Publications of Dava J. Newman
Other Major Publications
- Newman, D.J., "Ground-Based Results of the Mental Workload & Performance
Experiment (MWPE)," Proceedings of the Twenty-Third Annual Conference on
Manual Control, Cambridge, MA, June 1988.
- Newman, D.J. and M. van Schoor, "Dynamic Load Sensor Experiment: Background,
Science Requirements, and Preliminary Design," white paper, November 1992.
- Newman, D.J., "Human Posture Modeling: An Assessment of Altered Gravity
Adaptation," abstract, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 23, Supp.
1, S-89:426, 1995.
- Newman, D.J., "Moving Through Fluids,"
Biomechanics, 2(5): 37-39, May 1995.
- Newman, D.J. and M. Barratt, Chapter 22: "Life
Support and Performance Issues for Extravehicular Activity (EVA)," Fundamentals
of Space Life Sciences, S. Churchill, ed., Krieger Publishing Co., Malabar,
FL, 337-364, January 1997.
- National Research Council, Advanced Technology for Human Support in Space,
Bagian, J., Committee Chair, Aeronautics and Space Engineering Board, Commission
on Engineering and Technical Systems, National Academy Press, Washington
- Lathan, C.E. and D.J. Newman, "Memory
processes and motor control during a space simulation mission," Final
Report from the Canadian Astronaut Program Space Unit Life Simulation
Mission (CAPSULS)," Canadian Space Agency, 1998.
- Newman, D.J., "Quantifying Astronaut-Induced Loads in Microgravity," Astronaut
Microgravity Awareness Training, NASA John Glenn Research Center, April
- Bloomberg, J.J., Layne, C.S., McDonald, P.V., Peters, B.T., Huebner, W.P.,
Reschke, M.F., Berthoz, A., Glasauer, S., Newman, D.J. and D.K. Jackson, "Effects
of Space Flight on Locomotor Control," in Extended Duration Orbiter Medical
Project, Final Report 1989-1995, NASA SP-1999-534, NASA Johnson Space
- McDonald, P.V., Riccio, G.E. and D.J. Newman, "Understanding Skill in EVA
Mass Handling: Vol. IV, An Integrated Methodology for Evaluating Space Suit
Mobility and Stability," NASA TP-1999-3684, NASA Johnson Space Center, November
- Newman, D.J. and D.K. Jackson, Chapter 20: "Altered Astronaut Performance
Following Spaceflight: Control and Modeling Insights," Neural Control of
Posture and Movement, J. Winters and P. Crago, eds., Springer-Verlag Publishing,
- Newman, D.J., Wu, R., Jackson, D.K. and D.E. Krebs, "Electromographic Analysis
of Human False Platform Jumping Experiments," Journal of Applied Physiology,
(in review) 2001.
- Poon, C.-S., Tryfonidis, M., and D.J. Newman, "Bayesian Optimization of
Visuomotor Performance in Human Decision," Science, (in review) 2001.
- Jackson, D.K., D.J. Newman and D.E. Krebs, "False Platform Jump Landings
in Humans Reveal Commanded Free Trajectories and Leg Impedance," Journal
of Biomechanics, (in progress) 2001.
- Carr, C.E., Schwartz, S.J., Newman, D.J., "Preliminary Considerations
for Wearable Computing in Support off Astronaut Extravehicular Activity",
MIT Media Laboratory Technical Report, No. 551, September 2001.
- Poon, C.S., Tryfonidis, M., and D.J. Newman, "Bayesian Optimization
of Visuomotor Performance in Human Decision," Science, (in review)
- Jackson, D.K., Newman, D.J., and D.E. Krebs, "False Platform Jump
Landings in Humans Reveal Commanded Free Trajectories and Leg Impedance,"
Journal of Biomechanics, (in progress) 2002.
- London, A., Smith, R. and D. Newman (faculty advisor), "MISSION:
Method of Improving Space Simulation in a 0-g Natatorium." in EMOTE:
Electronic Multimedia Online Textbook in Engineering for Aeronautics
and Astronautics, Barrett, E., ed., March 1994.
- Newman, D.J., "Dynamic
Load Sensors (DLS) Spaceflight Experiment."
- Newman, D.J., "Aerospace Education
Curriculum." On-line materials developed for high school outreach.
- Jackson, D.K., Newman, D.J. and E. Bailey, "XVINET an on-line directory
and resource for Aeronautics and Astronautics students, alumni/ae, faculty,
and staff," database and website development including: mentoring, employment
searches, mentoring, feedback on department activities, and regional networking.
- Newman, D.J., “Space Biomedical Engineering.” On-line materials
developed for MIT and Harvard HST graduate course as well as for distribution
to 12-member NSBRI university consortium. http://paperairplane.mit.edu/16.423J
- Saleh, J. H.., Torres-Padilla, J. P., Hastings, d. E., Newman, D. J., “To
Reduce or to Extend a Complex Engineering System Design Lifetime? What is at
Stake, for Whom, and How to Resolve the Dilemma” ESD Symposium, Cambridge,
MA, March 2004.
- Jordan, N. C., Saleh, J. H., and Newman, D. J., "The Extravehicular Mobility Unit: Case Study in Requirements Evolution," Technology, Management and Policy Consortium Meeting, Cambridge, MA, June 2005.
- Newman, D.J., “Space Biomedical Sciences and Engineering Curriculum and Outreach Project” NSBRI Final Report, August, 2005.
- Webster, Bruce Naakaii Ts’oh, Newman, D.J., Jarchow, T. “Low Magnitude High Frequency Vibrations Applied to the Foot through the Pedal of a Human Powered Artificial Gravity (HPAG) Machine”, Cleveland Clinic Foundation Space Workshop, August, 2005.
- Newman, D.J., “Human Powered Artificial Gravity Cycle”, Final Report, Sept. 2005.
- Newman, D.J., “The Power of Revolutionary Thinking: What Today’s Scientists Can Teach You About Driving Innovation in Your Organization”, MIT Enterprise Forum Global Broadcast Series, Atlanta, GA, September 22, 2005.
- Newman, D.J., “Bio-Suit Advanced Space Suit Phase II Final Report”, January, 2006.
- Stirling, L.A., Newman, D.J. “Microgravity Investigation of Crew Reaction in 0g (Adapt)”, C-9 and Other Microgravity Simulations, NASA/TM-2006-213727, PP. 93-99.
- “Soldier Protective Clothing and Equipment: Feasibility of Chemical Testing Using a Fully Articulated Robotic Mannequin” Committee on Full-System Testing and Evaluation of Personal Protection Equipment Ensembles in Simulated Chemical-Warfare Environments, National Research Council ISBN: 0-309-10934-5, 178 pages, 6 x 9, (2007).
- Johnson, B. J., Newman, D. J., “Optimization of a Planning Support System for Planetary Exploration Extravehicular Activities”, MRSP research project, August 2008.
- Newman, D.J., Opperman, R., “EVA Injury, Comfort and Protection,” MIT, Dept. of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Technical Report, PO# 293723 for ILC, Dover, Sept. 5, 2008.
- Stirling, L., Goldman, E.C., Newman, D.J., Symposium: “Informational Guidance and Distributed Control In Design of Assistive Devices”, International Conference on Perception and Action, Minneapolis, MN, July 1, 2009.
- Rivera, L., Newman, D. J., Trotti, G., “Future Lunar Exploration: Enabling Humans and Rovers Far and Beyond Through Design and Engineering”, MSRP research project, August 2009.
- Johnson, A. J., Dowding, J., Marquez, J., Sierhuis, M., Newman, D.J., Hoffman, J., Clancey, W.J., “An Integrated EVA Mission Planner and Exploration Support Tool for Lunar Exploration”, abstract, NLSI Lunar Science Forum 2009, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, California, July 21-23, 2009.
- Young D., Newman D.J., Goldfield E., “Extended Kalman Filtering for Tracking Joint Kinematics During Infant Supine Kicking”, NSF National Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) PI Meeting, Arlington, VA, August 10-12, 2010.
- Wessendorf A., Weatherly J., Stirling L, Newman D.J., Goldfield E., “Motion Analysis Technique for Skin Strain Field Analysis”, NSF National Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) PI Meeting, Arlington, VA, August 10-12, 2010.
- D. Young, D. Newman. Chapter: Augmenting Exploration: Aerospace, Sea and Self. Wearable Monitoring Systems. Eds. Annalisa Bonfiglio and Danilo De Rossi. Springer Science, 2011.
- Duda, K.R., Vasquez, R., Middleton, A.J., Newman, D., Jacobs, S.E., " Variable Vector CountermeasureSuit (V2Suit) For Space Exploration" HRP 2013 Investigators Workshop.
- Duda, J.E., Opperman, R.A, Meyen, F.E., Jawdat, N., Newman, D.J.,Hoffman, J.A., Perusek, G., "Lower Body Development Of A Space Suit Simulator For EVA Experimentation and Training" HRP 2013 Investigators Workshop.
- Meyen, F., Duda, J.E, Opperman, R.A., Jawdat, N., Newma, D.J., Hoffman, J., Perusek, G., " Engineering an AnthropomorphicExoskeleton for Actively Controlled Space Suit Simulation" HRP 2013 Investigators Workshop.
- Holschuh, B.,Obropta, E., Newman, D., " Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) Coil Actuators For Use in Controllable Mechanical Counter-Pressure (MCP) Spacesuits" HRP 2013 Investigators Workshop.
- Kendrick, D., Waldie, J., Newman., " The Gravity Loading Countermeasure Skinsuit" HRP 2013 Investigators Workshop.
- Anderson, A., Diaz, D., Kracik, M., Trotti, G., Hoffman, J., Newman, D.J.," Understanding Human- Space Suit Interaction to Prevent Injury During Extravehicular Activity" HRP 2013 Investigators Workshop.
- Meyen, F., Duda, J.E., Opperman, R.A., Jawdat, N., Newman, D.J., Hoffman, J., Perusek " Engineering the Hip Joint for an Anthropomorphic Exoskeleton for Actively Controlled Space Suit Simulation" HRP 2013 Investigators Workshop.
- Keddrick, D., Waldie, J., Newman, D., " THE GRAVITY COUNTERMEASURE SKINSUIT" HRP 2013.
- A. Anderson, A. Diaz, M. Kracik, G. Trotti, J. Hoffman, D.J. Newman," UNDERSTANDING HUMAN-SPACE SUIT INTERACTION TO PREVENT INJURY DURING EXTRAVEHICULAR ACTIVITY"HRP 2013.
- K. R. Duda, R. Vasquez, A. J. Middleton, D. J. Newman, and S.E. Jacobs, 'Variable Vector Countermeasure Suit (V2Suit) for Space Habitation and Exploration', 2013 NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts Spring Symposium March 12–14, 2013 Chicago, IL.
- Holschuh, B., Obropta, E., Newman, D., " Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) Coil Actuators for use in Controllable Mechanical Counter-Pressure (MCP) Spacesuits" NASA Human Research Conference, Galveston, TX 2013.
- Duda, K.R., Vasquez, R., Middleton, A. J., Newman, D.J., Jacobs, S.E., " Variable Vector Countemeasure Suit (V2Suit) For Space Exploration" NASA Human Research Program Conference, Galveston, TX, 2013.
Book and Journal Papers .
Conference Papers .
Other Major Publications .
Internal Memoranda and Progress Reports
Back to Dava Newman's Homepage