- 3 September 2012
- Here we go! The smite fall 2012 season is underway! The upperclassmen are reunited and we're pumped to meet all the new freshman. Our first couple of events/important dates are listed below:
- Tuesday, Sept 4, 1:30 - 4pm Reg Day picnic and pickup. Nom noms and ultimate! Last day of summer...
- Wednesday, Sept 5, 5 - 5:30pm New players' meeting. Meet your captains and ask any questions that you might have.
- Thursday, Sept 6, 4:30 - 7pm FIRST PRACTICE :D :D
Practices in general will be Mon/Thurs, 4:30-7, but please check the calendar each week.
- 15 August 2012
- Highlight video from the 2011-2012 season is up! That's some pretty hot editing by our art captain, Evie Adams! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGuFB8vM6sk
- 17 June 2012
- Nerds love numbers! Interested in season stats? Check out a summary of the data from the 2012 season.
- 5-6 May 2012
- Ah, another slow news update. Yay end of semester! The New England regional championships were hosted, once again, by Dartmouth college, and again, ample space, good weather, and beautiful fields made this an enjoyable tournament. MIT was seeded sixth in the 16-team tournament, putting them second in Pool C. On day 1, every team in all four pools held seed, and in second place, this put smite in the championship bracket. A drawn out, tired, 15-4 win over UMass Amherst put MIT into the quarterfinals, where they would face hosts Dartmouth the next day.
Saturday ended before 3 p.m., giving MIT plenty of time to rest (and take ice baths in the hotel). On Sunday morning, smite was ready to fight, but Dartmouth came out stronger. After going down 0-4 to start, MIT finally punched one in. From that point until half, Dartmouth only outscored MIT 4-3, with MIT managing two breaks. Coming out of the half, though, Dartmouth's larger roster and taller players were too much for MIT, and smite was knocked out of the tournament after a hard fought 7-15 loss. It's time now to disperse for the summer, but rest assured, smite ladies have already gotten back into the routine of playing ultimate and even--believe it or not--doing voluntary track workouts.
sMITe went 2-3 in pool play and started bracket play off against 6th-seeded Boston College. After an early scare, going down 5-2, sMITe rallied to take half and never looked back. This put MIT into the championship bracket, but we were pitted against number one seed Tufts, whose zone D and efficient offense was simply too much for sMITe. The loss set MIT up for a rematch against Harvard in the 3rd/4th place game. Learning from the earlier game, sMITe attacked with renewed vigor and ran away with the game 15-5.
- 30 Mar - 1 Apr 2012
- For the second weekend of spring break, sMITe participated in two local, single-day tournaments. On Saturday, the team earned a second place at Stonehill's Get Skyyed, narrowly losing to the hosts in the final, 13-15. A valiant run of 3 unanswered points was not enough for MIT to overcome an 8-3 defecit at halftime, but sMITe showed they don't roll over when the chips are down and strung together a solid zone O. Another highlight of the day was a 13-0 win against UMass in the semifinals; the first shutout in recent years.
Sunday's tournament was hosted by UNH, although the final ended up being two Boston teams. The outcome this time was different, with MIT fighting for a victory against BU, 10-7 after hard cap. 10 games in two days with a light squad showed that sMITe is fit and ready for anything, and now it's time to rest up and prepare for the conference tournament.
- 24-25 Mar 2012
- sMITe traveled to Austin, TX to participate in Women's Centex for the first time in recent years. A late addition to the DII pool, we showed that we deserved the bump-up and came away with a tie for 7th place in the DII bracket, a higher finish than any other New England team. Several individuals stepped up and played better than ever before, but most promising was the cooperation and flow on offense and the tenacity and aggresiveness on D.
- 22 Mar 2012
- The "Beanpot Series" of individual, USAU sanctioned games wrapped up tonight with a win against Boston College, 15-5. MIT also hosted Northeastern University on Feb 26th. In 45mph winds, sMITe came away with a 9-8 win. On Mar 17th, we hosted Brandeis University and definitively took the game 15-3.