)
Dr. Tami Kaplan, Staff to Committee
Office of the President
NOTE: Date in parentheses indicates term expiration.
* Ex Officio Voting
# Ex Officio Non-Voting
^ Non-MIT Member 7/20/2018
L On Leave
For a complete list of Faculty and Institute Committees and Councils see the MIT Faculty Governance website.