For Students

Identification Cards

This section includes information about the different type of identification cards listed below. All students MUST be in the US to apply for these Identification cards.

How to Get an MIT Student ID

Once you have arrived at MIT, check in with the ISO. (If you need directions, go to our directions page.) All students must attend an immigration session in order to apply for the MIT ID.

Undergraduate students will be automatically enrolled in a session during their Mandatory International Orientation period. All other students must sign up for an immigration session. One day after your immigration session, the hold on your student ID will be released by the ISO. At this point, you should go to the MIT Card Office, located at E17-106 (Atlas Center). Tell the staff that you are applying for your MIT Student ID. They will take your picture and produce your card at the office.

Top of Page

How to Get a Driver’s License

In order to apply for a Massachusetts Driver’s license, international students must apply in person to the REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES (RMV). The closest office to MIT is:

Boston RMV
136 Blackstone Street      
Boston, MA  
(857) 368-8000
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
except Thursday, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm

Other locations and more information, including current wait times, can be found on the RMV website at

Bring the following items with you:

  • Social Security Number (or official denial notice) from the Social Security Office
  • passport
  • I-20 form or DS-2019 form
  • white I-94 arrival/departure card
  • evidence of current address in Boston (e.g. lease or rent agreement, utilities bill, or mail received with address)
  • current driver’s license from your home country or international driver’s license
  • method of payment
Top of Page

How to Get a Liquor ID Card

A Liquor ID Card may also be obtained at the REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES. (Please note that you must be age 21 or older in order to obtain a liquor ID Card.)

Requirements for Liquor ID Card are the following:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • home country license or home country ID (both must contain the person’s signature)
  • a bill or letter received with your current Boston address
Top of Page