MIT: Independent Activities Period: IAP

For-Credit Subjects: Guidelines

The information below is provided for IAP subject organizers and includes details on organizer eligibility, determining credit units, class scheduling, safety and liability, reserving rooms and equipment, and subject posting instructions.

Subjects offered for academic credit must be sponsored by an MIT academic department and must have faculty supervision. Only the academic department's authorized IAP administrator may post a for-credit subject. For a current list of designated IAP administrators for academic departments, go to the IAP Coordinators by Sponsor list.

Be sure to consult the Dates and Deadlines in the About section for important IAP 2013 dates.

NOTE: If you wish to bypass this information and begin using the IAP for-credit posting system, go to the Post/Revise Your IAP Subject page.

How to Determine Units for IAP Credit Subjects

Policy on IAP credit, including assignment of units, is outlined on the Office of the Registrar website

Safety and Liability

Institute Guidelines for health, safety, and legal regulations, as well as policies for the use of MIT facilities, must be met for all subjects. See the Safety and Liability page in the About IAP section for complete details

Reserving Rooms and Audio-Visual Equipment

Subject organizers are responsible for scheduling and reserving rooms for their classes listing a location on the IAP subject posting form does not reserve the room. Organizers also assume responsibility for ordering audio-visual equipment when needed, and associated costs. Below are instructions on booking MIT rooms and ordering AV equipment.

Who to Contact

Considerations for Reserving a Room

  1. Ask about policies regarding setting up and cleaning up, as well as securing the room.
  2. Check out the room in advance. Familiarize yourself with light switches, outlets, thermostats, and controls for projection screens and other equipment.
  3. You will receive an event number (if booked by the Schedules Office) or a reservation number (if booked by Campus Activities Complex). Until you have one of these numbers, the location of your subject is not confirmed.

If you need help regarding rooms, contact your department, center, or office IAP Coordinator.

Obtaining and Operating Audio-Visual Equipment

Some sponsors borrow equipment from a department, center, laboratory, or office, or from the area where your subject will be taught. If equipment cannot be borrowed, it may be rented from the MIT Audio-Visual Service. For any rental, a valid MIT Card is needed. Charges not billed to an MIT account are due in full, up front, at the time the equipment is rented.

Operators must be hired for certain rooms with projection booths. The organization confirming your room reservation will be able to advise you on all A/V issues specific to that room.

For information on having an IAP subject videotaped OR for information on producing a video for use in your subject, contact: Video Productions Services.