Publications of Dava J. Newman
Newman, D.J., Interactive Aerospace Engineering and Design, Introductory engineering textbook with accompanying CD-ROM, McGraw-Hill, Inc., June 2001.
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Newman, D.J. and S.R. Bussolari, "Dual-Task
Performance on an Interactive Human/Computer Space Shuttle Flight Experiment,"
Biomed Sci Instrum, 26:213-25, 1990.
- Newman, D.J. and H.L. Alexander, "Human Locomotion and Workload for Simulated
Lunar and Martian Environments," Acta Astronautica, 29(8): 613-620, 1993.
- Newman, D.J., Alexander, H.L. and B.W. Webbon, "Energetics
and Mechanics for Partial Gravity Locomotion," Aviat Space and Environ
Med, 65: 815-823, 1994.
- Newman, D.J., "Modeling Reduced Gravity
Human Locomotion," Advances in Mathematical Modeling of Biological
Processes, D. Kirschner, ed., International Journal of Applied Science
and Computation, 3(1):91-101, June, 1996.
- Newman, D.J., Schultz, K.U. and J.L. Rochlis, "Closed Loop, Estimator Based
Model of Human Posture Following Reduced Gravity Exposure," AIAA Journal
of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 19(5):1102-1108, 1996.
- Newman, D.J., Tryfonidis, M. and M. van Schoor, "Astronaut-Induced Disturbances
in Microgravity," AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 34(2): 252-254,
- Newman, D.J., Jackson, D.K. and J.J. Bloomberg, "Altered
Astronaut Lower-Limb and Mass Center Kinematics in Downward Jumping Following
Space Flight," Exp
Brain Res, 117:30-42, 1997.
- Lathan, C.E. and D.J. Newman, "Quantification of Human Performance in Extreme
Environments," Advances in Human Factors/Ergonomics, 21B:1005-1008, 1997.
- Newman, D.J. and G. Schaffner, "Computational Dynamic Analysis of Extravehicular
Activity: Large Mass Handling," AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets,
35(2): 225-227, 1998.
- Stanney, K., Salvendy, G. et al., "Aftereffects and Sense Of Presence In
Virtual Environments: Formulation Of A Research And Development Agenda," International
Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 10(2), 135-187, 1998.
- Newman, D.J. and C.E. Lathan, "Memory
Processes and Motor Control in Extreme Environments," IEEE Transactions
on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Applications and Reviews, 29(3):
387-394, August 1999.
- Lathan, C.E., Sebrechts, M.M., Newman, D.J and C.R. Doarn, "Heuristic Evaluation
of a Web-Based Interface For Internet Telemedicine," Telemedicine Journal,
5(2): 177-185, 1999.
- Schaffner, G., Newman, D.J. and S. Robinson, "Computational
Simulation of Extravehicular Activity Dynamics During a Satellite Capture
Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 23(2): 367-369, March-April
- Rochlis, J. and D.J. Newman, "A Tactile Display for International Space
Station (ISS) Extravehicular Activity (EVA)," Aviat Space and Environ Med,
71(6): 571-578, June 2000.
- Baroni, G., Rigotti, C., Amir, A.R., Ferrigno, G., Newman, D.J. and A.
"Multifactorial Movement Analysis in Weightlessness: A Ground Based Feasibility
Study," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 49(3): 476-483,
- Newman, D.J., "Life in Extreme Environments: How Will Humans Perform on
Mars?" ASGSB Gravitational and Space Biology Bulletin, 13(2): 35-47, June
- Jackson, D.K. and D.J. Newman, "Adaptive
Effects of Space Flight as Revealed by Short-Term Partial Weight Suspension," Aviat
Space and Environ Med, 71(9), September 2000.
- Amir, A.R. and D.J. Newman, "Research into
the Effects of Astronaut Motion on the Spacecraft: A Review," Acta
Astronautica, 47(12): 859-869, December 2000.
- Newman, D.J. and A.R. Amir, "Innovative First Year Aerospace Design Course
at MIT," ASEE Journal of Engineering Education, 90(3): 375-381, July 2001.
- Newman, D.J., Amir, A.R. and S.M. Beck, "Astronaut-Induced
Disturbances to the Microgravity Environment on Board the Mir Space Station:
Results of the Enhanced Dynamic Load Sensors Spaceflight Experiment,"
AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 38(4): 578-583, July-August 2001.
- Amir, A.R., Baroni, G., Pedrocchi, A., Newman, D.J., Ferrigno, G. and A.
Pedotti, "Measuring Astronaut Performance on the ISS: Advanced Kinematic
and Kinetic Instrumentation," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and
Measurement, (in press) October 2001.
R., Abeysekera, J., Gard, G., Hsiang, S.M., Leamon, T.B., Newman, D.J., Gielo-Perczak,
K., Lockhart, T.E., and C.Y.-C. Pai," Human-Centered Approaches in Slipperiness
Measurement," Ergonomics: The Official Journal of the Ergonomics Society
and the International Ergonomics Association, 44(13): 1167-1199, October
- Saleh, J.H., Hastings, D.E., and D.J. Newman, "Spacecraft
AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets,Vol. 39,No. 2, 244-257,March-April
- Saleh, J.H., Hastings, D.E., and D.J. Newman, "Flexibility
in System Design and Implications for Aerospace Systems," Acta Astronautica,
- Saleh, J.H., Hastings, D.E., and D.J. Newman, "Weaving
Time into System Architecture: Satellite Cost per Operational Day and Optimal
Design Lifetime," Acta Astronautica, vol.54, pp 413-431 2004.
- Saleh, J.H., Lamassoure, E.S., Hastings, D.E., and D.J. Newman, "Flexibility
and the Value of On-Orbit Servicing: A New Customer-Centric Perspective," AIAA
Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, vol.40, No. 2, pp 279-291, March-April
- White, R.J., Bassingthwaighte, J.B., Charles, J.B., Kushmerick, M.J., Newman,
D.J., “Issues of Exploration: Human Health and Wellbeing During a Mission
to Mars”, Adv. Space Res., Vol. 31, No.1 pp. 7-16, 2003.**
- Carr, C.E., Schwartz, S.J., and D.J. Newman, "Preliminary Considerations
for Wearable Computing in Support of Astronaut Extravehicular Activity,"
- Bethke, K., Carr, C. E. Pitts, B. M., Newman, D.J., “Bio-Suit
Development: Viable Options for Mechanical Counter Pressure”, Society
of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, USA, SAE paper 2004-01-2294,
- MacLeish, M.Y., Moreno, N. P., Thomson, W. A., Newman, D. J.,
Gannon, P. J., Smith, R. S., Denton, J. J., James, R. K., Wilson, C., Sognier,
M., Illman, D. L., “Communicating Bioastronautics Research to Students,
Families and the Nation”, Acta Astronautica, vol. 56, pp 773-782, March
- C.E. Carr and D.J. Newman. “When is running in a space
suit more efficient than walking in a space suit?”, Society of Automotive
Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA. SAE paper 2005-01-2970, 2005.**
- Saleh, J.H., Hassan, R., Torres-Padilla, J. P., Hastings, D. E., and
Newman, D.J., “Impact of Subsystem Reliability on Satellite Revenue
Generation and Present Value”, AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets,
vol. 42, No. 6, November-December 2005.**
- Ferguson, P. A., Newman, D.
J., “Novel Dynamic Joint Torque Estimation using Force-Plate and Joint
Angle Data”, (submitted to journal), December 2005.**
- Saleh, J.
H., Torres-Padilla, J-P., Hastings, D. E., Newman, D. J., “To Reduce
or to Extend a Spacecraft Design Lifetime?”, Journal of Spacecraft
and Rockets, vol. 43, No. 1, Jan-Feb. 2006.
- Jordan, N. C., Saleh, J.
H., Newman, D. J., “The extravehicular mobility unit: A review of environment,
requirements, and design changes in the US spacesuit”, Acta Astronautica,
Volume 59, Issue 12, Pages 1135-1145, July 2006.
- Saleh, J. H., Jordan,
N. C., Newman, D. J. “Shifting the emphasis: from cost models to satellite
utility or revenue models - The case for a value-centric mindset in space
system design.” Acta Astronautica, Vol. 69, No. 10, 2007, p. 889–900.**
- Carr, C. E., Newman, D. J., “Space Suit Bioenergetics: Framework
and Analysis of Unsuited and Suited Activity”, Aviation, Space Environmental
Medicine, 78:1013-1022, 2007.**
- Carr, C. E., Newman, D. J., “Space
Suit Bioenergetics: Cost of Transport During Walking and Running”,
Journal of Aviation, Space Environmental Medicine, 78:1093-1102, 2007.**
- Carr CE, Newman DJ. “Characterization of a lower-body exoskeleton
for simulation of space-suited locomotion”, Acta Astronautica 62 (2008)
- Arai, T., Aoki, H., Fanchiang,
C., Newman, D.J., "Educational Tool for Modeling and Simulation of a
Closed Regenerative Life Support System" Acta Astronautica 63 (2008)
- Stirling, L.,
Newman, D.J., Willcox, K., “Self-Rotations in Simulated Microgravity:
Performance Effects of Strategy Training" Journal of Aviation, Space
Environmental Medicine, vol. 80 no. 1, pp. 5-14, 2009. **
- Stirling, L.,
Willcox, K., Ferguson, P., Newman, D.J., “Kinetics and Kinematics for
Translational Motions in Microgravity During Parabolic Flight ”, Journal
of Aviation, Space Environmental Medicine, vol. 80, No. 6, pp. 522-531, 2009.
- Stirling, L., Willcox, K., Newman, D., “Development of a Computational
Model for Astronaut Reorientation”, Journal of Biomechanics, (re-submitted),
- Stirling, A. Arsie, L., Willcox, K., Frazzoli, E., Newman, D., “Application
of Quantized Control to Human Reorientation Maneuvers in Microgravity”,
Journal of Biomechanics, (accepted), 2010. **
- Waldie, J., Newman, D., “A
Gravity Loading Countermeasure Skinsuit”, Acta Astronautica (submitted),
- R. A. Opperman, J. M. Waldie, A. Natapoff, D. J. Newman, J. A.
Jones, “Statistical Analysis of Suit-Induced Fingernail Trauma in U.S.
Astronauts,” Journal of Aviation, Space Environmental Medicine (submitted),
- Wagner, E.B., Granzella, N.P., Saito, N., Newman, D.J., Young,
L.R., Bouxsein, M.L., “Partial weight Suspension: A Novel Murine Model
for Investigation Adaptation to Reduce Musculoskeletal Loading”, Journal
of Applied Physiology, 2010109:350-357; published ahead of print June 3, 2010, doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00014.2009).
- Goel, R., Kaderka, J. Newman, D., “Modeling the benefits of an artificial gravity countermeasure couple with exercise and vibration, Acta Astronautics, (invited), 2011.**
- Stephen, G., Hsu, WenHo., Saltzman, E., Holt, K., Newman, D., Weinberg, M., Wood, R., Nagpal, R., Young, D., Goldfield, E., “Multifractal Fluctuations in Joint angles during infant spontaneous kicking reveal multiplicativity-driven coordination”,2011.
- Waldie, J., Newman, D., “A gravity loading countermeasure skinsuit” Original Research Article Acta Astronautica " , Volume 68, issues 7-8, April-May, Pages 722-230.
Book and Journal Papers .
Conference Papers .
Other Major Publications .
Internal Memoranda and Progress Reports
Back to Dava Newman's Homepage