[ mission | organization
| purpose | facilities
| events | history
Exploring the World Through Light
The George R. Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory is engaged in research
in the field of modern optics and spectroscopy for the purpose of
furthering fundamental knowledge of atoms and molecules and pursuing
advanced engineering biomedical applications.
The Spectroscopy Laboratory is an interdepartmental and inter-school laboratory at MIT, administered through the Department of Chemistry. Robert J. Silbey, Professor of Chemisty,
is the acting Director. Robert Field, Professor of Chemistry and
Dr. Ramachandra R. Dasari, Principal Research Scientist in the Laboratory,
are Associate Directors.
Research activities can be grouped in two major categories: research
in physical science which includes
molecular and condensed-phase spectroscopy, and biomedical
physics and engineering.
Centers and Facilities
The Laboratory houses the MIT Laser
Biomedical Research Center (LBRC), supported by the National
Institutes of Health.
The LBRC supports core and collaborative research and independent projects by outside investigators
from academia, government and industrial institutions and its facilities are open for biological and biomedicine research. Please see guidelines for further details.
The Spectroscopy Laboratory sponsors workshops and seminars throughout
the academic year in various aspects of spectroscopy and laser applications
to biomedicine. Announcements for the seminars and workshops are
made via the website, newsletters and MIT
Founded in 1931 by Karl T. Compton and George R. Harrison, the Spectroscopy
Laboratory has a long, distinguished history in the field of spectroscopy.
Originally a world-recognized center for classical atomic spectroscopy
and later a leader in infrared and Raman spectroscopic techniques,
the Laboratory is continually pursuing new frontiers in spectroscopy
such as the development of spectroscopic techniques to diagnose