The objective of this experiment is to demonstrate the interference pattern obtained from combining coherent monochromatic light beams using a Michelson interferometer setup. You will ultimately derive the wavelength of the light source from your measured interference pattern.
Lab Guide in PDF format
- B.P. Abbott et al., LIGO: the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory, Rep. Prog. Phys. 72 076901 (2009)
- A.A. Michelson and E.W. Morley, On the Relative Motion of the Earth and the Luminiferous Ether, American Journal of Science 34, 333 (1887)
- E. Hecht, Optics (Addison-Wesley, 1998)
- Thorlabs Piezoelectric Actuator Specifications
- Thorlabs Si Fixed Gain Detector Specifications