Publications of Dava J. Newman
Newman, D.J., Interactive Aerospace Engineering and Design, Introductory engineering textbook with accompanying CD-ROM, McGraw-Hill, Inc., June 2001.
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Newman, D.J. and S.R. Bussolari, "Dual-Task
Performance on an Interactive Human/Computer Space Shuttle Flight Experiment,"
Biomed Sci Instrum, 26:213-25, 1990.
- Newman, D.J. and H.L. Alexander, "Human Locomotion and Workload for Simulated
Lunar and Martian Environments," Acta Astronautica, 29(8): 613-620, 1993.
- Newman, D.J., Alexander, H.L. and B.W. Webbon, "Energetics
and Mechanics for Partial Gravity Locomotion," Aviat Space and Environ
Med, 65: 815-823, 1994.
- Newman, D.J., "Modeling Reduced Gravity
Human Locomotion," Advances in Mathematical Modeling of Biological
Processes, D. Kirschner, ed., International Journal of Applied Science
and Computation, 3(1):91-101, June, 1996.
- Newman, D.J., Schultz, K.U. and J.L. Rochlis, "Closed Loop, Estimator Based
Model of Human Posture Following Reduced Gravity Exposure," AIAA Journal
of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 19(5):1102-1108, 1996.
- Newman, D.J., Tryfonidis, M. and M. van Schoor, "Astronaut-Induced Disturbances
in Microgravity," AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 34(2): 252-254,
- Newman, D.J., Jackson, D.K. and J.J. Bloomberg, "Altered
Astronaut Lower-Limb and Mass Center Kinematics in Downward Jumping Following
Space Flight," Exp
Brain Res, 117:30-42, 1997.
- Lathan, C.E. and D.J. Newman, "Quantification of Human Performance in Extreme
Environments," Advances in Human Factors/Ergonomics, 21B:1005-1008, 1997.
- Newman, D.J. and G. Schaffner, "Computational Dynamic Analysis of Extravehicular
Activity: Large Mass Handling," AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets,
35(2): 225-227, 1998.
- Stanney, K., Salvendy, G. et al., "Aftereffects and Sense Of Presence In
Virtual Environments: Formulation Of A Research And Development Agenda," International
Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 10(2), 135-187, 1998.
- Newman, D.J. and C.E. Lathan, "Memory
Processes and Motor Control in Extreme Environments," IEEE Transactions
on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Applications and Reviews, 29(3):
387-394, August 1999.
- Lathan, C.E., Sebrechts, M.M., Newman, D.J and C.R. Doarn, "Heuristic Evaluation
of a Web-Based Interface For Internet Telemedicine," Telemedicine Journal,
5(2): 177-185, 1999.
- Schaffner, G., Newman, D.J. and S. Robinson, "Computational
Simulation of Extravehicular Activity Dynamics During a Satellite Capture
Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 23(2): 367-369, March-April
- Rochlis, J. and D.J. Newman, "A Tactile Display for International Space
Station (ISS) Extravehicular Activity (EVA)," Aviat Space and Environ Med,
71(6): 571-578, June 2000.
- Baroni, G., Rigotti, C., Amir, A.R., Ferrigno, G., Newman, D.J. and A.
"Multifactorial Movement Analysis in Weightlessness: A Ground Based Feasibility
Study," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 49(3): 476-483,
- Newman, D.J., "Life in Extreme Environments: How Will Humans Perform on
Mars?" ASGSB Gravitational and Space Biology Bulletin, 13(2): 35-47, June
- Jackson, D.K. and D.J. Newman, "Adaptive
Effects of Space Flight as Revealed by Short-Term Partial Weight Suspension," Aviat
Space and Environ Med, 71(9), September 2000.
- Amir, A.R. and D.J. Newman, "Research into
the Effects of Astronaut Motion on the Spacecraft: A Review," Acta
Astronautica, 47(12): 859-869, December 2000.
- Newman, D.J. and A.R. Amir, "Innovative First Year Aerospace Design Course
at MIT," ASEE Journal of Engineering Education, 90(3): 375-381, July 2001.
- Newman, D.J., Amir, A.R. and S.M. Beck, "Astronaut-Induced
Disturbances to the Microgravity Environment on Board the Mir Space Station:
Results of the Enhanced Dynamic Load Sensors Spaceflight Experiment,"
AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 38(4): 578-583, July-August 2001.
- Amir, A.R., Baroni, G., Pedrocchi, A., Newman, D.J., Ferrigno, G. and A.
Pedotti, "Measuring Astronaut Performance on the ISS: Advanced Kinematic
and Kinetic Instrumentation," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and
Measurement, (in press) October 2001.
R., Abeysekera, J., Gard, G., Hsiang, S.M., Leamon, T.B., Newman, D.J., Gielo-Perczak,
K., Lockhart, T.E., and C.Y.-C. Pai," Human-Centered Approaches in Slipperiness
Measurement," Ergonomics: The Official Journal of the Ergonomics Society
and the International Ergonomics Association, 44(13): 1167-1199, October
- Saleh, J.H., Hastings, D.E., and D.J. Newman, "Spacecraft
AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets,Vol. 39,No. 2, 244-257,March-April
- Saleh, J.H., Hastings, D.E., and D.J. Newman, "Flexibility
in System Design and Implications for Aerospace Systems," Acta Astronautica,
- Saleh, J.H., Hastings, D.E., and D.J. Newman, "Weaving
Time into System Architecture: Satellite Cost per Operational Day and Optimal
Design Lifetime," Acta Astronautica, vol.54, pp 413-431 2004.
- Saleh, J.H., Lamassoure, E.S., Hastings, D.E., and D.J. Newman, "Flexibility
and the Value of On-Orbit Servicing: A New Customer-Centric Perspective," AIAA
Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, vol.40, No. 2, pp 279-291, March-April
- White, R.J., Bassingthwaighte, J.B., Charles, J.B., Kushmerick, M.J., Newman,
D.J., “Issues of Exploration: Human Health and Wellbeing During a Mission
to Mars”, Adv. Space Res., Vol. 31, No.1 pp. 7-16, 2003.**
- Carr, C.E., Schwartz, S.J., and D.J. Newman, "Preliminary Considerations
for Wearable Computing in Support of Astronaut Extravehicular Activity,"
- Bethke, K., Carr, C. E. Pitts, B. M., Newman, D.J., “Bio-Suit
Development: Viable Options for Mechanical Counter Pressure”, Society
of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, USA, SAE paper 2004-01-2294,
- MacLeish, M.Y., Moreno, N. P., Thomson, W. A., Newman, D. J.,
Gannon, P. J., Smith, R. S., Denton, J. J., James, R. K., Wilson, C., Sognier,
M., Illman, D. L., “Communicating Bioastronautics Research to Students,
Families and the Nation”, Acta Astronautica, vol. 56, pp 773-782, March
- C.E. Carr and D.J. Newman. “When is running in a space
suit more efficient than walking in a space suit?”, Society of Automotive
Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA. SAE paper 2005-01-2970, 2005.**
- Saleh, J.H., Hassan, R., Torres-Padilla, J. P., Hastings, D. E., and
Newman, D.J., “Impact of Subsystem Reliability on Satellite Revenue
Generation and Present Value”, AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets,
vol. 42, No. 6, November-December 2005.**
- Ferguson, P. A., Newman, D.
J., “Novel Dynamic Joint Torque Estimation using Force-Plate and Joint
Angle Data”, (submitted to journal), December 2005.**
- Saleh, J.
H., Torres-Padilla, J-P., Hastings, D. E., Newman, D. J., “To Reduce
or to Extend a Spacecraft Design Lifetime?”, Journal of Spacecraft
and Rockets, vol. 43, No. 1, Jan-Feb. 2006.
- Jordan, N. C., Saleh, J.
H., Newman, D. J., “The extravehicular mobility unit: A review of environment,
requirements, and design changes in the US spacesuit”, Acta Astronautica,
Volume 59, Issue 12, Pages 1135-1145, July 2006.
- Saleh, J. H., Jordan,
N. C., Newman, D. J. “Shifting the emphasis: from cost models to satellite
utility or revenue models - The case for a value-centric mindset in space
system design.” Acta Astronautica, Vol. 69, No. 10, 2007, p. 889–900.**
- Carr, C. E., Newman, D. J., “Space Suit Bioenergetics: Framework
and Analysis of Unsuited and Suited Activity”, Aviation, Space Environmental
Medicine, 78:1013-1022, 2007.**
- Carr, C. E., Newman, D. J., “Space
Suit Bioenergetics: Cost of Transport During Walking and Running”,
Journal of Aviation, Space Environmental Medicine, 78:1093-1102, 2007.**
- Carr CE, Newman DJ. “Characterization of a lower-body exoskeleton
for simulation of space-suited locomotion”, Acta Astronautica 62 (2008)
- Arai, T., Aoki, H., Fanchiang,
C., Newman, D.J., "Educational Tool for Modeling and Simulation of a
Closed Regenerative Life Support System" Acta Astronautica 63 (2008)
- Stirling, L.,
Newman, D.J., Willcox, K., “Self-Rotations in Simulated Microgravity:
Performance Effects of Strategy Training" Journal of Aviation, Space
Environmental Medicine, vol. 80 no. 1, pp. 5-14, 2009. **
- Stirling, L.,
Willcox, K., Ferguson, P., Newman, D.J., “Kinetics and Kinematics for
Translational Motions in Microgravity During Parabolic Flight ”, Journal
of Aviation, Space Environmental Medicine, vol. 80, No. 6, pp. 522-531, 2009.
- Stirling, L., Willcox, K., Newman, D., “Development of a Computational
Model for Astronaut Reorientation”, Journal of Biomechanics, (re-submitted),
- Stirling, A. Arsie, L., Willcox, K., Frazzoli, E., Newman, D., “Application
of Quantized Control to Human Reorientation Maneuvers in Microgravity”,
Journal of Biomechanics, (accepted), 2010. **
- Waldie, J., Newman, D., “A
Gravity Loading Countermeasure Skinsuit”, Acta Astronautica (submitted),
- R. A. Opperman, J. M. Waldie, A. Natapoff, D. J. Newman, J. A.
Jones, “Statistical Analysis of Suit-Induced Fingernail Trauma in U.S.
Astronauts,” Journal of Aviation, Space Environmental Medicine (submitted),
- Wagner, E.B., Granzella, N.P., Saito, N., Newman, D.J., Young,
L.R., Bouxsein, M.L., “Partial weight Suspension: A Novel Murine Model
for Investigation Adaptation to Reduce Musculoskeletal Loading”, Journal
of Applied Physiology, 2010109:350-357; published ahead of print June 3, 2010, doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00014.2009).
- Goel, R., Kaderka, J. Newman, D., “Modeling the benefits of an artificial gravity countermeasure couple with exercise and vibration, Acta Astronautics, (invited), 2011.**
- Stephen, G., Hsu, WenHo., Saltzman, E., Holt, K., Newman, D., Weinberg, M., Wood, R., Nagpal, R., Young, D., Goldfield, E., “Multifractal Fluctuations in Joint angles during infant spontaneous kicking reveal multiplicativity-driven coordination”,2011.
- Waldie, J., Newman, D., “A gravity loading countermeasure skinsuit” Original Research Article Acta Astronautica " , Volume 68, issues 7-8, April-May, Pages 722-230.
- Goel, R., Kaderka, J. Newman, D., “Modeling the benefits of an artificial gravity countermeasure couple with exercise and vibration, Acta Astronautics, Volume 70, January–February 2012, Pages 43-51.
- Wessendorf, A.M. and Newman, D.J., Dynamic Understanding of Human-Skin Movement and Strain-Field Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, VOL. 59, NO. 012, pp 3432-3438, 2012.
- Eugene C. Goldfield, Yong-Lae Park, Bor-Rong Chen, Wen-Hao Hsu, Diana Young, Michael Wehner, Damian G. Kelty-Stephen, Leia Stirling, Marc Weinberg, Dava Newman, Radhika Nagpal, Elliot Saltzman, Kenneth G. Holt, Conor Walsh & Robert J. Wood (2012): Bio-Inspired Design of Soft Robotic Assistive Devices: The Interface of Physics, Biology, and Behavior, Ecological Psychology, 24:4, 300-327.
- Damian G. Stephen, Wen-Hao Hsu, Diana Young, Elliot L. Saltzman, Kenneth G. Holt,Dava J. Newman, Marc Weinberg, Robert J. Wood, Radhika Nagpal, Eugene C. Goldfield, "Multifractal fluctuations in joint angles during infant spontaneous kicking reveal multiplicativity-driven coordination", Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, Vol. 45, Issues 9-10, pp. 1201-1219, Sept-Oct, 2012.
- Pfotenhauer, Sebastian M., et al. "Seeding Change through International University Partnerships: The MIT-Portugal Program as a Driver of Internationalization, Networking, and Innovation." Higher Education Policy, 2012.
- Newman, D.J., Silva,M.T., Martins, J.M., d’Orey, S., “Simulation of Passive Dynamic Walkers Using Contact Models”, Gait and Posture.
- Duda, K., Vasquez, R., Newman, D.J., “Variable Vector Countermeasure Suit (V2Suit) for Space Exploration", IEEE Explore, paper number 978-1-4673-1813-6, 2013.
- Domingues, R., Marreiros, S.M., Martins, J., Silva, M., Newman, D.J., "Analysis of the Skin Deformation about the Ankle-Foot Joint Using Two Different Methods of Digital Technology" submitted IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2013.
- Pfotenhauer, S., Wood, D.., Newman, D.J.. "Comples International Science, Technology and Innovation Partnerships: Towards a theoritical framework for analysis, assessment and design", Review of Policy Research, invited, 2013.
- Holschuh, B., Obropta, E., Newman, D.J., "Low Spring Index NiTi Coil Actuators for Use in Active Compression Garments, submitted IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechtronics, 2013.
- Melo, P., Silva, M., Martins, J., and Newman, D.J., "Technical Developments of Functional Electrical Stimulation to Correct Drop Foot: Sensing, Actuation and Control Strategies", Journal of Clinical Biomechanics, available online 20 Nov 2014, Vol. 30, Issue 2, pp. Pages 101-113, doi:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2014.11.007
- Pierre J. Bertrand, Savannah L. Niles, and Dava J. Newman, "Human Spaceflight in Social Media: Promoting Space Exploration Through Twitter", New Space, Volume 3, 150514110504002, 2015. DOI: 10.1089/space.2015.0004
- Holschuh, B., and Newman, D. "Two-Spring Model for Active Compression Textiles with Integrated NiTi Coil Actuators," Smart Mater. Struct. 24 (2015).
- A. P. Anderson, D. J. Newman, R. E. Welsch "Statistical Evaluation of Causal Factors Associated with Astronaut Shoulder Injury in Space Suits" Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance  86.7 (2015): 606-613. Print.
- Kevin R. Duda, Rebecca A.Vasquez, Akil J. Middleton, Mitchell L. Hansberry, Dava J. Newman, Shane E. Jacobs and John J. West, "The Variable Vector Countermeasure Suit (V2Suit) for Space Habitation and Exploration", Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, Volume 9, Article 55, April 2015.
- P. L. Melo, M. T. Silva, J. M. Martins, D. J. Newman, A Microcontroller Platform For The Rapid Prototyping of FES-based Gait Neuroprostheses, Artif Organs, Vol. 39, Issue 5, E56-66, May 2015. DOI: 10.1111/aor.12400
- A. Anderson, D. Newman, Pressure Sensing for In-Suit Measurement of Space Suited Biomechanics, Acta Astronautica, 115 (2015) 8.
- A. Anderson, Y. Menguc, R. Wood, D. Newman, Development of the Polipo Pressure Sensing System for Dynamic Space-Suited Motion, IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 15(11):6229-6237, 2015. 10.1109/JSEN.2015.2449304, 2015
- B Holschuh, D Newman, Morphing "Compression Garments for Space Medicine and Extravehicular Activity Using Active Materials, Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance" 87 (2), 84-92, 2016
- Newman, D.J., Wood, D.,Roos, D., Pfotenhauer., S.,"Architecting complex international science, technology and innovation partnerships (CISTIPs): A study of four global MIT collaborations, Technological Forecasting and Social Change", Volume 104, March 2016, Pages 38–56.
Book and Journal Papers .
Conference Papers .
Other Major Publications .
Internal Memoranda and Progress Reports
Back to Dava Newman's Homepage