Roger D. Kamm
- 2011- Adjunct Professor, Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore
- 2010 – Director, STC on Emergent Behaviors of Integrated Cellular Systems
- 2010 – Cecil and Ida Green Distinguished Professor of Biological and Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
- 2009 – 2010 SMART Research Professor of Biological and Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
- 2005-2008 Associate Head, Department of Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
- 2005-2009 Germeshausen Professor of Mechanical and Biological Engineering, M.I.T.
- 1998-2005 Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering, M.I.T.
- 1995- Lecturer on Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- 1994- Associate Director, Center for Biomedical Engineering, M.I.T.
- 1988- Professor of Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
- 1988- Professor of Health Sciences and Technology, M.I.T. and Harvard University
- 1981-1988 Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
- 1986-1987 Senior Visiting Scientist, University of Cambridge
- 1978-1981 Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
- 1977-1978 Lecturer and Research Associate, M.I.T.
- 2012 Chair, International Academy of Medical & Biological Engineers
- Elected Fellow, Institute of Medicine (2010)
- Lissner Medal (for lifetime achievement), ASME Bioengineering Division (2010)
- Fellow, American Academy for the Advancement of Science (2010)
- American Inst. Of Medical and Biological Engineering (Founding Fellow) (1993)
- Class of 1960 Award (1999)
- Everett Moore Baker Memorial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2001)
- Southwest Mechanics Lecturer (2002)
- Eschbach Distinguished Visiting Scholar Award, Northwestern University (2002)
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineering (2003)
- Distinguished Lecturer in Biomechanics, Stanford University, (2004)
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society (2004)
- Fellow, International Academy of Medical and Biological Engineering (2005)
- Chair, US National Committee on Biomechanics
- Chair, World Council on Biomechanics (2006-10)
- Director, Global Enterprise in MicroMechanics and Molecular Medicine (2007 - )
- National University of Singapore OLS Distinguished Lecture (2007)
- Skalak Memorial Lecture, UC San Diego (2007)
- Midwest Mechanics Lecturer (2007-8)
- Chair, International Academy of Medical and Biological Engineering (2009-present)
- American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (Founding Fellow)
- American Society for the Advancement of Science (Fellow)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineering (Fellow)
- Biomedical Engineering Society (Fellow)
- Biophysical Society
- International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering (Fellow)
- Journal of Multiscale Modeling
- Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering
- Methods in Cell Science
- Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering
- Biomedical Engineering Letters
- Journal Royal Society Interface
- 2000 Cardiovascular Technologies (with Dr. Jonathan Gertler) Developing vascular filtration systems for carotid angioplasty. Technology ultimately purchased by Boston Scientific.
- 2012 AIM Biotech (with Dr. Seok Chung) Developing microfluidic systems for heterotypic, 3D cell culture and drug screening for metastatic cancers.
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- C. J. Ochs (SMART), J. Kasuya (MIT) , A. Pavesi (SMART) and R.Kamm (MIT/SMART), “Oxygen Levels in Thermoplastic Microfluidic Devices during Cell Culture”, Lab on A Chip, 2013, DOI: 10.1039/C3LC51160J
- Sei Hien Lim (NUS/SMART), Choong Kim (SMART), Amir R. Aref (SMART), Roger D. Kamm (MIT/SMART), Michael Raghunath (NUS), "Complementary effects of ciclopirox olamine, a prolyl hydroxylase inhibitor and sphingosine 1-phosphate on fibroblasts and endothelial cells in driving capillary sprouting", Integrative Biology (In Press), published online 30 Oct 2013
- Ting-Yuan Tu (NUS/SMART), Zhe Wang (NUS/SMART), Jing Bai (SMART), Wei Sun (SMART), Weng Kung Peng (SMART), Ruby Yun-Ju Huang (CSIS/NUS), Jean-Paul Thiery (NUS/A*STAR-IMCB), Roger D. Kamm (MIT/SMART), "Rapid Prototyping of Concave Microwells for the Formation of 3D Multicellular Cancer Aggregates for Drug Screening", Advanced Healthcare Materials, Published online, Aug 2013 (DOI: 10.1002/adhm.20130015, © 2013 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
- Amir R. Aref (SMART), Ruby Yun-Ju Huang (CSIS/NUS), Wei-miao Yu (A*STAR-IMCB), Kian-Ngiap Chua (CSIS-NUS)),
Wei Sun (SMART), Ting-Yuan Tu (NUS/SMART), Jing Ba (SMART) , Wen-Jing Sim (CSIS-NUS)), Ioannis K Zervantonakis (MIT), Jean Paul Thiery (A*STAR-IMCB) and Roger D. Kamm (SMART/MIT), "Screening therapeutic EMT blocking agents in a three dimensional microenvironment" Integrative Biology, published on the web 21 Nov 2012, DOI: 10.1039/C2IB20209C
- Kim, M. (SMART), Kim, C. (SMART), Wood, L. (MIT), Neal, D. (MIT), Kamm, R. (MIT / SMART) and Asada, H. (MIT / SMART), "Integrating Focal Adhesion Dynamics, Cytoskeleton Remodeling, and Actin Motor Activity for Predicting Cell Migration on 3D Curved Surfaces of Extracellular Matrix", Integrative biology, 4(11), 1386-1397 (2012)
- Kenichi Funamoto (Tohoku Univ), Ioannis K.Zervantonakis (MIT), Liu, Y. (NUS), Ochs, C. J. (SMART), Kim, C. (SMART), Kamm, R (MIT/SMART), "A Novel Microfluidic Platform for High-Resolution Imaging of a Three-Dimensional Cell Culture under a Controlled Hypoxic Environment", Lab Chip, 22, 4855-4863 (2012).
- Sin Y, Han S, Jeon JS, Yamamota K, Zervantonakis IK, Sudo R, Kamm RD and Chung S. Microfluidic assay for simultaneous culture of multiple cell types on surfaces or within hydrogels. Nature Prot. (in press) 2012.
- Jeong GS, Han S, Shin Y, Kwon GH, Kamm RD, Lee SH, Chung S. Sprouting angiogenesis under a chemical gradient regulated by interaction with endothelial monolayer in microfluidic platform, Anal Chem. Epub 2011 Oct 10. PMID: 21985643.
- Polacheck WJ, Charest JL, Kamm RD. Interstitial flow influences direction of tumor cell migration through competing mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Jul 5; 108 (27) :11115-20. PubMed PMID:21690404; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3131352
- Kothapalli CR, van Veen E, de Valence S, Chung S, Zervantonakis IK, Gertler FB, Kamm RD. A high-throughput microfluidic assay to study neurite response to growth factor gradients. Lab Chip. 2011 Feb 7; 11 (3) :497-507. PMID:21107471.
- Chung S, Sudo S, Vickerman V, Zervantonakis IK, Kamm RD. Microfluidic Platforms for Studies of Angiogenesis, Cell Migration, and Cell–Cell Interactions, Annals Biomed Engineering, 2010, DOI: 10.1007/s10439-010-9899-3.
- Kim T, Hwang W, Kamm RD. Computational analysis of a cross-linked actin-like network. Exptl Mech, 2009, 49:91-104.
- Chung S, Sudo S, Mack PJ, Wan C-R, Vickerman V, Kamm RD. Cell migration into scaffold under co-culture conditions in a microfluidic platform. Lab Chip, 2009, 9(2):269-75.
- Mack PJ, Zhang Y, Chung S, Vickerman V, Kamm RD, Garcia-Cardena G. Biomechanical regulation ofendothelium-dependent events critical for adaptive remodeling. J Biol Chem. 2009, 284(13):8412-8420.
- Sudo R, Chung S, Zervantonakis IK, Vickerman V, Toshimitsu Y, Griffith LG, Kamm RD. Transport-mediated angiogenesis in 3D epithelial coculture. FASEB J, 2009 Mar 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chung S, Yun H and Kamm RD. Nanointerstice-driven microflow. Small, 2009, 5(5) 609-13.DOI: 10.1002/smll.200800748.
- Lee H, Pelz B, Ferrer JM, Kim T, Lang MJ, and Kamm RD. Cytoskeletal Deformation at High Strains and the Role of Cross-link Unfolding or Unbinding, Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, Vol. 2, No. 1, March 2009, pp. 28–38, DOI: 10.1007/s12195-009-0048-8
- Discher D, Dong C, Fredberg JJ, Guilak F, Ingber D, Janmey P, Kamm RD, Schmid-Schonbein GW, and Weinbaum S. Biomechanics: Cell Research and Applications for the Next Decade, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 5, May 2009, pp. 847–859 DOI: 10.1007/s10439-009-9661-x.
- Chung S, Sudo R, Zervantonakis I, Rimchala T, Kamm RD. Surface-treatment-induced three-dimensional capillary morphogenesis in a microfluidic platform. Advanced Materials, published online Aug. 28, 2009.
- Wood LB, Das A, Kamm RD, Asada HH. A stochastic broadcast feedback approach to regulating cell population morphology for microfluidic angiogenesis platforms. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2009 Sep;56(9):2299-303. Epub 2009 Jul 17.
- Kim T, Hwang W, Lee H, Kamm RD. Computational analysis of viscoelastic properties of crosslinked actin networks. PLoS Comput Biol. 2009 Jul;5(7):e1000439. Epub 2009 Jul 17.
- Guldberg R, Butler DL, Goldstein S, Guo XE, Kamm R, Laurencin CT, McIntire LV, Mow VC, Nerem R, Sah RL, Soslowsky L, Spilker RL, Tranquillo RT. The Impact of Biomechanics in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. Tissue Eng Part B Rev. 2009 Jul 7. [Epub ahead of print]
Current research support
- NIH/NCI: Microfluidic 3D Assay for Cancer Cell Migration and Intravasation (2013-2016)
- NSF: Science and Technology Center for Emergent Behavior of Integrated Cellular Systems (2010-2015)
- Singapore Nationa Research Foundation: SMART BioSyM IRG, Singapore, (2008-2018)