Moving through the Handbook
A Quick Step-by-Step Tutorial
The Handbook operates similarly to most World Wide Web sites you may have viewed.
All hypertext is underlined and colored for quick recognition.
You can recognize a link by moving the cursor over the word or picture; if it's a link, your cursor
will change from an arrow to a pointing finger. Click on the link and the appropriate page will be
Notice that each page within the Handbook has a hypertext footer that includes links
identical to those in the graphical tabs at the top of the page.
The footer also includes
- Open your browser and go to the Handbook using Open
Handbook via one of the following:
Ctrl + Alt + Shift + H
Customized icon button
Command + Option + H
- Place the cursor over the Table of Contents graphical tab at the top
of the title page. Notice that your cursor changes as it moves over the link.
- Click on the Table of Contents tab. Now you will be viewing the Table
of Contents page. Notice the chapter numbers at the top of the page. You can click
on any number, and you will jump to the outline for that chapter, with hypertext links
to specific topics.
- Return to the title page using one of the following
- Place the cursor over the Writing Timeline graphical tab. Notice that
your cursor changes as it moves over the link. Click on the link. Now you will be
viewing a guide to planning and organizing a writing project.
- Place the cursor over the Index graphical tab and click the link. You
can click on any letter at the top of the Index page and the corresponding portion
of the index will be displayed. You will stay within the index until you click on a
different graphical tab or until you click on a specific topic such as
- Click on a few of the hypertext links and find a variety of information.
- Return to the title page as in Step 4. Remember, every
page has a Home link at the bottom of the page which will take you back
to the Handbook's title page.
- A link to the title page (Home) so that, regardless of how many pages
you have viewed in the Handbook, you will always be just one click
away from the start.
- A "Reference Link" which varies according to the
page that is being viewed.
[ Home | Table of Contents
| Writing Timeline | Index |
Help | Credits]