- Jiyoung Ahn
- Doctoral Candidate, Chemical Engineering
- Project: Mucin containing LbL assemblies
- co-advised by Michael F. Rubner, Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Yonsei University, 2011
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (617) 253-6478
- Office: 66-357
Mucin is large group of glycoproteins consisting of a linear polypeptide backbone with alternating naked and densely glycosylated regions. Mucin provides a protective barrier toward pathogens and lubricates the epithelial surface. Because of its interesting characteristic and biological behavior, mucin has been used for the monolayer adsorption onto various types of surfaces. However, it has not been explored in detail and a large number of important features were not fully discovered. Here, we are aiming to understand the biological functions of mucin in detail and combine this knowledge with layer-by-layer assembly to build multilayers which retains the same biological features.
This work is in collaboration with Prof. Katharina Ribbeck in the Biological Engineering Department.